Kenneth Darby brought up...

It's not Pittman whom I'm worried about, nor should anyone worry about him. He'll come close to 1000 yards rushing.

The problem will be short-yardage situations. Graham didn't prove all that capable on Sunday and Askew hasn't been used as runner throughout his career. Not sure Darby can offer much assistance in this regard.

Askew was fine as a short-yardage guy at Michigan but the Jets didn't give him many shots at it and Gruden seems to regard him as an occasional pass receiver and lead blocker for the rest of the committee.

But I'm happy that Darby is "movin' on up!"

Although I was intrigued by Moore's statistics in Minny, I have to admit I like this move for the same reason as Jeff. Promoting from within sends a positive message about the organization to the players -- we no longer necessarily have to scramble for help among the outcasts elsewhere, or overpay for a quick fix. We now have the ability and confidence to replace a couple of starters with their backups, and replenish the depth chart with our own.

As I've said for awhile now, Allen doesn't always make the right call with personnel, but he doesn't immediately freak out and throw draft picks and cash around when there's a crisis, like his predecessor did. The Bucs can now bide their time and see how this plays out.

Roy Cummings offered some good insight on Duemig's show as I was driving home. He reiterated what some in here are saying, that Allen isn't going to spend cap money rashly just because it's available. Cummings thinks that notwithstanding Darby's call-up, the Bucs are still in the market for a runningback, but that they're going to bide their time until the Monday after the Tennessee game, which is the trade deadline. If someone dangles a back out there at a fair price, the Bucs may go for it. In the meantime, they have the next two games to evaluate what they already have.

Duemig floated Michael Turner's name out there as a possibility. Maybe, but I'd rather have Moore. Turner's shown some promise in limited action, but he's not much of a receiver, which I think ought to be a prerequisite for a runningback in a Gruden offense.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers today announced that they have signed RB Kenneth Darby and T Dennis Roland to the active roster from the practice squad and placed T Luke Petitgout and RB Carnell Williams on the Injured Reserve list. Additionally, the Buccaneers have signed T Ryan Gibbons, WR Chad Lucas and RB DonTrell Moore to the practice squad and released CB Marcus Hamilton from the practice squad.

Darby joined the Buccaneers as a seventh-round selection (246th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft. He spent the first four weeks of the season on the Buccaneers practice squad. Roland spent the entire 2006 season as a member of the Buccaneers practice squad after entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Dallas Cowboys in 2006. He also spent the first four weeks of the 2007 season on the Tampa Bay practice squad. Petitgout and Williams sustained season-ending knee injuries in the Week 4 victory at Carolina.

Gibbons joins the practice squad after being released from the Jacksonville Jaguars practice squad on September 20. Lucas rejoins the Buccaneers practice squad after being released from the active roster on September 29. Moore joins the Buccaneers practice squad after being released by the Tennessee Titans on September 1. Hamilton was a seventh-round selection (245th overall) by the Buccaneers in the 2007 NFL Draft and spent the first four weeks on the practice squad.

I know it was only preseason.

I thought Darby played well in those games.

Then I was listening Steve and Scott on 620 on the way home. They said he was an awesome running back for college but he can't make it as a pro.

WTF, how can you tell?

Unless I was drinking good shit from the beer that they sell at the game at RJS, I saw potential from Darby.

The same way a back like Pontiac Williams was great in college and below average in the pros. There is more to it than just running the ball when you get to this level. You can run like the wind but if you can't catch or more importantly pass protect, you're pretty much a situational back and not starter material in this league. Unless someone fucks up and burns a top five pick on you, that is. Then they run you until the fucking wheels come off.

OK. I got you there. The remaining question is still there.

Can you see Reggie Bush pass block or Carnell Williams pass block would be the reason?

Would that be the reason why to draft them? I know Bush can catch but Williams. I know there was frustration with Williams in the 2nd year catching the balls. Again, how can you tell whether they going to be solid player in the pro.

They may good in one area but why not take the chance like Darby.

It is still worth a gamble, IMO.

Darby, had problem picking up the blitz in pre-season, with the trade deadline looming in a little of a week and a half this could also be posturing by Allen to get Minny to lower there asking price on Moore, also lets the Bucs take a look at it for a week and see if they need to spend future draft picks for better depth.

I am all for bringing up Darby to fill the RB spot as I thought he had potential in the pre-season... it was either that or pluck some other promising back from another teams practice squad. If the o-line continues to play like they have recently I think we will do fine with Graham Pittman Darby and Askew

Agreed. Rep 2 U.