Sign in to follow this  
JOEinPHX

If I Threw 30 Picks, I'd Probably Scapegoat My Eyes Too

From PFT -

It might sound like a joke, but it’s not: Jameis Winston recently underwent eye surgery.

As he was throwing his 30 interceptions in 2019, Winston drew questions about whether he could see. Winston squints as a result of being nearsighted since at least his Florida State days.

“He can’t read the scoreboard but he can see the guys in front of him,” Bucs coach Bruce Arians said in the final press conference of 2019. “So he’s alright.”

Still, Winston underwent LASIK surgery to repair his vision, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Who knows whether Winston’s eyesight played a part in his penchant for throwing balls to the other team? Maybe it was merely poor decision-making.

But Winston recently posted a picture on Instagram of him wearing oversized, dark sunglasses.

The procedure reshapes the cornea to enable light entering the eye to properly focus onto the retina for clearer vision.

It is unknown if anyone associated with the team requested Winston have the surgery or he did it on his own.

Winston led the NFL in passing yards with 5,109 and threw 33 touchdowns.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/12/jameis-winston-undergoes-lasik-surgery-to-repair-vision/

I had LASIK surgery in 2000. It was a great relief not to be so near sighted in my left eye. The right eye was 20-20 but it was weakening as it had to compensate for the weak left eye. Being near sighted gives you almost no peripheral vision and poor judgement on far distances. Can't understand on why as an athlete he did not get it fixed sooner.

One scary thing about LASIK surgery is the tendency to flinch when they  shove the Laser at your eye. I needed two surgeries as I flinched the first time I did it. The first 3 or 4 weeks it is hard to drive a car at night due to occasional star bursts esp  if a car on a two lane roads coming in the other direction hits you with his brights. I hated wearing glasses (required before the surgery) and never tolerated contact lenses very well (trouble with eye infections). LASIK is more advanced than when I had it. If you had  certain types of astigmatisms, you could not get LASIK surgery. I had a weak eye without an astigmatism.

1 hour ago, fanofdabucs said:

So his vision will be fixed now that he's a FA and go on to tear up the league and win multiple titles and MVPs with another team. 

Not that I'm convinced this had much to do with his turnovers, but why the fuck is he just now having this procedure??

I am at a lost for that as he certainly can afford it. And being squeamish about LASIK 20 years ago was more understandable than it is now. When I had LASIK surgery, it was like an express line at a grocery store. They rushed you in and out. The surgery has improved over the years plus he can afford the best doctors doing the procedure. The biggest advantage of the surgery is having better peripheral vision. When I played any sports, I had almost no peripheral vision on the left side of my body where my left eye was even with glasses. It was truly my blind side in football as I did not wear glasses playing football. Now I am far sighted and just started to need glasses for small print.

39 minutes ago, bucs63 said:

Talk about scapegoating. This likely exonerates Jaboob from that Uber driver's accusation. 

He probably was just reaching for his wallet. Her crotch and a leather billfold stuffed with twenties looked about the same.

Not only that, now he can claim he couldn't find the cash register at Publix :blink:

You have to be at least 18. Depending on eye development, some are candidates to have the procedure as early as 20. 

Winston's vision issues were well documented and very obvious while at FSU. He continuously squinted while trying to get the plays from the sideline.

While it's true most people wait until mid 20s..most people's vision isn't as critical as a NFL QB.

Anyway..now that Jaboo has plenty of weapons, a better defense, better coaching and now better vision...he will finally become a winning QB.

1 hour ago, Boatrunner said:

Those were a gift from the Seafood Manager

He couldn't recognize the seafood manager either. Given Winston's eyesight at the time it was probably a Winn Dixie employee who was a Florida fan.

Jokes aside, I do want to see what a QB who threw for 5,000 yards with bad eye sight can do with 20/20 vision - and I don't want to see this experiment with him playing in Carolina.

The longer I think about it, the more sure I am that the franchise tag is the best call the team could make here.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

Jokes aside, I do want to see what a QB who threw for 5,000 yards with bad eye sight can do with 20/20 vision -

If this is truly an issue, if he's had to squint, and it's been part of his problem, who the fuck should be slapped around and fired, or at least hung by the balls from a goal post? 

Lasik? Sure, correct your vision damnit!

But then why hadn't it been addressed as a problem. Why was there no alternative? Why didn't he wear contacts like Drew Brees reportedly does, or did. Brees threw what, 6 picks this year? What's his excuse? None.

I'm all for seeing Jaboob play better next year because he's going to be the QB. I think we've seen what Jaboob can do.

And I'd wanna gouge my fuckin eyes out if in 2020 we see him playing like the first rounder we were sold with the bullshit story of his new 20/20 vision. 

We  are  Bucs.

1 hour ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

Jokes aside, I do want to see what a QB who threw for 5,000 yards with bad eye sight can do with 20/20 vision - and I don't want to see this experiment with him playing in Carolina.

The longer I think about it, the more sure I am that the franchise tag is the best call the team could make here.

Hard to argue with this.  A bit of a tightrope from the front office perspective, but I think it's one I'd walk.

1 hour ago, bucs63 said:

If this is truly an issue, if he's had to squint, and it's been part of his problem, who the fuck should be slapped around and fired, or at least hung by the balls from a goal post? 

Lasik? Sure, correct your vision damnit!

But then why hasn't it been addressed as a problem. Why was there no alternative? Why didn't he wear contacts like Drew Breed reportedly does, or did. Brees threw what, 6 picks this year? What's his excuse? None.

I'm all for seeing Jaboob play better next year because he's going to be the QB. I think we've seen what Jaboob can do.

And I'd wanna gouge my fuckin eyes out if in 2020 we see him playing like the first rounder we were sold with the bullshit story of his new 20/20 vision. 

We  are  Bucs.

That's the overarching question right there.  I don't know if any of the posts about age-appropriateness of the surgery hold water in Winston's case, but that would be the only argument against the procedure that I can think of.  As fanofdabucs notes, FDA approval occurs at age 18, but there seem to be some valid reasons - based on the individual - to postpone.