Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Philip Rivers to the Bucs?

It's karma.  I fucking hated Mike Smith's stupid face when he was Atlanta's HC, so of course he would eventually coach here.  

And suck.

I've never liked Rivers' tantrum-like behavior in San Diego, and that definitely means he should suit up for the Bucs.  

And suck.

I like Rivers however he appeared to lose it a bit last year arm strength wise so I'm not jumping up and down about him replacing Winston nor do I really think he'd improve things all that much if at all.

With that said, the entire "mentoring" aspect of bringing in the veteran to babysit a young guy is, in my opinion, just not etched in reality. These guys want to play, want every rep in practice and helping another guy out is much further down the list of things to accomplish in a given day for any veteran than I think too many fans believe.

Only the Bucs would ditch a 5,000 yard passer for a QB who's maybe got one or two shitty seasons left in him.  It's not like we're drafting Joe Burrow at 14. 

I think Rivers is retiring and bought the house to enjoy being done.  If he or Brady is the QB next year, we're more fucked than we are going with our 26 year old QB who needs to learn how to avoid INT's but excels everywhere else.  

Weirder things have certainly happened, but my best guess is that all this talk and rumor-floating is posturing for contract negotiations.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:30 PM, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

Only the Bucs would ditch a 5,000 yard passer for a QB who's maybe got one or two shitty seasons left in him.

Only the Buccaneers would keep a QB who threw 30 interceptions, 7 pick sixes and 5 fumbles lost. Yes, he accounts for 35 turnovers.

2 hours ago, Chas said:

Only the Buccaneers would keep a QB who threw 30 interceptions, 7 pick sixes and 5 fumbles lost. Yes, he accounts for 35 turnovers.

Rivers threw 23 INT's and Fumbled 8 times last year (only lost 3 though).  He threw for fewer yards and fewer touchdowns.  He's 12 years older than Winston.

I get that Winston has things that need to get better, but Phillip Rivers isn't an upgrade on any level.

The answer to me is you sign Winston if he gives you a turnovers discount, and you franchise him and tell him to go throw for 5,000 yards with half the turnovers if he wants the huge pay day.

Rivers five years ago would've been something to consider.  Even though I hated him then, too.  (Or maybe because I hated him then?)

When Carson Palmer ended up at the Cardinals, he was a 33 year old QB that had spent his first eight seasons with the Bengals to varying success, and was traded to the Raiders where he exhibited a couple of seasons of mediocrity.

The fact that he thrived in Arizona when he was healthy is terrific - but it still took him a season.

Rivers at 38 is going to be a harder sell - he's far more durable than 33 year old Palmer, but he's also stopped exhibiting the arm strength that used to be a major part of his game.  I just don't think there's a lot of biscuit there for Arians to make the risk it attempt.  Which is yet another reason for us to end up with him, because there wouldn't be a lot of logic behind it.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:15 AM, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Andy Dalton is certainly no upgrade over the current situation and it would likely be a worse situation than current.

Dalton fucking sucks.  I think franchising Jameis is probably the right move, but if it’s not going to be Winston, it had better not be Andy fucking Dalton.

I am lucky enough that I have been living out here in San Diego for the last 19 years so I've watched all of Rivers career. He differently has his pros and cons but his desire to win is differently not gone. 

Pros: He is very smart at reading the defense

He uses all his receivers especially the TE

Knows how to get the ball out quick he's had no line the last couple of years

Cons: He will force the ball and has no regret doing it

Can not move in the pocket and has taken a beating the last few years

He likes using his TE BA offense is not set up using TE.