Is it time to start calling out Lecavalier?

BucForce

He said he's 100% or close to it at the beginning of the season. If that is so, then it is time to scrutinize Vinny's play so far this year. I don't want to bring money into the equation, but when one guy is taking up 25% of your teams budgeted salary cap, then he deserves to be criticized if he is not performing. Every other athlete in every sport who is making top dollar on their team and performing like crap gets criticized, yet Vinny always seems to get a pass. If you want to be recognized as one of the top players in the league, you not only need to perform yourself, you need to make the players around you better as well. Tanguay and he are still developing chemistry, but if I see another behind the back pass to no one from #4, I will scream watching the TV. :facepalm He needs to put this team on his back, and soon, or it will be another long winter and early spring for this team.

Vinny was at his best when Tortorella was around, constantly pushing him to be better. I don't think Tocchet feels like he has the authority to do that for whatever reason. But like a lot of guys on the team he is playing very soft and tentative right now. The complete lack of chemistry he and Alex Tanguay have right now is really frustrating.

Vinny is not a born leader. He has just been the most talented guy on his teams over the years, so has gotten the C. But he doesn't have the personality to get in other guys' faces. Plus he can't do that now even if he had that temperment, because he is underperforming himself. Tocchet needs to call him out, not publicly, but in a closed door meeting. If he has no authority, then he's already lost the room and would need to be replaced. Right now Vinny has no problems taking the money but doesn't want the rest of the package that goes with it. If he is still hurt, then I hope he says so, then my criticism will be wrong.

I think it goes to show that playing with Marty is a real privilege for anyone fortunate enough to do so. Vinny is being the ultimate leader my sacrificing his production so that that Stamkos can play alongside Marty. If you guys don't see that, then I've got a bridge you might be interested in purchasing. Sure, throw a guy under the bus, that never bitches that he has to play with a wash-up like Tanguay. Did you guys really think that Alex Tanguay was going to give this team anything, but a debit in the bank account?

Sacrificed his production? The only reason Marty was moved to the #2 line was to try and get two scoring lines instead of one. Marty improves the second line, Vinny doesn't hold up his end of the bargain on the first. Last year he had one of his faves, Vinny Prospal, and Prospal has one of his worst years. This year, another guy in a contract year on his line, and now neither one of them can score. Why doesn't Vinny get any of the blame? The highest paid guy on your team should make the other guys around him better, not vice versa. Mario Lemieux used to get his wingers 40 goals when they couldn't get 10 with a different center, but Vinny needs better players around him so he can score 40? Screwed up logic in my book...

• 2 weeks later...

Vinny moved to the 3rd line...

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/content/vinny-lecavalier-moved-line-miller-veilleux-tocchet-says-he%E2%80%99s-gotta-get-his-game-sharp

Not only is he not scoring, he's not doing the little things like finishing checks, defensive zone responsibilities etc. Good to see this coaching staff not letting him get away with this crap. Great example to the young players on this team V4, from their Captain no less :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 goals in 30 games, He is doing a GOOD job of calling his self out.

9 Goals for 10 Mill :facepalm That is Damn fine work, if you can get it:thumbsup

9 Goals??? He only has 6 thru 30 games, plus 19 assists. At this rate, he won't even get 20. Now, with Stamkos and Malone hurt, either he steps up or the team steps down to its customary last place position in the standings...

Archived