Bucs select Kyle Trask in the second round Meh

This pick kinda makes sense, but it kinda doesn't.  I would have rather focused on the Dline and Oline completely in this draft.  Build depth and plan for the future.  That said, perhaps that is what the Bucs are thinking with this pick.  Maybe they are eyeing Trask to be the future of the Bucs once the GOAT has retired, learning the GOAT way for a year or two...  Who knows.  At least Licht didn't draft a kicker.

2 hours ago, rook said:

I would have gone with a center.

The center the Bucs wanted was taken by the a chiefs right before them....so while the Chiefs got “revenge” for being bitchslapped in the Super Bowl, the Bucs may have drafted Brady’s successor and gave him a couple seasons to learn behind the GOAT.

I’m fine with this pick....and I usually think most Gators suck ass in the NFL...but I am good with this pick.

15 minutes ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

Our last FSU QB was a consensus top 2 talent and that didn’t work out very well... 

Top 2 for that year.  I think a lot of people saw them both (Winston and Mariota) as having serious flaws.  I would have loved to unload the pick in a trade, but I doubt there were teams desperate to make that move.  Mariota lacked some skills needed by NFL QBs, and Winston appeared to have the talent, and made poor life decisions indicative of a lack discipline and maturity that I think we saw during his tenure as a Buc.  Winston could still end up making it and it appears the Saints like him.

Anyway, we need a solid backup QB behind Brady, a legitimate #2.  I don't think Griffin would have gone for 1.2 million if he fit that role.  So Trask could very well not be Brady's replacement, but even if he doesn't, he might be someone who can take over the offense and win some games if our starting QB goes down.  The take on him is that he was willing to wait his turn to start and was a good game manager.   Also, he's cheap.  So instead of paying 5-8 million a year for a good backup for the next 4 years, we have a 2nd rounder on a rookie contract.  I like the pick.

After the Bucs selected the versatile offensive lineman in round 3, I guess I’m okay with selecting Trask.  He is a smart pocket passer who makes good reads and doesn’t cripple the offense with bad turnovers.  Plus, he can learn under Brady for a year or two.  That being said, I would more comfortable with the pick if Arians was 58 instead of 68.  I’m guessing Arians will retire after Brady hangs it up for good.  So, unless the plan is for Leftwich to take over after Arians steps down, Trask will be playing for a new coach who didn’t draft him, and in a new system.

On 5/1/2021 at 11:43 AM, Axe said:

When Brady calls it a day in two yrs, Arians will too. And naturally the new regime will want "Their" guy.. If the next HC isn't on the staff already then Trask will end up being a wasted 2nd rd pick.

Don’t be surprised if the next guy is Bowles or Leftwich, and they have ‘their guy’, but with two years experience. 

On 5/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, jspaldin said:

I honestly believe the Bucs are better served looking for the QB of the future in FA when Tom says he is ready to retire. I think the pick could have been better used on depth somewhere else on the roster.

But we still need a legitimate backup QB.

I agree with you that we will probably go FA for our starter again, but I also like the pick.  For a late 2nd rounder, we picked up what should be a good backup QB for the next 4 years, and instead of paying 5+ million a year, we're paying 1.3 million.  Yeah, there's a good chance he's not starter material, but we will still need insurance while we're looking for that talented FA QB to replace Brady.  We still need someone who can take the reins.  And then there's a chance he ends up being a Brad Johnson type of QB.

So I think the pick works nicely, and it works well if we change head coaches when Brady retires because we wont have anything invested really at the QB position.  Also, our HC change will likely be internal if that happens.  Chances are we'll have to deal with a cap hell type of situation, and frankly the new HC might just toss him in there to run the team on the cheap to clear all that dead cap space.  Then maybe he ends up being a Brad Johnson type.

30 minutes ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

Don’t be surprised if the next guy is Bowles or Leftwich, and they have ‘their guy’, but with two years experience. 

That's precisely why I said what I said.

9 hours ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

Don’t be surprised if the next guy is Bowles or Leftwich...

Yep, I always thought (and still believe) Bowles would be Arians’ replacement if he doesn’t get hired on as HC elsewhere...

On 5/1/2021 at 12:30 AM, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

Our last FSU QB was a consensus top 2 talent and that didn’t work out very well... 

Just to be clear, I’m not a college ball guy at all.  I watch highlight films of positions of interest, that’s about it.

But I’ve never seen a Gator QB live up to the hype at all.  We had a FSU QB help us win a Lombardi once, but I think he’s the only one from that school that had any real accomplishments.  I’m not in the whole UF V FSU war at all, just noting that UF QBs always seem to fail to meet expectations at the next level. 

The combination of that observation with the fact that Trask has never beaten out competition on his own team at any level makes me think it’s unlikely he’s going to become notable as a pro.

I’d love to be proven wrong, and maybe this coaching staff is unlike every other Bucs staff before on that they’ll be able to develop a signal caller. 

12 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

But we still need a legitimate backup QB.

And I think that can be better served via FA as well. Every season there are X number of QB's who have aged out of starting capacity but may be good for one or two games if needed. I literally have no trust that Trask is going to come in and save the season if Brady goes down. I have more trust in Gabbert in that role and if we need an understudy to the understudy (Gabbert), don't waste a 2nd rounder on them.