Melrose, your ass is FIRED

word2that

Okay I'll start. The guy was a joke to begin with but this new ownership group is horrible. They're doing their best Dan Snyder impression and getting similar results. I don't expect things to get fixed this season but I expect them to stop getting all these over the hill forwards and start investing in young and/or solid defensemen.

I was never thrilled about the hiring of Melrose but as a Bolt fan I dealt with it. He sounded like he demanded a lot from his players and I thought it might work out. But as you saw from my previous posts here, I started to question his coaching ability. I'm glad he got the boot and his interview on ESPN sounded so damn smug. He's nothing more than an arrogant prick and he wasn't brought here to "change the hockey environment in Tampa" as he openly claims.

But on a side note, now we have a convicted felon that ran a sports gambling ring as our interim coach. B)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2882460

This team is quickly turning into a SAW movie because at this point I want to rip my own eyes out and would rather saw my own arm off than watch a game. A horror story is a true understatement. :disgust

I was thinking Tocchet was involved in that gambling ring. Nice choice for an assistant coach to begin with... :wtf

Major surprise. Not unexpected, but I thought it's take at least until January.

I was railed by some folks at the Lightning board in the summer for saying that I thought this season was shaping up as a train wreck. :rotflmao

Being he works at Channelside Drive, Tocchet's only about 5 miles away from the Hard Rock. Too bad it's not a sports book, he'd be in 7th heaven. Watch the lines now, he might have a little side action on the game...

Torts had it right. OK Hockey must stand for OKLAHOMA, the land of the COWBOYS, because these guys have no freaking clue! Fantasy Hockey live and in living color in Tampa Bay!!

Imagine that film directors and tv personalities don't know how to put together a winning team. I'm sure they tuned out Melrose after about the third day so lets see someone that doesn't just yell and can actually put the limited weapons we have in a position to win. Torts I know you are laughing your ass off somewhere, but we miss you, come back home.

Trading St. Louis would be the end of the season which might not be so bad. Maybe we can just forfeit the rest of the season and come back next year with the first pick. It would save a lot of money.

Just doesn't want to take the responsibility that he sucks as a coach.

I don't want to stray into politics, but I just can't help seeing the paralell between him and Sarah Palin: Melrose contended that his analyst experience would translate to being a good coach, Palin seemed to think that the fact her state bordered a couple other countries gave her foreign policy experience. :2cents

30-40 goals expected from Vrbatra??? I heard 25 or so.

I don't think Melrose was quite the dickhead in that interview, just not wanting to face the fact that he sucks. And I'm not sold that the players "revolted". They might have offered their opinions that this guy was an idiot, but Lawtons comments and some of the things I heard players say seemed to indicate this came from management.

I don't think Melrose was quite the dickhead in that interview, just not wanting to face the fact that he sucks.
I have to respectfully disagree with the first half of this statement. The second half I totally agree with. I think Melrose was an absolute dickhead in that interview, he just wasn't straight up and open with it. He made a lot of tongue-in-cheek statements that were nothing more than jabs at the players and the organization. If you go back and watch again you'll clearly see where he's calling out players, management and the owners.

You can be polite and still trash an organization and Melrose just showed a great example on how to do just that. The guy has been paid a lot of money to talk for the past 15 years on ESPN so he has a way with words. Rather than coming out all huff and puff about his shit-canning, he chose more eloquent words to pretty much say the players aren't accountable and the management/ownership has no freak'n idea what they're doing.

Melrose had no idea what the hell he was doing as a head coach in the new 2008 NHL. Things have changed and he couldn't coach these guys and he lacked the technical knowledge to lead them. You can't lead men into battle if they don't respect you. They simply won't fight for you and that was more than obvious in just the first 16 games. I have never seen the Lightning play so flat and without heart. Even from the Thunder Dome days they played with heart.

Archived