CBS Sports asks: Is this just about Scapegoats?

CBS Sports breaks it down and asks: is Freeman a Scapegoat or did he get what he deserves?

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have given up on Josh Freeman. He is being benched after three games for a rookie third-round pick who didn't exactly light it up when he played in the preseason.

The question I ask is this: Are the Bucs doing the right thing by sitting Freeman and playing Mike Glennon?

I've heard and written about the disconnect between Freeman and coach Greg Schiano for the past six months, and this is clearly about that as much as anything. Schiano can't possibly look at the tape from the past two games and put his offensive troubles all on Freeman.

Full article here: http://www.cbssports...nspired-offense

Click here to view the article

Did anyone see the ESPN interview with Josh?  He looked like a college kid being asked about his Physics class.  No passion, just a lot of the same old Eeyore woe is me crap.  The media again catches itself in multiple hipocracies. If Schiano was the problem, teams would be busting down the doors to trade for a starting caliber QB.  The problem is that the other NFL teams have game film too.  Prisco has always been a hater of the team in Tampa Bay, I think he picked us to win 3 games last year, but now he loves their benched QB??

eeyore-clip-art-3.gif

To answer the question...He got what he deserved.

I agree with CBS its not all on Freeman. Sure the penalties, missed kicks and drops are not his fault.  The over throws, missed reads, the picks, lack of commitment and leadership squarely falls on him.  Schiano had no choice at 0 -3 we need to find out if Glennon can play in the NFL.  If not, we need a QB.  Unless we pick at the very top of the draft we may have to look at signing a vet (Rivers??) - I am not sure that we can wait 3 years to deveop a QB.

GoodLuck

One has to understand that the play of a QB is not the only thing that affects the team. The QB's attitude and mental toughness impact the other ten guys in the huddle. Dilfer was a perfect example of this... when he was on fire the Buccaneers moved the ball well... when he made a mistake he went in to a mental funk and the offense followed. Freeman in 2010 would make a mistake, but stay upbeat and deliver on the next series. He had confidence and swagger... since then he has slowly degraded in to being worse than Dilfer on a bad day.

He had confidence and swagger... since then he has slowly degraded in to being worse than Dilfer on a bad day.

Self motivation is key to being successful without a doubt. But, shouldn't the coaching staff do something to bolster confidence in the QB too? RG3, Geno Smith, and others had coordinators that based the scheme on their strengths. The Bucs haven't had a good tight end in forever, just got a good RB last season and still don't have a FB or another good blocking TE. The play calling looks like "my first NFL playbook" by Fisher price and the Bucs drafted a QB which doesn't do much to instill confidence. There are plenty trying to put all of this on Freeman. I believe that is such a short sighted stance it's unbeliveable. When Glennon gets out there and is booed at home in his first start(I hope it doesn't happen but it's pretty likely it will) then we will see Glennons confidence wane.

Twice in this article, Prisco faults the long-ball offensive plan. Pete doesn't realize that we have a long-ball attack because GHB can't throw intermediate passes. For as long as he has been under center, Free throws wide, high, low, and wrong shoulder to receivers in the 10 - 20 yard range. He is more accurate throwing 40 yards than 10. Thus the play design to eliminate a lot of short and crossing patterns.

If GHB had been able to complete such passes, he would still be the starter.

Self motivation is key to being successful without a doubt. But, shouldn't the coaching staff do something to bolster confidence in the QB too? RG3, Geno Smith, and others had coordinators that based the scheme on their strengths. The Bucs haven't had a good tight end in forever, just got a good RB last season and still don't have a FB or another good blocking TE. The play calling looks like "my first NFL playbook" by Fisher price and the Bucs drafted a QB which doesn't do much to instill confidence. There are plenty trying to put all of this on Freeman. I believe that is such a short sighted stance it's unbeliveable. When Glennon gets out there and is booed at home in his first start(I hope it doesn't happen but it's pretty likely it will) then we will see Glennons confidence wane.

Can we finally stop with all the fucking Freeman excuses? The guy is toast. He didn't do shit to become better and lead this team.

I know I know...it's Schinao's fault..it's Mike Sullivan's fault..it's Glennon's fault...it's Rah Rah's fault..it's Greg Olsen's fault....

All Freeman had was a solid offensive ine, Pro bowl RB, Pro Bowl WR, Solid WR2...shit all he needed was an all Pro TE to give him enough weapons??? :facepalm

Twice in this article, Prisco faults the long-ball offensive plan. Pete doesn't realize that we have a long-ball attack because GHB can't throw intermediate passes. For as long as he has been under center, Free throws wide, high, low, and wrong shoulder to receivers in the 10 - 20 yard range. He is more accurate throwing 40 yards than 10. Thus the play design to eliminate a lot of short and crossing patterns.

But that's not Freeman's fault he was wildly inaccurate...it HAD to be someone else's fault.

It is a team effort.  First up, Freeman got what he deserved.  Should Glennon play terrible and the teams other weaknesses continue to be exposed (no tight end, no #3 receiver, no 3rd down back, no consistent pass rush, no #2 corner), maybe Dominik will finally get what he deserves.  And, if the GM goes, the head coach may not be far behind.

I agree with the point you're making, except for the part about him being more accurate with the long ball. At times he's made some great deep throws, but it's likely the time receivers have to adjust on a deep throw that usually makes the difference.

Curious who, in today's NFL is a better FB than Lorig and why you think we need another blocking TE. Pass catching TE? I'll buy that, but another Byham?

The Bucs used Meredith as a Tackle eligible on Sunday to great effectiveness. They don't need another pass blocking TE. A guy who can get open and catch a pass would help.

I remember reading where PJ Fleck came right out and said the NFL has caught up, with our Offense.

But still, Josh flat played himself right out of a Job.

One has to ask, whatever happened to our one time Alpha Male QB, who lead us back from certain defeat many times, and did the Dirty Bird Dance, in the Atlanta end zone.

Where did THAT Josh Freeman go ?

Curious who, in today's NFL is a better FB than Lorig and why you think we need another blocking TE. Pass catching TE? I'll buy that, but another Byham?

I will answer for this guy, Tank. The only FB in the league that is "better" than Lorig is the guy from Baltimore (name escapes me). That being said, the pickings are slim because quite frankly, the FB is a dying position in the NFL. As far as TE goes, the Bucs need help BADLY..........they really have zero options at TE and their depth sucks (as we all know).

The bottom line is this guy is someone who continues to offer excuses as to why Freeman sucks (see a few posts above this beaut). My guess is he has watched very few Buc games over the last 3 seasons.

I remember reading where PJ Fleck came right out and said the NFL has caught up, with our Offense.

But still, Josh flat played himself right out of a Job.

One has to ask, whatever happened to our one time Alpha Male QB, who lead us back from certain defeat many times, and did the Dirty Bird Dance, in the Atlanta end zone.

Where did THAT Josh Freeman go ?

He is riding the pine........which is where he should have been his whole career.

I will answer for this guy, Tank. The only FB in the league that is "better" than Lorig is the guy from Baltimore (name escapes me). That being said, the pickings are slim because quite frankly, the FB is a dying position in the NFL. As far as TE goes, the Bucs need help BADLY..........they really have zero options at TE and their depth sucks (as we all know).

The bottom line is this guy is someone who continues to offer excuses as to why Freeman sucks (see a few posts above this beaut). My guess is he has watched very few Buc games over the last 3 seasons.

Better FBs than Lorig:

1.Vontae Leach - Baltimore

2.Michael Robinson - seattle

3. Jerome Felton - Minn

4. Bruce Miller - SF

All of those FBs are better than Lorig season after season and you seem to be the only person who thinks Lorig is the 2nd best FB in the league. Please feel free to show me where more knowledgeable NFL people say otherwise and I will reconsider my stance.

The bottom line is not that I am someone who continues to offer excuses for Freeman. The bottom line is I am commenting on the subject of this thread with my opinion on what ails this team and it isn't just Freeman. I don't give a flip if Freeman plays another snap here but I DO give a flip about our atrocious handling of the POSITION of QB as an organization. I've watched AND/OR ATTENDED almost all of the Bucs games for the last 15 years and don't need some other fan of the team lecturing me on what I see on and off the field. Speak for yourself, respect that others have different opinions and stay respectful of others opinions and I'll do the same for you.

Can we finally stop with all the fucking Freeman excuses? The guy is toast. He didn't do shit to become better and lead this team.

I know I know...it's Schinao's fault..it's Mike Sullivan's fault..it's Glennon's fault...it's Rah Rah's fault..it's Greg Olsen's fault....

All Freeman had was a solid offensive ine, Pro bowl RB, Pro Bowl WR, Solid WR2...shit all he needed was an all Pro TE to give him enough weapons??? :facepalm

I'm not making excuses for Freeman I am calling it like it is. Just because Freeman sucks and Raheem sucks that doesn't automatically mean Schiano DOESN'T suck. So far his record as a head coach is terrible, and I'm getting kind of sick of people making excuses for Schiano and Sullivan. The organization as a whole is TERRIBLE right now and only the most homer of Bucs homer sees any different. Stop making excuses for the organizational woes, stop supporting an inferior product and force the Glazers to get some real NFL people in our front office. Oops, I guess they tried that and were turned down by some before we SETTLED for Schiano.