Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Behn

Official bullpen blew the game thread; redux

I am afraid that this will be the never ending story again for the Rays. first off they need a catcher who knows how to handle the pitchers and call games. Joe Maddon has no fire. There sure seems like there are alot of people who thing the RAYS have done alot in the off season to be good. I am not one of those. They will struggle at best to reach 76 wins and beat out Baltimore for last in the east

This highlights on of the biggest keys to success for the Rays this season-how Reyes handles the transition to pitching in a non-closer role. I'm not ready to compare this bullpen to last year's though by any means. Last year at the beginning of the season the Rays were considering Brian Stokes as a possible closer. Yikes.

I'll agree that Reyes pretty much blew it. I do have to give Joe a little credit also. Why didn't he leave wheeler out there for the 8th? Why didn't he have his lefty (Miller) warming up for situational use. I think Dohmann was throwing, then stopped.

This pen looks to be more solid than last year, but we shall see. They can't be any worse. Reyes hasn't looked good since the second have of last year, nor in ST. Joe needs to make the best use of him. His "book" of Wheeler, Reyes, Percival, may not be the best call. Play it by ear Joe. You learned something last year. Apply it this year. :thumbsup

April 2, 2008:

Mr Reliable from 2007, Al Reyes, allowed four runs in the Eighth inning to blow a one run lead. Aubrey Huff was the hero for the Orioles, with four rbi's, including a two rbi double in the eighth to give the Orioles the lead.

April 2nd, Reyes blows lead

If you paid attention to the end of last season you may have noticed Reye's starting blowing a lot of games down the stretch. He was solid for most of the season until the end. I hope this is not a trend which is continuing.

Also why do they continue to pitch to Huff? I would just intentionally walk him every time as how many times does he have to kill the Ray's?

Boy, the Yank-mees got their asses handed to them.

Scares me a little. There was a 4 gamer in the Bronx last season that the Rays started off with a 14-4 win, and the next 3 games were not pretty.

But my takes on last night -

If Cliff Floyd stays healthy he's a really good pick up;

Carlos Pena is no flash in the pan - that homer was a MONSTER;

These Rays will score a decent amount of runs this year;

got to hope Reyes fades from the bully plans - he seems washed up - but the rest of the pen is markedly better than last year (but we haven't seen Percival yet...);

the Yankee middle releif looks woeful;

Ian Kennedy might have potential, but he looked every bit the rookie last night;

LaTroy Hawkins = Al Reyes...washed up. He does make nice meatballs, however;

Andy Sonnanstine showed a lot of guts getting three 1-2-3 innings after giving up 4 runs in the 3rd.

We should be undefeated. That bullpen loss in Baltimore was one game and I am so glad to see how the bully has responded in NY. Miller was a little shaky today, but got some big Ks then Reyes shut the door in the 8th. Percival looked like his old self in the 9th, mowing down the Skanks. They are really impressing me, playing like a complete team. The Yanks looks disorganized, Georgie and the Hankster should have spent some of that $200 million on starting pitching and middle relief. I honestly think that if they get a few significant injuries, like Arod and Jeter, for a long period, we and Toronto could both challenge for second place in the division. We have a young, hungry, hustling team that believes in itself, and self confidence can trump talent on the opposition side a lot of nights.

We should be undefeated. That bullpen loss in Baltimore was one game and I am so glad to see how the bully has responded in NY. Miller was a little shaky today, but got some big Ks then Reyes shut the door in the 8th. Percival looked like his old self in the 9th, mowing down the Skanks. They are really impressing me, playing like a complete team. The Yanks looks disorganized, Georgie and the Hankster should have spent some of that $200 million on starting pitching and middle relief. I honestly think that if they get a few significant injuries, like Arod and Jeter, for a long period, we and Toronto could both challenge for second place in the division. We have a young, hungry, hustling team that believes in itself, and self confidence can trump talent on the opposition side a lot of nights.

Well, all that sounds great, but lets remember, this is a 162 game season. 3-1 looks good and feels good now, but this team has gotten itself off to hot starts before, only to falter into the bottom of the division by May. Also, our problems as a team have come less against the Red Sox and Yankees then against the Blue Jays and Orioles. We always play the Red Sox and Yankees real tough only to get slaughtered in the division by the Blue Jays and the Orioles. Look to how we play those two teams to determine how well we will be down the stretch. And btw, solid performance today from Edwin Jackson. If a team can get a strong six or seven innings out of the fifth starter, then that pitching staff is in pretty good shape.

And in further softening of the Yankees' reputation, skipper Joe Girardi missed his second straight game with an upper respiratory infection:

LINK

Aw, poor baby. I've been hacking my lungs out for a week and a half now, and I haven't missed work!

He should keep these past two days in mind when he wants one of his ailing players to suit up and tough it out. Or maybe he can just borrow a pair of those pink bloomers that he fitted his catchers with in spring training:

PinkBloomers.jpg

Sorry about your lungs, Joe. I hope your ****** isn't hurting, too! :winkwink

Well, it's hard for me to really blame the bullpen more than our offense last night, but the bullpen did blow the lead. Garza left the game with a 5-4 rays lead, glover came in and allowed two runs in the 6th, and the mariners ended up winning 6-5. So cound this as blown game number 2 by the bullpen, and we're now below .500 for the first time this season.

Richie Sexson drove in three runs, drawing a bases-loaded walk in the third and hitting a two-run single off Gary Glover (0-1) in the sixth. In both situations, the Rays walked Raul Ibanez intentionally to load the bases so they could pitch to Sexson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280408130

This must have been pretty embarrasing for Niemann...I mean, c'mon Ryu?...

"To replace the roster spot, the Rays recalled outfielder Justin Ruggiano from Triple-A Durham in Floyd's absence. Ruggiano, along with Durham teammate Jae Kuk Ryu, arrived Wednesday afternoon after a frenzied night of travel. Ruggiano and Ryu were at Buffalo Wild Wings in Columbus eating dinner with teammates Jeff Niemann and Mitch Talbot when their respective cell phones went off.

I asked them, 'Can I smile?' Ryu said of the awkward moment experienced when half of the table was ecstatic. 'The guys were talking about Garza being hurt, so we all assumed Niemann would get the call.'"