Another 98 passing yards gets Winston to 5K.

If he has another 300 yard game he moves into a tie for 4th place all time single season passing yards behind only Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady.

Or, the Bucs could decide to sit Jameis out  - which would leave him where he is today at #19 all time.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_single_season.htm

Definitely for the one year franchise tag after Saturday as the only QB the Bucs can sign this offseason will have a different set of issues. Tannehill is the only guy that I would want. I do not think he is going anywhere. Bridgewater may not either as he may bide his time waiting for Brees to retire and enjoy being the highest paid backup in the NFL. 

I definitely do not want Andy Dalton. Mariotta is a project bigger than Jameis. He has the turnover issue settled but not much else.

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I can't see Bridgewater turning down a likely multi year contract at $20mil per year or better for a backup deal with the Saints again. Prior to last season he really hadn't played in quite a while. Now he's shown himself....and showed well...for 5 or 6 games which he should take advantage of.

Isn't Brees nearing the end though? Is it worth waiting another season (or two) to inherit running the Saints? Bridgewater strikes me as a good but limited system QB who would struggle if he's asked to carry an offense. I think he needs a good fit to excel. 

2 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I can't see Bridgewater turning down a likely multi year contract at $20mil per year or better for a backup deal with the Saints again. Prior to last season he really hadn't played in quite a while. Now he's shown himself....and showed well...for 5 or 6 games which he should take advantage of.

Robosack Rob Johnson got paid a ton of money from the Bills for the one good game he came in for Brunell and beat the Ravems 28-27 in 1997. Bills gave up a 1st and 4th round pick for Rob Johnson.and signed him to a 5 year 25 million dollar deal. In 1999, he had a fight with the starting job for Flutie. Flutie won the job but the owner intervened and made Johnson the starting QB against the Titans when the playoffs started. Flutie was resting the last week of the season against the Colts and lost his starting job. Robosack had a great game. Owner demanded that he was paying Rob Johnson big money and wanted him to start. Even though Rob played like crap, the Bills were ahead 16-15 until Music City Miracle lateral play. Flutie was the better QB in 2000 but once again Buffalo chose Robosack over Flutie even though Flutie had a much better record in Buffalo than Rob Johnson. In 2001, Robosack sucked his way off the team. In 2002, he got to be Brad Johnson's backup and barely beat one of the two worst QBs in NFL history (Randy Faisani of Carolina and Henry Burriss of Chicago) without leading the team on a TD drive. Bucs shut out Burriss and picked him 4 times while golden arm Faisani was the stud with 4/15 2 picks and a strip sack fumble by Simeon Rice. Technically he was 2-0 as a starting QB.

Yeah, capitalizing while the iron is hot and suckering  a team into paying you big money works.

3 hours ago, tfree32 said:

Isn't Brees nearing the end though? Is it worth waiting another season (or two) to inherit running the Saints? Bridgewater strikes me as a good but limited system QB who would struggle if he's asked to carry an offense. I think he needs a good fit to excel. 

I don't disagree with the assessment of the player but if the Saints don't move on from Brees after this season, Bridgewater's putting a lot of faith in waiting a year to get the starting job next year if he can get a starter's role and paycheck this offseason.

(A Christmas story)

Marino was the first to ever do it and threw for over 5K in '84. They went 14-2. He was named the NFL MVP.

Didn't happen again until '08 when Brees got the first of his five with three consecutive and was twice named Offensive player of the year. There are only five other QB's who've made the mark and it's notable all occurred in the last ten years. And they managed to do it only once.

Here's the rest: Manning. who still holds the yardage record at 5,477 and was NFL MVP. There's Brady. Stafford, who squeaked in leading the Lions to the playoffs and was named Comeback Player of the Year. Rapistburger did it last year. And Mahomes did too last year, being named the NFL MVP.

And we'll add Winston for 2019.  A non-losing season (yeah, they crush the Falcons) and ranked as high in the South as Dirk's first year as Head Coach. Winston and the Bucs in the record books. For something positive. Winston earning a second contract. Winston in the driver's seat.

Fans will take his name for their little newborn baby's. Little Winstons and Jamesis will fill schools throughout Central Florida. Proud dad's will take them to the stadium to take photo's with all the Winston statuary for their baby albums. Schools hosting field trips the to the Winston Memorabilia and History Museum section will clog the roads like it was game day. The debate gets heated when the old guard refuses to accept the name change for the Gasparilla festival but common sense prevails. 

2020. Bless his heart.