Justin Watson Credited for a Sack on the Fake Punt!

The weirdest play in TB history was Brad Johnson throwing a pick on a pass to Ken Dilger.  The Colts db gets hit from behind by Center John Wade and coughs up the football into Keenan McCardell's hands who takes the fumble in for a TD. It would be one of my favorite plays of all time except what else happened later that night. I also remember Ronde Barber's punt return against Chicago for a TD in 1998. It was not really a punt return except NFL official stats call any blocked punt that goes beyond the line of scrimmage a punt return if it is taken back for a TD.

Watson got credit for a sack as the punter made an effort to pass before running the ball. I know Daryl Johnston thought it was a draw but having seen the Panthers previous fakes, it was pass to the middle that was covered. The punter took off as an unsuccessful Plan B.

I remember the play. Paul Stewart had a video on it. It was intercepted by the very forgettable Vince Heflin, We still lost 48-14. The 1986 Bucs was going into a fire sales before canning the great Leeman Bennett and his 4-28 record. I think we got rid of Jimmie Giles and almost any decent player with a pulse other than James Wilder. We gave up on Steve Young which was good for him as he would have rotted under Hugh Culverhouse. Niners saved his career.

https://www.bucpower.com/1986game14.htm

Dammit BUCS63 - you beat me too it
That is easily the most bizarre play I have ever seen.

Trailing 24-23 to the Phoenix Cardinals on September 18, 1988, the Bucs had the ball just across midfield, needing a yard. With 11 minutes remaining in the game, they faced a third-and-one at the Cardinal 47, and they called upon running back Lars Tate to run a dive straight over the middle.

The two lines collided violently, creating a mass of bodies that Tate was able to leap over, acrobatically. As he cleared the top of the mountain of men and slalomed down the other side, he rolled completely over and ended up landing on his feet.

First down, mission accomplished, play over, right? The rookie back out of Georgia wasn't so sure.

"It was so weird," Tate said later. "I didn't hear a whistle or feel any hits, so I just kept jogging and looking back. Next thing I knew, people on the sideline were yelling, 'Go, go,' so I figured the play was still alive and I took off."

What the Bucs' sideline had figured out took a little longer to register on Cardinal defenders, and Tate was able to dash the rest of the way to the end zone for the go-ahead score.

1 hour ago, rook said:

It was not as bizarre as it was unusual but Vinny Testaverde's 548yard run for  a TD against Minnesota as no one ever thinks of Vinny as a skilled running QB. He was the first Buccaneer QB to rush for over 100 yards. It is amazing since Doug Williams, Mike Rae and Steve Young were better running QBs.

lol. I remember the highlights of that run. He was so awkward and unnatural running the football.

5 hours ago, rook said:

It was not as bizarre as it was unusual but Vinny Testaverde's 48yard run for  a TD against Minnesota as no one ever thinks of Vinny as a skilled running QB. He was the first Buccaneer QB to rush for over 100 yards. It is amazing since Doug Williams, Mike Rae and Steve Young were better running QBs.

Yeah but I do remember him in his youth (ute) scrambling effectively.  He did look like a retarded flamingo trying to run and it was so funny to watch, likely defensers couldn't concentrate because they were laughing so hard. 

The Panthers Chinn took on the chin for not catching Rojo but he was suppose to be the WR on the fake punt. Trouble is as eligible receiver and gunner, he can be legally blocked on the punt play, The Bucs special team LB Chapele Russell legally blocked him and  prevented him from getting downfield on the fake punt. Running the ball was definitely Plan B.

2 hours ago, rook said:

The Panthers Chinn took on the chin for not catching Rojo but he was suppose to be the WR on the fake punt. Trouble is as eligible receiver and gunner, he can be legally blocked on the punt play, The Bucs special team LB Chapele Russell legally blocked him and  prevented him from getting downfield on the fake punt. Running the ball was definitely Plan B.

It's a damn good thing some moron ref didn't call the Bucs for defensive holding, not out of the realm of the fuckery the zebras like to foist on all things Buc.