Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Godzilla

I'm getting a boat. Need help!

Yea, drifting a big pole is good just about anywhere on the gulf. You're definitely one of us, lol...

I have had a couple of occasions that a big shark or tarpon has grabbed the bait and ran out the line before we could get the boat started and turned, gets your adrenalin pumped when the fish is pulling a 16' boat backwards, lol.

I hate to lose my 100lb braided line, I don't keep spare on the small boat, so we lock it down when the spool gets too low and hope for the best...

Now if I can just remember to pick some balloons up next time I am at the store, lol...

Gabe,

What is gas consumption like on the 16'er? I would like to get a boat, but am fearful of not being able to afford gas to use it. I see yours uses 2-6 gallon tanks, so figure $40 or so for gas, for a day on the water.......not too bad. What type/size of motor do you have?

I live in Baycrest Park,on the north end of Tampa Bay and would love to go exploring the bay by boat. Figured a boat of that size would be best.

Love reading your imformative posts. Keep 'em coming! Thanks

Haha, that sounds like it came from someone who used their boat for a yard ornament, lol...

True story: I saw a small boat, probably 10' filled with soil, flowers and such. I actually liked it, definitely a graceful way to put a small boat to pasture, lol...

I can remember so many great days on my boat either alone or with family and friends that I couldn't be without one, as I get older and can afford more it just gets better. A great day to sell a boat is a day before picking up the new one, lol...

Gabe,

What is gas consumption like on the 16'er? I would like to get a boat, but am fearful of not being able to afford gas to use it. I see yours uses 2-6 gallon tanks, so figure $40 or so for gas, for a day on the water.......not too bad. What type/size of motor do you have?

I live in Baycrest Park,on the north end of Tampa Bay and would love to go exploring the bay by boat. Figured a boat of that size would be best.

Love reading your imformative posts. Keep 'em coming! Thanks

I average an all day of fishing off one of my tanks, I usually make quite a few stops, here and there. The 16' has a 40hp force with tilt, trim and hydrofoils, does around 28 knots all out on plane. I will usually run from Pithlachascotee River to up around the power plant out of anclote but I have a few haunts that I hit if I haven't been out for a while to see if they are producing... I never really checked the mileage, I would say to run one tank, I would run between 35-40miles but don't quote me, lol...

The reason I have two tanks is just because I don't want to be out there lacking. A second tank on a small boat to me basically means that no matter how far I go on the first tank, that second one will get me in, lol... I go all over the place when I go out but when I run out the first tank I usually make a straight line for home.

The boat usually carries Myself and a buddy or two, a cooler full of ice, soda and bottled water, rods and reels for each person + big rod + a backup or two, I have a tackle box that holds the necessities, two plastic cases of plastic baits that I don't leave home without. Four seats, driver seat with under storage, passengers seat with under storage, front raised fishing seat on a raised deck, rear raised fishing seat and a Minnkota trolling motor bolted to the front...

Hopefully this helps with the question...

:winkwink 2 boxes of artifical baits? A real fisherman only needs a few hooks and his poles, catch the bait on the way out......:uhoh nothing to use to get started, use a poptop off a can....(done it off shore)

Sounds like a great inshore boat. I enjoy the inshore but really like off shore fishing myself. Usually, should they not be biting, we swing on the tanks and go shoot em....:groucho

I average an all day of fishing off one of my tanks, I usually make quite a few stops, here and there. The 16' has a 40hp force with tilt, trim and hydrofoils, does around 28 knots all out on plane. I will usually run from Pithlachascotee River to up around the power plant out of anclote but I have a few haunts that I hit if I haven't been out for a while to see if they are producing... I never really checked the mileage, I would say to run one tank, I would run between 35-40miles but don't quote me, lol...

The reason I have two tanks is just because I don't want to be out there lacking. A second tank on a small boat to me basically means that no matter how far I go on the first tank, that second one will get me in, lol... I go all over the place when I go out but when I run out the first tank I usually make a straight line for home.

The boat usually carries Myself and a buddy or two, a cooler full of ice, soda and bottled water, rods and reels for each person + big rod + a backup or two, I have a tackle box that holds the necessities, two plastic cases of plastic baits that I don't leave home without. Four seats, driver seat with under storage, passengers seat with under storage, front raised fishing seat on a raised deck, rear raised fishing seat and a Minnkota trolling motor bolted to the front...

Hopefully this helps with the question...

What, no beer?:winkwink

:winkwink 2 boxes of artifical baits? A real fisherman only needs a few hooks and his poles, catch the bait on the way out......:uhoh nothing to use to get started, use a poptop off a can....(done it off shore)

Sounds like a great inshore boat. I enjoy the inshore but really like off shore fishing myself. Usually, should they not be biting, we swing on the tanks and go shoot em....:groucho

Shoot, I used to run out on a boogie board, jump over when I saw a fish and catch it in my teeth, lol...

Lol, poptop off a can = lure.... Anyone can catch fish with live bait, lol...

True story: When I was around 15-16, a friend and I were out in my fathers small Jon boat, I ran out of bait and cut a small piece of foam from an old seat cushion and started catching pin fish to use as bait, proof they will bite just about anything... Now days I just carry sabiki rigs, catch them a few at one time, lol...

On my big boat, I carry the cast net and have two live wells. The little boat only has so much space, so it depends on what we set out to do and how many people go. I have a stand in live well tank for the little boat and take my cast net if there is only two of us. I am a little different than the norm about bait, I don't usually go for whites, I like to use chubs...

This is my theory from what I know, whites tend to try to go up top water when hooked or frightened, whereas chubs try to bury in the grass at the bottom.

If I am going to anchor then I may use white bait, a few feet away from your sinker and you're catching fish. I like to do a chicken rig with white bait, less snags...

If I am going to drift then chubs tend to be better. A few feet below a bobber and you will get a multitude of different species biting. I have had better luck with good game fish using chubs in shallow waters.

I love going off shore, just doesn't happen as much at $300 to fill the big boat and $36 to fill the small one... The small one sees more drive time, even more so since the gas prices went up, lol.

Great movie... If you haven't seen it and like fishing, I suggest getting a copy. It shines on the heart and soul of fishing, the show is timeless...

The Old Man and the Sea

Myself and my buddies go diving too, 48" speargun - three bands... I have yet to go out and actually use it, mostly have done recreational dives. My buddies need to catch up and get their own spearguns, lol...

Heard a story where a couple of divers pulled up to a reef and asked the one boat there if they would mind if they dove the spot. The people on the boat replied that it was no problem, they haven't caught anything since they pulled up a few hours beforehand. When the divers got in the water they saw grouper all over the place, they took a couple and brought one up for the other boat.

Don't know how true it was but I can believe it, lol...

Wow. Last response on this thread was almost a year ago and I just read it. Gabe and Seafarer--you'd be two fun dudes to have a beer with. I'm like Godzilla---never owned a boat and don't even fish, but have always SAID I want to get into it as I get older. Will be 45 next year. I'm thinking an 18-footer of some type and an internet bride at that birthday and I'll be all set for life ;)

This is a great thread. I feel as though I'm a certified boater/fisherman after reading this. I enjoyed fishing the bay and gulf, but was never much of a boater or fisherman. I now occaisionally go to Wisconsin and fish, mostly bottle bass. It's just a good relaxing time.

Thanks for all that info guys.

West side of Anclote Island, shark city as well as all around the north sandbar. Cotee river...south side of Durney Key for snook/trout with tides. Inside the houses, south of river, flounder. Reds all around the oyster bars.

I'll give you more info, if you need, in a PM.

SOUNDS, like a great deal but have a mechanic take a look at the power (engines) Does it have twins or a single motor.

Proline makes an excellent shell (boat itself) and will give you many good times. But, once again, check the stern of the boat for dryrot. If they sit for a long time the trasom can become weak and is a major repair.

I don't have many numbers for the St Pete area but close. We can go there after you get the boat checked.

Agreed, have a mechanic go over the engines and drive units. Can be very costly to fix, and replacement may be more than the boat is worth. Check over the fuel system, too - pulling the tanks and cleaning them is pricey.

Check any boating supply store (like West Marine) for fishing guidebooks w/GPS coordinates. Even if you're not going offshore, you should have a chart of the area you're boating in, and a compass - the GPS will inevidably fail when you need it.

Take a course from a group like US Power Squadron...