Is it conditioning?

Capt. Rino

Speaking of the Lightning of course as they seem to run out of gas towards the end of games.

I heard a few shocking stats in last nights win against the BlackHawks. The Lighting are 29th in the NFL in point differential in the 3rd period as they've been outscore by 28 goals in the 3rd period this season.

They're also next to last in the amount of short handed goals given up. We seem to really miss Ryan Malone like I had feared in an earlier thread. We have too many players just standing around in front of the net and not clearing opposing players out.

No.5 Mattias Ohlund is terrible IMHO, way too slow! Big Win of course last night as they needed that after losing the division lead to the Capitals as we have to keep pace with them as they're red hot right now.

We did blow an early 3-1 lead though. It was like day and night as in the first period and a half we seemed to be the far superior team with a lot more speed and quickness, but then the final period and a half Chicago looked to be far superior.

Go Lightning!

Yes, I missed the Capitals game, but that sounds like what happened last night. The first 2 periods were mostly played in Chicago's end as the Lightning were doubling the BlackHawks in shots on goal, then it was like the 3rd period was played solely in the Lightning end and they were playing on their heels per say as the Blackhawks were getting all the shots and the Lightning were fortunate to get it to OT and eventually won it in a shoot out where Stamkos, Vinny and Marty all scored with St. Louis scoring the final on a great move, he did a 360 right in front of the goalie which had him reeling! :)

Saw that and heard the same stats. Haven't seen many games this season but caught this one because it was on Versus. They looked dead in the 3rd. They couldn't get the puck out of their zone and when they did, they couldn't put together a pass and would turn it over in the neutral zone.

Vinny and Stamkos didn't score on the Shootout, but Stamkos made a sick 360 move that hit iron and then St. Louis followed it with a 360 that found pay dirt. It was an entertaining game, but they barely got out of that 3rd period alive. 29th in the league in the final frame aint gonna cut it.

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly appears to be that the players have hit a wall in Boucher's system. They have been outscored by over 25-30 goals in the 3rd period this year, and have lost 6 games in regulation or OT after leading at the end of 2 periods. Last night they blow a 2 goal lead against a last place team with 8 minutes left. Stamkos and St. Louis have been invisible. I am not holding out much hope that we will do anything come playoff time.

Archived