Ok Bucs fans, we need to make a decision.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok then, no politics board.  I can do an In the News which could bring some commentary on current events.  There will be a NSFW area as well, so all things related to Llamas will be included it will be called what Axe suggested.  There will be a all encompassing "Other Sports" board.

There will be two moderators and myself.  I am not going to moderate the board, but will enforce the MODs decisions.  I will not ban anyone as long as people do not threaten others.  Shit talk will happen, but that wont get you banned.  This isn't my board as it belongs to everyone that contributes.

I am hoping my buddy has this ready to go in a week or two.  He has been dealing with his father who had a couple strokes, so he is putting the time in when he can.  Either way, I hope to see all of you there and I will work toward bringing some new people over as well.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:49 AM, SamuraiBuc said:

Can't wait, Blaque!

Quick question that I don't recall seeing here (maybe I missed it): Will you have a DONATE button so we can help embedded in the new site?

There will be no donate button.  As I said, if it comes to that I will put up a donate button, but this is costing me less than you might think.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update for you guys.  I am looking at the second week of June at the latest.  My friend who is supposed to do it hasn't had the time to put in so I am going to go it alone.  I am testing some software right now to see what works and doesn't work.  I looked at the software this site is run on but it is too damn expensive...and it just isn't worth what their offerings are. I see now why previous website holders asked for donations.

I am waiting for the price of the domain to come down which it should in a week or two.  Once the domain is available, I will pull the trigger on the hosting and install the software I pick.  Then I will let y'all check it out and test it out.  Look here for the post with the URL (not gonna tell you what it is yet) and what to do.  Then we will start kicking off.  As I said, look for mid June for us to go live 100%.  Then it's on to getting more members to come to our site.  I will also post on the Facebook page Bucs Chat Down and the FB page for this site for the new URL.

Might not be a bad idea for us (the community) to try to timeline the history of the group. We seem to have foundations in the old St. Pete Times and/or Tampa Tribune Bucs forums of the 1990's and if our group history could be presented to a Bucs' beat reporter and/or the Bucs themselves, they might do an article or two about 'us'. Which in turn could drive some traffic.

7 hours ago, jspaldin said:

We seem to have foundations in the old St. Pete Times and/or Tampa Tribune Bucs forums of the 1990's ...

Funny you should bring those forums up...I originally "joined" the St Pete Times forum in 1995 and recall when that forum would get as little as 2-3 posts a day.

That traffic is better than what this site gets nowadays!

Very sad.

The early vision of SPT was terrible with a unitary thread. You post message 248 and you might get a response back several hundred posts later. The thread version was much better. In 1995, Dilfer was an excitement killer. His first 21 games as starting QB were god awful. 5 TDs and 28 picks.

I came over from SPiT as well, joined in 1996.  I remember when it was slow then it picked up.  I was shocked at how many people moved over here coz I thought when SPiT ended, it would be the end of the group of posters from SPiT.   I came over here and was mostly on the politics section, but decided to step back from that.  I took a couple years away but would lurk every once in a while. 

On 5/26/2021 at 1:30 AM, jspaldin said:

Might not be a bad idea for us (the community) to try to timeline the history of the group. We seem to have foundations in the old St. Pete Times and/or Tampa Tribune Bucs forums of the 1990's and if our group history could be presented to a Bucs' beat reporter and/or the Bucs themselves, they might do an article or two about 'us'. Which in turn could drive some traffic.

That is a fantastic idea.  That would be a story in and of itself that we have stuck around for so long and we are still here.  Anyone know anyone over there?  I knew Hubert Mizell personally and was quite saddened by his death.  Tom Jones is a friend of a friend but he is no longer with the Times.  I will see what can be done to that end...if anyone has an in, try to use it. 

I will also be doing an AdWords campaign once training camp starts and run it through the season.  My goal for the end of the year is to have at least 500 named users by the end of the season.  Not saying they will always post, but the more users you have, the more posts.  I will not be running ads on the forum, as ads suck my left ********.  Any other ideas or feedback let me know.  This isn't my forum, but rather OUR forum so let me know what you want.  A few more weeks and we will be there. 

To get on the bandwagon, I was a TBO board member starting in 94 and that jumped to the Spit when TBO closed the forum. At the time, the TBO format was considerably easier to follow, but I seem to remember some of the second tier Bucs beat writers for the SP Times would pop in on their Board to get the 'pulse' of BucNation.

And then there was the Athenalink Board............

I know the Internet is supposed to be forever but they shut down that board in May 2007. I would figure at some point it would disappear esp it was created as part of the St Petersburg Times. When they changed to the Tampa Bay Times, I would tend to think they would have trashed it. The old archives of the St Petersburg Times would probably have a higher priority than a bulletin board no longer in use.

4 hours ago, jspaldin said:

FYI, the oldest SPiT Armchair QB I could find on Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/19980130233756/http://tampabay.com/GuestBooks/bucs/Default.html

Dude...just read some of those old posts -- mine included -- to and quote Kenny Chesney, "I go baaaaaack...."

• PhilGar...loved that dude! Wish I could've met him.
  • Ryan/Annalisa -- great couple whom I DID meet once when I had a business trip in DC...Ryan was just as funny in person, and Annalisa lived up to her role as the good looking "beer wench" who loved to eat quesadillas.
  • JagRoar -- OMFG!!! Pete Newell who was afraid of black shoes and the Bucs' "Disney" uniforms. Dance, clown boy...
  • Kama'aian Bucman -- fellow military Buc fan...and he was living the dream in Hawaii.
  • Will C -- OMFG, also loved that man!

Thanks for the memory road, jspaldin...I laughed out loud so much that I was dry heaving...

On 5/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, jspaldin said:

FYI, the oldest SPiT Armchair QB I could find on Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/19980130233756/http://tampabay.com/GuestBooks/bucs/Default.html

Not having any luck finding remnants of the the TBO Bucs Board from back in the day.

Cool! Great memories of posters there. And good to see I (BW) was recorded having an actual football post. :D

On 5/27/2021 at 7:10 PM, MadMac said:

Dude...just read some of those old posts -- mine included -- to and quote Kenny Chesney, "I go baaaaaack...."

• PhilGar...loved that dude! Wish I could've met him.
  • Ryan/Annalisa -- great couple whom I DID meet once when I had a business trip in DC...Ryan was just as funny in person, and Annalisa lived up to her role as the good looking "beer wench" who loved to eat quesadillas.
  • JagRoar -- OMFG!!! Pete Newell who was afraid of black shoes and the Bucs' "Disney" uniforms. Dance, clown boy...
  • Kama'aian Bucman -- fellow military Buc fan...and he was living the dream in Hawaii.
  • Will C -- OMFG, also loved that man!

Thanks for the memory road, jspaldin...I laughed out loud so much that I was dry heaving...

:boobs:

On 5/27/2021 at 2:33 PM, jspaldin said:

To get on the bandwagon, I was a TBO board member starting in 94 and that jumped to the Spit when TBO closed the forum. At the time, the TBO format was considerably easier to follow, but I seem to remember some of the second tier Bucs beat writers for the SP Times would pop in on their Board to get the 'pulse' of BucNation.

And then there was the Athenalink Board............

Frank used to give that jackass so called moderator/Bucs beat writer hell on TBO🤣

Back then I used TBO more than The SPIT because of the formats

15 hours ago, Axe said:

Frank used to give that jackass so called moderator/Bucs beat writer hell on TBO🤣

Back then I used TBO more than The SPIT because of the formats

Good times...err, Trib ;) 😛 

I used the Internet Archive to find the Spit material, it had a number of captures of the old Spit Bucs board. Unfortunately, it appears the Trib board was not captured. There are links to it in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Rib's old Bucs sports page, but the forum pages will not load. It appears that the old Trib forum was on some sort of proprietary software that may have made it not conducive to the spiderbot harvesting that the Wayback Machine used back then.