Sign in to follow this  
Gulf Shore Steve

Let's talk about "it"

"it" is what to do with the QB position. While I'm not the biggest Winston supporter or hater and find both extremes of the argument tiring and, in particular, having every game the guy plays looked upon as some sort of referendum on his career for some....in some ways I'd like him replaced just because I'm tired of the discussion rather than the either spectacular or head scratching of his play. With that said (hopefully this formats somewhat coherently), here is the Free Agent QB list currently.

Drew Brees QB 41 NO TBD 9 522 2,447 21   1 4   $25,000,000 UFA Market Value
Tom Brady QB 43 NE TBD 15 1,083 3,836 22 34 3 7 4 $23,000,000 UFA Market Value
Eli Manning QB 39 NYG TBD 4 252 1,042 6 7   5 3 $21,000,000 UFA Market Value
Philip Rivers QB 38 LAC TBD 14 907 4,055 21 24   18 8 $20,812,500 UFA Market Value
Teddy Bridgewater QB 28 NO TBD 8 397 1,370 9 34   2 1 $7,250,000 UFA Market Value
Jameis Winston QB 26 TB TBD 15 1,098 4,908 31 245 1 28 12 $6,337,819 UFA Market Value
Marcus Mariota QB 26 TEN TBD 6 365 1,179 7 129   2 3 $6,053,494 UFA -
Chase Daniel QB 33 CHI TBD 3 131 435 3 6   2   $5,000,000 UFA -
Case Keenum QB 32 WAS TBD 8 363 1,343 9 11   4 6 $3,500,000 UFA -
Chad Henne QB 35 KC TBD                 $3,350,000 UFA -
Drew Stanton QB 36 CLE TBD                 $3,250,000 UFA -
Colt McCoy QB 33 WAS TBD 1 59 122   14   1 2 $3,250,000 UFA -
Nate Sudfeld QB 26 PHI TBD                 $3,095,000 UFA -
A.J. McCarron QB 29 HOU TBD 1 4             $3,000,000 UFA -
Josh McCown QB 41 PHI TBD 3 15 24   -2       $2,000,000 UFA -
Ryan Tannehill QB 32 TEN TBD 10 528 2,272 17 157 4 6 6 $2,000,000 UFA Market Value
Trevor Siemian QB 28 NYJ TBD 1 20 3           $2,000,000 UFA -
Mike Glennon QB 30 OAK TBD 2 23 56 1       3 $1,950,000 UFA -
Matt Schaub QB 39 ATL - 6 103 580 3 -3   1 1 $1,890,000 CO -
Brett Hundley QB 27 ARI TBD 1 3             $1,875,000 UFA -
Blaine Gabbert QB 30 TB TBD                 $1,600,000 UFA -
Matt Moore QB 36 KC TBD 5 170 659 4       2 $1,030,000 UFA -
Joe Webb QB 33 HOU TBD                 $1,020,000 UFA -
Blake Bortles QB 28 LAR TBD 3 12 3   -9       $1,000,000 UFA -
Sean Mannion QB 28 MIN TBD 2 5     -5       $895,000 UFA -
Geno Smith QB 29 SEA TBD                 $805,000 UFA -
David Fales QB 29 NYJ TBD 2 8             $805,000 UFA -
Alex Tanney QB 32 NYG TBD 1 2 1           $775,000 UFA -
Jeff Driskel QB 27 DET TBD 3 223 685 4 151 1 4 1 $720,000 UFA -
Dak Prescott QB 27 DAL TBD 14 988 4,334 26 235 3 11 5 $680,848 UFA Market Value
Brandon Allen QB 27 DEN TBD 3 181 515 3 39   2   $645,000 RFA -
Matt Simms QB 31 ATL TBD                 $645,000 UFA -
Nathan Peterman QB 26 OAK TBD                 $645,000 RFA -
Cooper Rush QB 26 DAL TBD 2 5             $556,667 RFA -
Taysom Hill QB 30 NO TBD 14 183 35   141 1     $556,667 RFA -
Nick Mullens QB 25 SF TBD 1 7     -3       $525,000 ERFA -
Kyle Allen QB 24 CAR TBD 12 843 3,027 17 101 2 15 13 $525,000 ERFA -
Josh Woodrum QB 27 WAS TBD                 $495,000 ERFA -

If he is replaced, I hope it is by a guy who can man the position for at least a few years. This, for me, eliminates those I'll refer to as the old guys assuming they hit FA. Prescott's also not going to make it to FA and I'm not a fan of his anyway as I think he's completely a product of his team and when one small part of that fails he's lost. That really cuts down on the numbers.

I don't think the Bucs go for an unproven guy from this list and so the list very quickly reduces to just a few guys:

Winston

Mariota

Teddy

Tannehill

Winston and Mariota have been talked about enough.

Teddy plays the position exactly the way I hate....safely. However with the Saints and that teams offensive talent and defensive play he was able to look pretty good. I'd be concerned about durability with him so the OL would need to be improved and the Bucs would probably need another RB to pair with Ronald Jones to allow for consistent outlet passes to the RBs. As with the Saints, the receiving talent is top notch already. If the defense can improve enough so that the offense is not required to score over 30 a game to be competitive (realizing that the turnovers reduced would help as well), he may work. The thought that he'd be cheap as a starter is misguided. Market value listed if he's signed would be $60mil over 3 years per overthecap.com. I see no reason why he would elect to remain with the Saints as a backup and give up that kind of coin. Now it's possible the Saints move on from Brees and go with Teddy (and/or Taysom Hill).

Tannehill has had 5 games of goodness and a number of years of meh. He would be a distant second choice for me. The Titans have a completely different style in running the ball first with Henry and the Bucs just don't play that type of game nor do they have the talent currently to do so. Tannehill would also be more expensive than Bridgewater at over $75mil over 3 years.

I would, at this point to end the constant arguments about Winston, take Bridgewater over Winston  but stick with Winston over Tannehill.

Possible trade candidates:

Cam -  if he's available via trade or FA please no. Plus he just doesn't fit anything the Bucs do.

Derek Carr - if the Raiders are ready to move on and draft their guy maybe the move on from Carr. When he was in the draft, I hoped the Bucs would take him. Not his greatest fan but he'd at least likely not be a downgrade from the current situation. Mid 20's in cost but fixed at this point.

Nick Foles - I've never been a fan of his even in his Super Bowl winning year. There just seems to be looooong periods of game(s) in which he does nothing followed by short bursts of brilliance. Low 20's in cost but fixed at this point.

Dalton - please no although I think it could happen which is quite concerning. I'm really not sure what he'd cost.

With any of these guys the Bucs have to give up trade pieces as well which is concerning.

The draft is something to be looked at once the Bucs draft position is finalized and what QBs might be available are established.

At this point I'd probably be at a Bridgewater or Winston decision.

It sounds like the Bucs are set on bringing Winston back likely on another one year audition. With the last few wins, our draft position won’t allow us to grab a top QB prospect. The free agents likely to be available aren’t exciting. But I think it’s vital to spend a midround pick on a prospect Arians and Leftwich can groom. K.J. Costello or Jordan Love would be interesting pickups.

3 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Possible trade candidates:

Cam -  if he's available via trade or FA please no. Plus he just doesn't fit anything the Bucs do.

Derek Carr - if the Raiders are ready to move on and draft their guy maybe the move on from Carr. When he was in the draft, I hoped the Bucs would take him. Not his greatest fan but he'd at least likely not be a downgrade from the current situation. Mid 20's in cost but fixed at this point.

Nick Foles - I've never been a fan of his even in his Super Bowl winning year. There just seems to be looooong periods of game(s) in which he does nothing followed by short bursts of brilliance. Low 20's in cost but fixed at this point.

Dalton - please no although I think it could happen which is quite concerning. I'm really not sure what he'd cost.

With any of these guys the Bucs have to give up trade pieces as well which is concerning.

The draft is something to be looked at once the Bucs draft position is finalized and what QBs might be available are established.

At this point I'd probably be at a Bridgewater or Winston decision.

So first off The OP and your backup post are pretty good ...you laid it out nicely....I hate me saying I think Jameis is our best option he drives me nuts with the int's….but he fits in with Bruce Ariens  philosophy No riskit no Biskit     …..Teddy would be next but there's no excitement in his game for me....

20 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

It sounds like the Bucs are set on bringing Winston back likely on another one year audition. With the last few wins, our draft position won’t allow us to grab a top QB prospect. The free agents likely to be available aren’t exciting. But I think it’s vital to spend a midround pick on a prospect Arians and Leftwich can groom. K.J. Costello or Jordan Love would be interesting pickups.

Had to look both these dudes up I don't watch  Utah State or Stanford ...Don't know anything about either 

13 minutes ago, NNUD28 said:

Had to look both these dudes up I don't watch  Utah State or Stanford ...Don't know anything about either 

I’ve seen a bit of both this season. Costello seems a little more polished, but Love has crazy upside. He’s big, strong, athletic, and has a cannon of an arm. He’s accurate, but needs work on technique and going through his progressions. He’d be a great fit for what Arians and Leftwich seem to want to do.

https://nflmocks.com/2019/12/21/2020-nfl-draft-jordan-love-report/

I see the Titans as they are the local team. I like Tannehill over Bridgewater. Bridgewater is Mariota lite. He will light up his receivers unless they have good separation. He is good in not turning the ball over but so is Mariota. Hence Mariota with better pocket awareness and can read defenses better.

Tannehill has issues at time holding the ball too long but he is not afraid to throw it downfield. He is pretty accurate and more of a risk taker than Bridgewater but not Winston. He is not a turnover machine either. Tannehill takes chances without being a turnover machine. He throws it faster than Bridgewater but not as fast as Winston although it is pretty close. The Tannehill I have seen in Tennessee is better than the guy in Miami.

3 minutes ago, rook said:

I see the Titans as they are the local team. I like Tannehill over Bridgewater. Bridgewater is Mariota lite. He will light up his receivers unless they have good separation. He is good in not turning the ball over but so is Mariota. Hence Mariota with better pocket awareness and can read defenses better.

Tannehill has issues at time holding the ball too long but he is not afraid to throw it downfield. He is pretty accurate and more of a risk taker than Bridgewater but not Winston. He is not a turnover machine either. Tannehill takes chances without being a turnover machine. He throws it faster than Bridgewater but not as fast as Winston although it is pretty close. The Tannehill I have seen in Tennessee is better than the guy in Miami.

What’s your take on Mariota? Is he fixable? He dealt with a ton of coaching turnover in Tennessee, not great weapons, not great support, etc. Would a move to a new team reboot his career? He seems like a great guy. It would be nice to see him get another shot.

1 hour ago, tfree32 said:

What’s your take on Mariota? Is he fixable? He dealt with a ton of coaching turnover in Tennessee, not great weapons, not great support, etc. Would a move to a new team reboot his career? He seems like a great guy. It would be nice to see him get another shot.

Mariota has to be reworked. A mobile guy like him should not be a sack machine. I saw the Steelers game where he was sacked 11 times and completed 10 passes. He will not make many turnovers by picks or fumbles but he will wear out your punter. That is what got him replaced by Tannehill. Vrabel wanted Mariota to be the guy. Guy works hard and is well liked but he is not a productive QB and certainly is nowhere near Tannehill's level. 

Titans can not afford to let Tannehill go. He will be a FA but I think he wants to be with Tennessee. He played well to start the game but the Saints adjusted and both the Titans offense and defense struggled in the second  and third quarter after starting out up 14-0. He played well in the third and 4th quarter but the Saints offense had taken over the game.