Saints-Vikings

mistermarty

I think it was Cris Carter that had the best analysis of what Marcus Williams did. Its not that he held up the hit to avoid the PI, it's that he put himself in that position in the first place. He went flying in so fast to make a splash play that he had too much speed to control himself. If he notches it down a tick, all he would be doing is wrapping up Diggs for an in-bounds tackle.

But he also talked about how badly, after a timeout, the Saints aligned the defensive backfield for the play. They had two LB's covering the center of the field withing 10-15 yards of the LOS. The should have been deeper back because any play in the center of the field is game over (short of it being a TD). If the LB's are deeper, the safety and corner coverage can be tighter to the sidelines and keep Diggs in front and in-bounds.

On another note, been loving surfing YouTube and watching Aints' fan reaction to that play. Saw one that was part of a compilation where they were already celebrating with 10 seconds to go and then their world fell around them. Such sweet schadenfreude. Definite Cartman tears moment....

tenor.gif

18 hours ago, jspaldin said:

I think it was Cris Carter that had the best analysis of what Marcus Williams did. Its not that he held up the hit to avoid the PI, it's that he put himself in that position in the first place. He went flying in so fast to make a splash play that he had too much speed to control himself. If he notches it down a tick, all he would be doing is wrapping up Diggs for an in-bounds tackle.

Thanks for posting this.  Been debating friends all day, those saying what a horrible missed tackle.  I tried explaining if you watch it in slow-motion, he arrived before the ball, and it's easy to understand that he was trying to avoid the P.I. call.  But yeah, having read this, you're right (or CC is)--probably should have more awareness of the fact no one was behind him in case he wiffed on the "splash" play.  Probably should have slowed down to ensure a tackle is made.

20 hours ago, bucs63 said:

That little girl with the glasses who slams her phone down has been traumatized. So much so that she's destined to perform despicable and degrading acts most of her adult life in the French Quarter. Not on Bourbon Street but the seediest streets like the end of Royal upstairs in a dark and dirty studio.

Great game though.

Her reaction is how I feel every week watching the fucking Bucs.  At least the Aints know what the playoffs are.

:ROTFLMAO:

FYI, best explanation, including animated field chart, of how this play worked out and what the Aints did wrong on D and Diggs did right in the catch and run. There appears to be at least 3 D players who really played this play badly.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/16/16892910/vikings-saints-minnesota-miracle-how-stefon-diggs-case-keenum

Saw an interesting comment that was brilliant. The Aints should have tackled every receiver at the line of scrimmage on the snap. It would have run off at least 5 seconds before Keenum could have recognized that all his receivers are down anddumped off the ball to stop the clock. The issue is it eats up so much time and its only a 5 yard penalty, putting the ball at the Vikes 44. That means you go into complete prevent D on the last play and there is no way possible to get the ball out of bounds in time for a field goal.

7 hours ago, Craig B. said:

Thanks for posting this.  Been debating friends all day, those saying what a horrible missed tackle.  I tried explaining if you watch it in slow-motion, he arrived before the ball, and it's easy to understand that he was trying to avoid the P.I. call.  But yeah, having read this, you're right (or CC is)--probably should have more awareness of the fact no one was behind him in case he wiffed on the "splash" play.  Probably should have slowed down to ensure a tackle is made.

One opinion I heard (may have been Louis Riddick) who mentioned the Vikings ran that same pattern a bunch of times and the Saints absolutely knew what was coming. So Williams, anticipating the pattern, got to the receiver too quick...much quicker than had he had to react first. This put him in a situation where he had to make an adjusment in his approach and threw him off completely.

Archived