Sign in to follow this  
Buc

Jameis close to signing with the Saints

2 hours ago, Buc said:

I didn't read the whole thing but it appears to be a 1 yr deal - which means he probably won't get a chance to play this year unless Ol Man Brees gets dinged up again.

does that mean Taysome Hill might be available??? LOL

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-jameis-winston-saints-finalizing-deal-081654906.html

They only want to pick his brain. Fortunately this is all they'll find.

NFL Fines Bucs QB Jameis Winston for Poking Helmet of Saints ...  image.jpeg.0b59bf87b41b666a50450427dece3d4b.jpeg  A first date at Taco Bell... | Page 20 | The Dawg Shed  image.jpeg.8aba8c2138052d0d97f4f32803b7199e.jpeg   

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Jameis was probably waiting on the Chargers as there was some talk that he might end up there if they didn't pick a QB.

That would be a shame. As a Saint he would have the opportunity to complete more passes to Buccaneers than he did last year ;)

The notion that teams sign guys to pick their brains re their former team is nonsense.  Playbooks across the league are almost identical - only the verbiage changes.  There's enough video and history for any team to make reasonable guesses about what an opposing coach will do.

Still, I like the idea that the Saints would find that particular cupboard empty.

24 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

Given Winston threw 30 INTs last season, couldn't a good argument be made that Winston doesn't understand our playbook? How much valuable intel would he have to share?

Good Point. . . :hb

My favorite piece of the article: "Winston has size, skill, heart and a tremendous work ethic. His one drawback in a uniform was an inability to cut down on errant passes. That, as it turns out, is what New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees excels at. Winston had 30 interceptions in 626 pass attempts last year. Brees has 29 interceptions in his last 1,900 pass attempts going back nearly four full seasons."

Wow, 29 in 1900 pass attempts.  That's really cool.

Tom Brady - 29 ints vs 2196 pass attempts.  Over the last four full seasons. If you actually look at the same span for Brees, he had 32 INTS in 2076 attempts. Neither of those statistics is bad, but the fact that Romano had to cherry pick the stat to make Brees look like some perfect mentor for Winston is laughable.

And to be clear, I'm not in any way advocating for a Winston on the bench scenario.  I think it would've been a smart move for him at the end of the season to approach Licht hat in hand and see what he could work out for a contract, but that's me.  The 30 mil/year ask blew up in his face and made him look stupid as shit, and that probably resulted in a few less offers as well.  Moving to a division rival may have been his only choice, but if he turned down other offers to join a division rival, kid needs to eat a bowl of dicks. Ton of talent and a very low awareness of his own responsibility.  I hate that shit.

It doesn't matter where he signs.

The incompetent boob has always had the same problems with his game.
Arians couldn't coach it out of him. Koetter couldn't coach it out of him. Lovie......well, Lovie is Lovie. Bajakian couldn't coach it out of him. Monken couldn't coach it out of him. Leftwich couldn't coach it out of him. Christensen couldn't coach it out of him. Jim Bo couldn't coach it out of him.

He is and always will be a guy that had athletic ability with a ten cent brain.
At this stage in his life/career, he'd be better off giving baseball a try. 
He simply doesn't have the head game for NFL QB play. 

8 hours ago, SamuraiBuc said:

It doesn't matter where he signs.

The incompetent boob has always had the same problems with his game.
Arians couldn't coach it out of him. Koetter couldn't coach it out of him. Lovie......well, Lovie is Lovie. Bajakian couldn't coach it out of him. Monken couldn't coach it out of him. Leftwich couldn't coach it out of him. Christensen couldn't coach it out of him. Jim Bo couldn't coach it out of him.

He is and always will be a guy that had athletic ability with a ten cent brain.
At this stage in his life/career, he'd be better off giving baseball a try. 
He simply doesn't have the head game for NFL QB play. 

Come on Sammie..he just needed a great WR or 3, a TE, a great oline and a great RB...and he will be ready to roll. 

I'm guessing with all that he can limit his picks to 15-20 and his fumbles to 5. 

11 hours ago, Justafan said:

My favorite piece of the article: "Winston has size, skill, heart and a tremendous work ethic. His one drawback in a uniform was an inability to cut down on errant passes. That, as it turns out, is what New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees excels at. Winston had 30 interceptions in 626 pass attempts last year. Brees has 29 interceptions in his last 1,900 pass attempts going back nearly four full seasons."

Wow, 29 in 1900 pass attempts.  That's really cool.

Tom Brady - 29 ints vs 2196 pass attempts.  Over the last four full seasons. If you actually look at the same span for Brees, he had 32 INTS in 2076 attempts. Neither of those statistics is bad, but the fact that Romano had to cherry pick the stat to make Brees look like some perfect mentor for Winston is laughable.

And to be clear, I'm not in any way advocating for a Winston on the bench scenario.  I think it would've been a smart move for him at the end of the season to approach Licht hat in hand and see what he could work out for a contract, but that's me.  The 30 mil/year ask blew up in his face and made him look stupid as shit, and that probably resulted in a few less offers as well.  Moving to a division rival may have been his only choice, but if he turned down other offers to join a division rival, kid needs to eat a bowl of dicks. Ton of talent and a very low awareness of his own responsibility.  I hate that shit.

This is a solid summary of my feelings.  For the guy's intellect, which everyone who knows him and has worked wiwth him reports is quite high -- it's baffling that he throws so many bad passed mixed in with so many fargin spectacular passes.  By now, I'm drifting to the camp which says he'll always be like this. Which means he'll throw 33 TDs and 6 INTs the next time he starts. Fargin icehole. 

40 minutes ago, Tundra said:

This is a solid summary of my feelings.  For the guy's intellect, which everyone who knows him and has worked wiwth him reports is quite high -- it's baffling that he throws so many bad passed mixed in with so many fargin spectacular passes.  By now, I'm drifting to the camp which says he'll always be like this. Which means he'll throw 33 TDs and 6 INTs the next time he starts. Fargin icehole. 

Let's be honest though (for a second), his intellect is not that high. If it was, (A) he wouldn't have done the stupid shit he's done, (B) he would have realized that nobody in their right mind was going to give him $30M per year, and (C) he would have been susceptible to coaching to eliminate the mistakes that he has made at least since his college years.

I don't believe the guy has intellect at all. I think he knows how to respond to things that make people think he is somewhat intelligent, when in reality, he's a fucking idiot and not at all coachable. Of course that is strictly my unwashed opinion.

I cheered for him here and wanted him to do good. I was willing to let the past stay in the past in regards to his character, not because I condone anything he was accused of, but because I wanted to believe the guy could genuinely change his life. I am sure he probably has changed his personal life for the better, but his professional career has been very consistent. He can perform at a very high level at times; he can perform at the lowest level at times. I feel like he is exactly the same player he was when we drafted him. Same mistakes. Same uncoachable habits. I am glad the team has moved on from him.

Not so sure about the intellect problem.
Perhaps he fell into the trap of a lot of major college athletes in that he was enabled?
As a redshirt freshman he became the youngest player to win the Heisman and then went on to win a NC.
IIRC he came out of HS with a 4.0 GPA and was recruited by Stanford.
Mooch did a whiteboard with him around the draft and came away pretty impressed with his FB knowledge.
Maybe the lasik issue was his problem all along - maybe he's a late bloomer - or maybe he's just a knucklehead.

We abouta fine out.    

46 minutes ago, SamuraiBuc said:

Yeah, maybe I diminish his intelligence more than is reality. He just seemed....well, dumb to me on a football field. Like super dumb.

But you are right, we will find out.

I don't think it's intellect which has many players not improve for a variety of reasons. Is Mariota dumb, unreceptive, uncoachable, etc because his pocket presence is lacking and it takes him 45 plays to go down the field?