Rodgers' 1st Quarter TD Reversal

Obviously I am missing something. Hoping one of you clowns can clarify this for me. When Rodgers ran into the end zone the touchdown was reversed. This isn't college football, he wasn't touched. In the pros can't they just get up and keep on running? So even if his knee was down before the ball crossed the plane,  he wasn't hit until after the ball was across the line. Why did they reverse this?

When you go down, it is declared that you have given yourself up. You do not get crawl on the ground to get any more yards even if you have not been touched. The reason? It is too difficult for the defender to determine whether he can hit you or that you have given yourself up. The NFL made going down to the ground as down by rule.

25 minutes ago, Craig B. said:

Rook, I get that. Did he give himself up though? IMO, he was diving for the endzone not giving himself up.

By rule, they are saying he gave himself up even if he did not. Going down to the ground means you are down. No more falling to the ground and crawling for yards any more. Gets rid of the judgement call.

I think this is a rule interpretation aimed specifically at QB's. I believe Aikman pointed that out in the broadcast that the rule is now interpreted this way because it was too problematic for defensive players to figure out if a slide occurred or not. And I saw elsewhere that it is specific only to QB's running down field and is not applied if QB is scrambling and goes down unassisted. 

42 minutes ago, bucs63 said:

It's one of the QB's are fucking TV star pussies rules. 

Personal Foul. Giving the quarterback the business in the bottom of the pile. (With the suggestive hand motion)

Those were the days my friend...

You write as if this is in the past. Many board members, or maybe it's just a few....alright it is just a couple of us.....reach down into many a pile and give "the business". I realize this goes well beyond football and I'm not legally permitted to define "the business" but this is definitely not something from another time.

1 minute ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

You write as if this is in the past. Many board members, or maybe it's just a few....alright it is just a couple of us.....reach down into many a pile and give "the business". I realize this goes well beyond football and I'm not legally permitted to define "the business" but this is definitely not something from another time.

I justgave myself the business in the bottom of my pile after re=watching quarters 2-4 of yesterday's demolition of the Fudgepackers.  And I agree with DD -- Rodgers is a loathsome prick.  

3 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

True, there's plenty of hand gestures for reaching down there but not much of a pile these days. The lawns are cut. Hedges are trimmed. But it's the same time sticky, uh, risky bidness.