Steve Yzerman is the new GM!

Y is the classiest choice for Lightning GM in ages and his on-ice successes are only part of his vast value to the Bolts.

Y has extensive contacts throughout all levels of hockey and his success in putting together the winning Canada 2010 team shows how good he is in assembling teams and coaching staffs.

How V convinced Y to come here is beyond me...but BRAVO!

• 1 month later...
Stevie getting high marks so far...

Yzerman's Early Moves

My thoughts exactly, GG!!! Everyone was bitching that Marty was going to leave town faster than a virgin orgy due to the Canadian Olympic snub from Yzerman. Seems like that's not the case since they just re-signed Marty to a contract that pretty much guarantees he'll be here the rest of his career. They also brought Pavel Kubina back on the D! AWESOME!

I love the moves I'm seeing and I can't wait to see it all work out on the ice. Marty is a huge part in Stamkos' maturation and a fan favorite. Now if we had a similar front office for the Bucs in the past 2 years, the landscape would look much, much different. But we didn't so at least we have two teams in Tampa that are worth a shit. :2cents

Nitti was very good, but also streaky, so there were some questions about his consistancy.

Tanguay we'll never miss as we barely noticed when he was here. (and usually that was to ask wtf is wrong with Tanguay? and wtf is his production?)

Foster we'll miss him routinely breaking the glass with his shots, but we wouldn't give him the minutes he's after.

Torts was right about the previous owners being dipshits and cowboys, I'm far more inclined to give Stevie Y and Co a considerable amount of latitude.

I'm not fond of dumping Nitty, but picking up Ellis is an upgrade.

My biggest disappointment is in not keeping the Z Man....but I can understand that too.

Plus Nitty was a UFA and Smith is still under contract for another year. Nitty had played himself into starting goalie $$$, the Bolts weren't going to throw a ton of money at him in 2010-11 when they have a nice stable of goalies ready to compete in 11-12 when Smith is gone. SY has a good plan, signing Clark and Kubina in front of the goalies, who are shot blocking machines. After 2 years of crazy owners and a questionable GM, Vinik and SY are a breath of fresh air. I am more than willing to give them the 10-11 season to get this franchise back on track and compete in 11-12 for the SE division and beyond.

• 2 weeks later...
The Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired two-time 40-goal scorer Simon Gagne (gah-N’YAY, see-MOHN) from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for defenseman Matt Walker and a fourth-round draft pick in 2011 today, Vice President and General Manager Steve Yzerman announced.

Gagne for Walker and a 4th

I'm getting a really good vibe from the changes in the front office. I'm excited to see what this team can do moving forward. Gagne is only under contract for 1 season, so this isn't a long-term commitment. This should make the offense much more potent with two dynamic lines in play. Now if we could just stop pucks from getting into our net....

Nitti was very good, but also streaky, so there were some questions about his consistancy.

Tanguay we'll never miss as we barely noticed when he was here. (and usually that was to ask wtf is wrong with Tanguay? and wtf is his production?)

Foster we'll miss him routinely breaking the glass with his shots, but we wouldn't give him the minutes he's after.

Torts was right about the previous owners being dipshits and cowboys, I'm far more inclined to give Stevie Y and Co a considerable amount of latitude.

I'm not fond of dumping Nitty, but picking up Ellis is an upgrade.

My biggest disappointment is in not keeping the Z Man....but I can understand that too.

if nittymakki was streaky than what is smith? he is far better then smith, and who is ellis? never heard of him but I hope he is good, but I would have traded smith and ran with ellis and nittymakki with a 50/50 goalie rotation, I'm not worried about losing tanguay or foster, those are acceptable, who is the Z man?
Plus Nitty was a UFA and Smith is still under contract for another year. Nitty had played himself into starting goalie $$$, the Bolts weren't going to throw a ton of money at him in 2010-11 when they have a nice stable of goalies ready to compete in 11-12 when Smith is gone. SY has a good plan, signing Clark and Kubina in front of the goalies, who are shot blocking machines. After 2 years of crazy owners and a questionable GM, Vinik and SY are a breath of fresh air. I am more than willing to give them the 10-11 season to get this franchise back on track and compete in 11-12 for the SE division and beyond.

smith being under contract for another year is irrelevant, if your not getting the job done I could care less if your under contract, they have trades for a reason, also why couldn't the lightning give him starting goalie money? even if they had to trade smith. and who are these goalies your talking about?

Gagne for Walker and a 4th

I'm getting a really good vibe from the changes in the front office. I'm excited to see what this team can do moving forward. Gagne is only under contract for 1 season, so this isn't a long-term commitment. This should make the offense much more potent with two dynamic lines in play. Now if we could just stop pucks from getting into our net....

great move I have heard he is a hell of a player

P.S. sorry for taking so long to reply(forgot about the thread) and sorry for seeming like a giant grouch

if nittymakki was streaky than what is smith? he is far better then smith, and who is ellis?

He played better than Smith last year, but he isn't "far" better overall. Smith has got skillz....it just doesn't look like he's come back from having his brains bashed in.

Bucforce IMO is spot on with his goalie comments.

Ellis > Nitti, but not by that much.

Z Man = Zenon Konopka...they called him Zorro in the film clip they made of him that they used to play on the jumbotron.

He's the best enforcer this team has had in recent memory. Slightly better hockey player than Andre Roy and MUCH better fighter than Chris Dingman or Roy.

smith being under contract for another year is irrelevant, if your not getting the job done I could care less if your under contract, they have trades for a reason, also why couldn't the lightning give him starting goalie money? even if they had to trade smith. and who are these goalies your talking about?

You would be paying top $$$ to 2 starting goalies, and have no money left to extend St. Louis contract for one thing. Nittymaki replaced Nabakov in San Jose and got a 4 or 5 year contract, no way was he going to get that here. Goalie prospects include Tokarski, Janus, Kosechkin, Helenius, maybe even Kari Ramo. Tokarski is the top one of the bunch.

Mike Smith would be so much better once he realizes his job is between the pipes and not trying to come out to pass up the ice and get assists. I also agree that I don't think he's fully recovered from the dain bramage he received. He's a great goal tender between the pipes, he just needs to keep his ass there.

He played better than Smith last year, but he isn't "far" better overall. Smith has got skillz....it just doesn't look like he's come back from having his brains bashed in.

Bucforce IMO is spot on with his goalie comments.

Ellis > Nitti, but not by that much.

Z Man = Zenon Konopka...they called him Zorro in the film clip they made of him that they used to play on the jumbotron.

He's the best enforcer this team has had in recent memory. Slightly better hockey player than Andre Roy and MUCH better fighter than Chris Dingman or Roy.

ah crap, I didn't know they let konopka leave, damn that pissed me off he was awesome
You would be paying top $$$ to 2 starting goalies, and have no money left to extend St. Louis contract for one thing. Nittymaki replaced Nabakov in San Jose and got a 4 or 5 year contract, no way was he going to get that here. Goalie prospects include Tokarski, Janus, Kosechkin, Helenius, maybe even Kari Ramo. Tokarski is the top one of the bunch.

sorry bucforce, I disagree they should have gave nittymakki the starting goalie money instead of ellis, maybe after i see ellis play some I will feel different but I doubt it

Career numbers:

Niitymaki 83-79 2.98 GAA, .903 save %

Ellis 50-42 2.64 GAA, .912 SP%

Smith 54-60 2.69 GAA, .907 SP%

Smith and Ellis have better GAA and save %, and Smith is still here only because of what Feaster gave up for him and his contract. I wish Nitty well, but he parlayed a half season of good play with us into a big money contract. Good for him and his agent, but I wouldn't have invested another 4-5 years in him :2cents

Career numbers:

Niitymaki 83-79 2.98 GAA, .903 save %

Ellis 50-42 2.64 GAA, .912 SP%

Smith 54-60 2.69 GAA, .907 SP%

Smith and Ellis have better GAA and save %, and Smith is still here only because of what Feaster gave up for him and his contract. I wish Nitty well, but he parlayed a half season of good play with us into a big money contract. Good for him and his agent, but I wouldn't have invested another 4-5 years in him :2cents

thats not just last years stats though, nitty was better then smith last year, and what do you mean half a season? he was good damn near the whole year

edit: and look smith has a under .500 record, maybe he's not a good guy in the locker room, who knows

Archived