tfree32

Jameis wants more than $30 million a year

That’s probably about his market value.  He already makes $23m and when Mahoney signs for $40m that would be about right.  

Besides, no one negotiates by saying they want the eventual number, they start with a big number and work from there.  

I doubt Jameis is going to have Licht completely over a barrel here. 

The one year franchise tag is 27 million and  will be probably 35 or 40 million the following year after the new QB deals are done. I can not see giving a long term deal either. The Bucs need to lock down Shaq Barrett before fiving out the one year tag. One possibility is the transition tag over the franchise tag and hope that no other team lays out a big offer that the Bucs will have to match.

He is NOT worth no where near 30 million , maybe 10 million. He has done absolutely nothing here. How many playoff games?? How many winning seasons?   Even though the pro-bowl is a personal accomplishment...how many pro-bowls???  ZERO. His known reputation is leading the league in turnovers. He deserves the low end of what a5 yr starter gets. Then  maybe re-negotiate if the team makes a playoff run 

20 minutes ago, Gott kickedoff said:

He is NOT worth no where near 30 million , maybe 10 million. He has done absolutely nothing here. How many playoff games?? How many winning seasons?   Even though the pro-bowl is a personal accomplishment...how many pro-bowls???  ZERO. His known reputation is leading the league in turnovers. He deserves the low end of what a5 yr starter gets. Then  maybe re-negotiate if the team makes a playoff run 

While he's not worth a significant long term deal, this is just idiotic.

Merry Christmas!

5 minutes ago, rook said:

I think the one year franchise tag is all you would want. Does the transition tag save money over the franchise tag? I would not be worried about some team offering Jameis a long term deal. If they did, I am not sure it would be worth the Bucs matching.

That's where I'm at as well. Given the dearth of quality options, keeping him around for another one year audition probably makes sense. If he can make better decisions and take better care of the ball, then you look at a long term deal. But handing him a big money long term deal now is far too risky.

I think the only best option is to franchise him. Yeah he's going to throw a bunch of picks, but at the end of the day, the crop of FAs that will be available doesn't excite me that much and we have no chance at the QB I would draft. Franchising him gives him another year with BA to see if he can turn the corner and if not, cut your losses.

11 hours ago, UncleBuc said:

Dude bought the OL a Big Green Egg Each and a subscription to Omaha Steaks delivery.    That ain't cheap.   He needs a raise.

Lamar Jackson bought his linemen Rolexes.  I guess that says something about something.

14 hours ago, Gott kickedoff said:

You must be thinking of the salary cap from 15 years ago.

Today, back up QB’s are making $5m to $8m.  Like it or not, guys who throw for 5,000 yards are going to get into that $30m range.  That’s today’s NFL and if the Bucs don’t pay him, another QB needy team will, and the Bucs can reach for a QB with the 17th or so pick in the draft and pray that in three years they’ve gotten lucky, but they probably won’t.  

Arians isn’t getting any younger, and he didn’t come out of retirement to rebuild.  Jameis will be back next year, and depending on what the price tag is, probably the next 4 to 5 years, yes at about $27-$30m per.

Also, Jameis has been to a Pro-Bowl. 

I can see the Bucs trying to give Winston a deal similar to what the Dolphins gave Ryan Tannehill when his rookie contract was ending.  A 5 year extension with good guaranteed money, where the team can cut him after year 2 with no cap ramifications.  Kind of a prove it deal.  Didn't work out for the Dolphins too well because Tannehill got hurt in one of the years and missed the season.  

Franchise tag at $27 million per year is  considered below market. Why? Once every QB gets beyond his rookie contract, they get an astronomical deal even if they do nothing but be a starter. If the Bucs use the one Franchise tag two years in a row, the 27 million this year could be 35 million plus as each new QB contract raises the averages of the top 5 salaries for the position. Wait until Lamar Jackson signs his new deal. Andy Dalton will cost over 35 million under a new deal and he led the Bengals to a 1-13 record. His current deal I think will be 17 million next year only as it was signed years ago at the bargain basement price of 6 years and 96 million dollars.. Same with Cam Newton. He has one year left on his deal at the bargain price of $21 million dollars to the cap. If the Panthers knew he was coming back healthy and like the Cam who led them to a Super Bowl,  he would be 6 million below the franchise tag.  Of course Cam counted 23.2 million dollars against the cap for playing 2 games in 2019. It was not a cheap deal this year. It deprived the Panthers of better players as well. Cam since 2016 has cost the team's cap 84+ million dollars and missed 18 of 64  games with a 23-23 record as starter. Even worse as his injuries mount, his rushing yards are not as good either. Best season in yardage was 3,509 with 3,400 yard average in the 3 seasons he played (not counting 2019). Panthers had a much better defense and a rushing game.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cam-newton-7716/

The Bucs will sign him probably to a four deal but probably not for 30 million I believe they will put a lot of incentives into the contract to push him to the 30 million dollar mark. 

Think about it who is really going to sign him especially when you have Josh Rosen still sitting out there who really hasn't gotten a chance on a decent a team. He is still on a rookie contract. 

Anybody who is looking for a QB is drafting one. 

“There’s no evidence to suggest that Winston will figure this out with time. He had 10 picks as a freshman in college, then 18 as a sophomore. His interception rate went from 2.8 percent as an NFL rookie to 3.2 percent in his second year to 3.7 percent in 2018 to 4.7 percent this season. Quarterbacks should get better at avoiding turnovers as time goes on. Winston is the Benjamin Button of interceptions. There aren’t going to be more players like Winston. He’s a one-of-a-kind anti-star who cloaks his devastating tendency for self-destruction inside of a game that reasonably replicates the things good quarterbacks do. He succeeds often enough that teams might be convinced to let him ruin them.”

Jameis' Turnover Rate Gets Worse Each Year

36 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

“There’s no evidence to suggest that Winston will figure this out with time. He had 10 picks as a freshman in college, then 18 as a sophomore. His interception rate went from 2.8 percent as an NFL rookie to 3.2 percent in his second year to 3.7 percent in 2018 to 4.7 percent this season. Quarterbacks should get better at avoiding turnovers as time goes on. Winston is the Benjamin Button of interceptions. There aren’t going to be more players like Winston. He’s a one-of-a-kind anti-star who cloaks his devastating tendency for self-destruction inside of a game that reasonably replicates the things good quarterbacks do. He succeeds often enough that teams might be convinced to let him ruin them.”

Jameis' Turnover Rate Gets Worse Each Year

Cool story. 30 and 30? Is that like Ronde's record. HOF candidate mofos!