Sign in to follow this  
rook

Could Nick Foles be a short term option?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jaguars-switching-back-to-rookie-qb-minshew-amid-4-game-skid/ar-BBXFa5N?ocid=spartandhp

Jaguars have a lot of money tied up with Foles and may cut him as Minshew's cheap salary makes that possible. I know he crashed in Jacksonville but he has been a good QB and should come with a huge discount as all the guaranteed money is on Jacksonville's ledger.

Tannehill is the highest paid backup in the NFL. This was his deal to get to the Titans. Dolphins ate a lot of the contract just to get his salary off the book. And the Dolphins are paying Fitzmagic a lot more than the Jaguars are paying Minshew. Far cheaper than any starting QB not under their rookie contract.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26274671/dolphins-trade-quarterback-tannehill-titans

It is difficult to give Winston that type of money he will earn with the mistakes he makes. I know moving the ball compensates for some of the turnover  issues but unfortunately not all of them. It is like having a home run hitter who is one of the leaders in home runs but who strikes out over 200 plus times a year. Anyone remember Dave Kingman when he was with the Mets? He is better than Kingman but he has some of the same all or nothing issues.

It should be noted that Brad Johnson who was always considered cautious and ball secure QBs threw 22 picks in 2003 when the Bucs D fell off and he had to throw more and take more risks as the Bucs were trailing and not sitting on leads like they were in 2002.

1 hour ago, rook said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jaguars-switching-back-to-rookie-qb-minshew-amid-4-game-skid/ar-BBXFa5N?ocid=spartandhp

Jaguars have a lot of money tied up with Foles and may cut him as Minshew's cheap salary makes that possible. I know he crashed in Jacksonville but he has been a good QB and should come with a huge discount as all the guaranteed money is on Jacksonville's ledger.

Why the hell would the Bucs want an overpaid QB that got benched in favor of a rookie against the Bucs D?  

1 hour ago, Boatrunner said:

Why the hell would the Bucs want an overpaid QB that got benched in favor of a rookie against the Bucs D?  

He also won a Super Bowl with the Eagles and played pretty good on some bad Eagles teams. BTW, ever heard of Jim Plunkett. A near decade of futility before he won 2 Super Bowls with the Raiders. Brad Johnson  was drafted in a round that no longer exists and was in NFL Europe. Steve Young was a horrible QB until he was rescued by the San Francisco 49ers. Failure at one place does not mean the QB is terrible. Remember Vinny Testaverde. He was hardly the same QB as he was here.

Well, what is the objective?  To have a serviceable starter when we dump Winston and his 20 million, a backup, a Brad Johnson type?

IMHO, Brad Johnson was actually pretty good before he became a Buc.  Seemed like the Redskins owner got rid of a good QB in hopes of gaining a HOF type franchise QB to carry the team.  Don't think Foles fits the BJohnson mold, and we got Brad kind of late.  Then our defense isn't carrying the team.

Foles had a bad game but that is not his whole career. He won a Super Bowl for the Eagles and not as a caretaker. He had to put up good numbers to win that title. Last year against the Bucs he put up 334 yards on 35/48. He was beaten by Fitzpatrick who had to throw for 402 yards. He had a great game without Sproles, Alshon Jeffries, Mike Wallace and their starting left tackle in the first half.

This is his career stats. https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14877/nick-foles

That decision is orobably going to cost you players. The cap is not unlimited. Not counting Winston, You have Shaq Barrett, JPP, Suh are FAs and Godwin entering the last year of his rookie deal. You need a new right tackle as well as Dotson is old and just not that good anymore.

Maybe there is a way to manage the salary cap to get around these issues but I am not sure how.

The Bucs have a boatload of money available next year. JPP won't be back. Foles saves money but the thought that he's any better than Winston or even as good as Winston is not something I would agree with. For whatever reason, he seemed to thrive in Philly and only in Philly in two stints.

I'm not jumping up and down about bringing Winston back but I just don't see anything that is definitively better than he available.

34 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

The Bucs have a boatload of money available next year. JPP won't be back. Foles saves money but the thought that he's any better than Winston or even as good as Winston is not something I would agree with. For whatever reason, he seemed to thrive in Philly and only in Philly in two stints.

I'm not jumping up and down about bringing Winston back but I just don't see anything that is definitively better than he available.

Don't you think they go to Brate and say pay cut or test your value?  $6M for a position they rarely use.