Brees will be out for a while. Will it be Jameis Winston or Hill?

[[Template forums/front/topics/activity is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An interesting ride for the Saints.... they play 5 teams that currently have 3 wins, 1 team with 4, and then the Chiefs are the only team with a winning record.  So with the talent and coaches around him, there's a good chance Winston will be able to go 4-2 if he closes out the season.  Then maybe Brees takes over?  Or maybe Winston gets them through week to week 15, and the have Brees there as an backup in those later games if Winston starts losing.  Then toss a rested Brees in for the playoffs.

I really hope it’s Jameis.  I’ve been extremely happy with Brady at QB, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think the Bucs should have stuck with Winston after his 5000 yard season.  I’ll be glad to be wrong and dispense with the what-ifs that are floating around in the back of my mind... so seeing if he plays well or if it’s more of the same on a winning organization with a respected head coach is particularly interesting to me.  

If he shits the bed, not only would I feel better about him being gone, but it could help Tampa win the division.  I suppose the the side of that coin is that he plays well, helps New Orleans win the division and goes on to be another QB that the Bucs let get away without fully developing...

9 hours ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

I really hope it’s Jameis.  I’ve been extremely happy with Brady at QB, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think the Bucs should have stuck with Winston after his 5000 yard season.  I’ll be glad to be wrong and dispense with the what-ifs that are floating around in the back of my mind... so seeing if he plays well or if it’s more of the same on a winning organization with a respected head coach is particularly interesting to me.  

If he shits the bed, not only would I feel better about him being gone, but it could help Tampa win the division.  I suppose the the side of that coin is that he plays well, helps New Orleans win the division and goes on to be another QB that the Bucs let get away without fully developing...

Awesome post. You and GSS knocking them down. 

The Bucs invested 5 years developing him, and frankly he had good coaches, so I don't see this as a case of the Bucs not investing enough time developing him.  Maybe maturity will kick in (especially after not getting the fat contract and taking a cheap 1 year deal), or maybe something starts to click now that he has had lasik, but that really isn't on the Bucs.  Frankly, he made the call when he demanded pretty high franchise QB money after 5 lackluster seasons.  He had 30 interceptions last year, and looking at the highlights of those, he probably singlehandedly lost 5-6 games, and then he was -9 when it came to fumbles.  So after asking for 25 million, not only did every team in the league pass on offering him starter money, but they also passed on offering him good backup money.

Now he could very well make huge strides with a new team, but that's not a reason to keep a player.  Also, the QBs and players that really burned us tended to be guys we surrounded with crap, didn't give much of a chance to, or simply were dumped b/c of cheap owners.  Winston had great receivers to throw to, and they invested 5 years on him.  It seems to me that in recent years, we really haven't been burned unexpectedly in recent years with players we cut.  Sure, we unloaded a few head cases that we knew had tons of talent, but they needed to go to a team that could handle their crap.

Frankly had we kept Winston, I think we'd have another year without a winning season, and both the coaching staff and he would likely have been jettisoned afterwards.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/4/8/21212208/jameis-winston-interceptions-fumbles-turnovers-new-team

38 minutes ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

The Bucs invested 5 years developing him, and frankly he had good coaches, so I don't see this as a case of the Bucs not investing enough time developing him.  Maybe maturity will kick in (especially after not getting the fat contract and taking a cheap 1 year deal), or maybe something starts to click now that he has had lasik, but that really isn't on the Bucs.  Frankly, he made the call when he demanded pretty high franchise QB money after 5 lackluster seasons.  He had 30 interceptions last year, and looking at the highlights of those, he probably singlehandedly lost 5-6 games, and then he was -9 when it came to fumbles.  So after asking for 25 million, not only did every team in the league pass on offering him starter money, but they also passed on offering him good backup money.

Now he could very well make huge strides with a new team, but that's not a reason to keep a player.  Also, the QBs and players that really burned us tended to be guys we surrounded with crap, didn't give much of a chance to, or simply were dumped b/c of cheap owners.  Winston had great receivers to throw to, and they invested 5 years on him.  It seems to me that in recent years, we really haven't been burned unexpectedly in recent years with players we cut.  Sure, we unloaded a few head cases that we knew had tons of talent, but they needed to go to a team that could handle their crap.

Frankly had we kept Winston, I think we'd have another year without a winning season, and both the coaching staff and he would likely have been jettisoned afterwards.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/4/8/21212208/jameis-winston-interceptions-fumbles-turnovers-new-team

None of JPP, Suh, or Shaq would still be on the team.  Gronkowski wouldn’t be here. Fournette wouldn’t be a Buc.  This would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions with yet another fraud I got tricked by. FUCKEM. HATEM. 

16 hours ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

I reviewed every game Winston played at NFL.com. It was like watching  a young Dan Marino and Ryan Leaf in the same game. He made incredible throws that virtually no QB could make. He made bad throws that no one should make. He was like Brett Favre but even Favre had his limits on what risks he would take. If he just sucked, he would have been an easy decision. His decision making skills got worse as he got more experience. Yet the spectacular plays increased as well. The last 4 games as a Buc summarized his career. GOAT Greatest of all Time vs Goat as one of the most bone headed QBs that ever played in the NFL.

16 hours ago, rook said:

I reviewed every game Winston played at NFL.com. It was like watching  a young Dan Marino and Ryan Leaf in the same game. He made incredible throws that virtually no QB could make. He made bad throws that no one should make. He was like Brett Favre but even Favre had his limits on what risks he would take. If he just sucked, he would have been an easy decision. His decision making skills got worse as he got more experience. Yet the spectacular plays increased as well. The last 4 games as a Buc summarized his career. GOAT Greatest of all Time vs Goat as one of the most bone headed QBs that ever played in the NFL.

This in droves.  But with passing I don't think he's at the level of Marino or Favre on a good day when he is on.  He isn't THAT accurate.  I don't see it looking at his highlights from 2019.  He's hitting a WR in stride, but Farve would throw deep to guys in almost perfect double coverage and hit that one tiny spot where only his WR could catch it.  Seems to me that Winston does a great job of running an offense.  Without the high ints and fumbles, he's a franchise QB, but until then he's a coach firing machine.

Again rook, fantastic post.  Mae West couldn't have said it better.

On Hill - if he can't throw the ball with success all of his gadget shit will be shut down. It may not happen in the first game or two but it will happen.

On Winston - I think clearly something happened in between the end of the last game and the announcement yesterday. The Saints may have decided that they had to see if Hill could play the position full time at the money he's provided or Winston in practice may have shown little enough to scare off Payton. Could be some level of combination of the two as well.

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

On Hill - if he can't throw the ball with success all of his gadget shit will be shut down. It may not happen in the first game or two but it will happen.

On Winston - I think clearly something happened in between the end of the last game and the announcement yesterday. The Saints may have decided that they had to see if Hill could play the position full time at the money he's provided or Winston in practice may have shown little enough to scare off Payton. Could be some level of combination of the two as well.

Don't know what they're thinking with Hill but he knows the offense. They might not want to limit it with Winston for this game.

But it'd be damn satisfying to know if the boob in Jaboob shined brightly when there were enough reps in practice to see that warning light on.

• rook changed the title to Brees will be out for a while. Will it be Jameis Winston or Hill?