...seem PFT wants Gruden out of Tampa:

RUMORS FLY THAT REID IS ON HIS WAY OUT

After a tumultuous personal offseason involving legal troubles for two of his sons and a disappointing 1-3 start to the 2007 campaign, it should surprise no one that rumors are circulating that Eagles coach Andy Reid will step down after the season, if not sooner.

The fact that these events are unfolding in Philadelphia will only make the storm more intense. The unexpected qualification of the Phillies for the baseball playoffs could stave off the bulk of the scrutiny for as long as a month, but eventually the Phils will be done -- and the focus will shift back to the Eagles.

And the name to watch in this regard is Jon Gruden.

Gruden's star is back on the rise as he leads the Bucs out of last season's disaster to a 3-1 start. If he can find a way to beat the Colts on Sunday without tailback Cadillac Williams and left tackle Luke Petitgout, Gruden will shoot straight to the top of the "A" list. Though that might prompt some to conclude that the Glazers will decide that they don't want to let Gruden go if he can propel the Buccaneers back to the postseason, the talk in league and media circles is that ownership is ready to make a change, regardless of how this season plays out.

With that said, we wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa try to recover some of the draft picks and/or cash that was sent to Oakland when Gruden was hired in 2002.

KEEP AN EYE ON TENNESSEE, TOO

One of our friends in the media advises us that SEC guru Scott Moore said on Steve Czaban's FOX Sports Radio show this morning that, if Tennessee loses to Georgia this weekend, Phil Fulmer won't be back in 2008 as coach of the Volunteers.

If that happens, Moore said emphatically that the two primary candidates to replace him will be Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher.

Though Gruden is most often linked at the college level to Notre Dame, his wife was a Tennessee cheerleader. And with the money being paid to college coaches skyrocketing, it might not be much of a hit, if any, to the change purse for Gruden, if he leaves the NFL.

the talk in league and media circles is that ownership is ready to make a change, regardless of how this season plays out

First of all, I know what a "media circle" is, although they forgot the word "jerk" at the end of it. But what is a "league circle", and just how do you get a quote from one?

Second, that is a nonsensical argument to make. If the Glazers were intent on making a change, there would not have been a better moment than after last season -- continued regression by the offense, and an alarming steep drop in defensive efficiency. I don't think they stopped anyone on third down the entire season. If you were the owner of this team, why would you decide to let the team continue with a crappy coach that you know you want to get rid of the following season "regardless" of what happens.

GruAllen have continued to mold this team to fit their needs -- the players you need for a good WCO are different from those in other schemes. Keeping an underachieving head coach when you know he's a lame-duck is a stupid business move, and the Glazers are not stupid businessmen.

Of all the football tabloid sites, pft is the most contemptible.

A couple of other observations. The article claims the Bucs would be intent on recouping draft picks to let Gruden go, but the league clamped down on that since Gruden came here -- that kind of blockbuster compensation simply isn't available any more, and one would think that a site that promotes itself as a window into the NFL would know that.

Second, is it just me, or is the idea of Gruden as a college coach the dumbest thing since Spurrier as an NFL coach? Gruden's monstrous playbook is the stuff of legend. Garcia, a wily veteran who's been around, has said he still doesn't have a handle on most of it, and although he's gradually buying into the scheme, he wishes Gruden would dumb it down a little bit. But that flexibility, and all those options, is one of the things that sets Gruden apart from other coaches. For better or worse (and sometimes it's definitely worse), that's how Gruden approaches the game, and I can't imagine him trying to drum that into a rolling assembly-line of wide-eyed teenagers.

Gruden's notorious for having no patience for the learning curve of younger players, and the real successes he's had as an offensive guru have been with QBs old enough to have kids playing for him at Tennessee. I think Gruden and college football would not mix at all.

A couple of other observations. The article claims the Bucs would be intent on recouping draft picks to let Gruden go, but the league clamped down on that since Gruden came here -- that kind of blockbuster compensation simply isn't available any more, and one would think that a site that promotes itself as a window into the NFL would know that.

Second, is it just me, or is the idea of Gruden as a college coach the dumbest thing since Spurrier as an NFL coach? Gruden's monstrous playbook is the stuff of legend. Garcia, a wily veteran who's been around, has said he still doesn't have a handle on most of it, and although he's gradually buying into the scheme, he wishes Gruden would dumb it down a little bit. But that flexibility, and all those options, is one of the things that sets Gruden apart from other coaches. For better or worse (and sometimes it's definitely worse), that's how Gruden approaches the game, and I can't imagine him trying to drum that into a rolling assembly-line of wide-eyed teenagers.

Gruden's notorious for having no patience for the learning curve of younger players, and the real successes he's had as an offensive guru have been with QBs old enough to have kids playing for him at Tennessee. I think Gruden and college football would not mix at all.

I guess I never thought of it that way. I figured he would make one hell of a recruiter, his personnel wishy-washiness works out a lot better on the collegiate level, he'd be a hit with the Boosters and alumn, and I could see young players totally buying into his scowly, tough guy schtick.

Plus Notre Dame is one of his avowed dream jobs and I dunno if he could turn down a strong offer comparable to or topping the one he got from Weiss.

But your points about his impatience with young players and the thickness of his playbook are very good ones.

I would be shocked, completely shocked if Gruden left for Philly. And I truley believe Gruden is NOT cut out for the college game. He doesn't have the patience to deal with alumni, young players, etc. I don't see him leaving Tampa, his home by the way, when he feels he's now got this franchise heading in the direction he wants. Just doesn't make sense, but very little does in the NFL anymore.

I guess I never thought of it that way. I figured he would make one hell of a recruiter, his personnel wishy-washiness works out a lot better on the collegiate level, he'd be a hit with the Boosters and alumn, and I could see young players totally buying into his scowly, tough guy schtick.

You may be right there, although if I was a parent of a player I'm thinking the first time Gruden put on his face and dropped the f-bomb on my kid for running the wrong route on triple-z-out-fly-x-right-wingback-thrust, I'd have to go down on the sideline and slap the freckles off him. :winkwink

Plus Notre Dame is one of his avowed dream jobs and I dunno if he could turn down a strong offer comparable to or topping the one he got from Weiss.

I've heard this, but I've never actually seen him quoted about it. On that subject, when are the coaches going to wise up to the fact that the Notre Dame job isn't what it used to be? The honeymoon period there is shorter than a Britney Spears' marriage. To its credit, the school insists that recruits meet higher academic standards than other football powers, so there is an immediate disadvantage for anyone trying to build a consistent program there.

If he the chance to coach the Irish, I'm guessing that Gruden's ego and his desire to be part of that kind of old-school tradition might sway him to give it a shot. But I think it would be a mistake in the long run.

Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps Gruden's agent is floating these rumors in an attempt to get his client an extension now that it appears the team is on the upswing?

Yes, but that's not dramatic, and certain haters are mentally masturbating at the thought of the Guruden being gone so they are running with this one.

The most interesting part of the piece was this -

Though that might prompt some to conclude that the Glazers will decide that they don't want to let Gruden go if he can propel the Buccaneers back to the postseason, the talk in league and media circles is that ownership is ready to make a change, regardless of how this season plays out.

Remember, this is the same Ownership that fired a coach that took the team to the playoffs and the venom in the market for this coach doesn't help.

Perhaps Florio is attaching Gruden to all of these gigs because there's a prevailing feeling he will be available.

BTW, while I never believe everything I read, PFT has gone from rumor hack site to a valued source of NFL information and rumors. They routinely scoop ESPN and the other so-called experts while providing news and information from around the league (with links to stories).

It is my second stop after the Pewter Report website...

Can someone post a link or commet at to where Gruden want's the N.D. job?

No attack on you NYC. I've seen others post this here as well.

I've read his two books and each one points out he is not a fan of N.D. like he once was. He was very big on them because his dad had a job with them. He got to meet the players, watch practice and be around them as a kid. Because of this he rooted for them the family painted the basement green & gold etc. When they and how they canned his dad turned him off to them quite a bit according to what I've read.

You are spot on Pirate. What businessman would say, well he sucks and we want a new guy so let's stick with what we have. When they want change they make change.