Sign in to follow this  
fanofdabucs

Secondary/Defense

This defense has come under a lot of criticism and justifiably so.

The defensive line has been the biggest surprise of the season. Barrett is a stud, the surprising return of JPP, the continued growth of Vea and the solid play of Gholston and Suh. 

Inside LBer play has been stellar vs the run most of season, led by David. White looks to have turned a corner a couple weeks ago and is now playing much more instinctively and flying around. Coverage still isn't great.

But the secondary has looked completely lost for most of the season. But when you have a new scheme, coupled with a secondary made up of mostly rookies and 2nd year players, it will take time for the young players to learn how to play and for the coaches to figure which players to use and how to use them.

Carlton Davis easily had his best game of his career yesterday. He has shown splashes, but yesterday he was all over his man and his INT was a thing of beauty. Dean made some nice plays, SMB played better as well. Edwards has really struggled this year, but he finally showed his potential yesterday. He was flying around and close on a couple pass break ups to getting INTs.

Davis, Dean, SMB, Edwards, Whitehead. Those 5 guys all have plenty of talent and are all rookies or 2nd year players. 

I think we were spoiled when Donnie Abraham and Dwight Smith were drafted and immediately played well in the old Tampa 2. Talib amd Tanard Jackson had a good rookie seasons. The trouble is many other secondary players the Bucs drafted were awful and never did anything. It is hard to remember that Ronde Barber did not become a good player until Season 3 and a great player by Season 6.

Julio Jones was covered as well as he could be ….Julio will get his and Matt Ryan is not used to being  Terrorized by the Bucs like he was yesterday....Ryan was not good.....I'm hoping this is a trend for the young secondary.....Just maybe we have something to work with..

On 11/25/2019 at 8:30 AM, rook said:

I think we were spoiled when Donnie Abraham and Dwight Smith were drafted and immediately played well in the old Tampa 2. Talib amd Tanard Jackson had a good rookie seasons. The trouble is many other secondary players the Bucs drafted were awful and never did anything. It is hard to remember that Ronde Barber did not become a good player until Season 3 and a great player by Season 6.

Barber was AWFUL as a rookie. Kelly was really bad as well. John Lynch, albeit in different role/scheme was awful his rookie year.

46 minutes ago, fanofdabucs said:

Barber was AWFUL as a rookie. Kelly was really bad as well. John Lynch, albeit in different role/scheme was awful his rookie year.

Lynch was in DC Floyd Peters aka Sergeant Rock 3-5-3 where the safeties were a hybrid linebacker and defensive back. The defensive line  changed from one gap and two gap systems which confused opposing offenses as well as the defense that was running it. The best thing Dungy did was established order in the system and play its system really well.

Another fantastic game from the young defense.

White continued his great play by leading the team in tackles, an INT, a fumble recovery for a TD, 2 pass defensed and a couple QB pressures.

David is flying around making plays.

Davis and SMB continue to improve and play well. 

Barrett continues to make bigtime splash play. Vea is becoming a force in the middle. JPP is showing he still has it and there IS a place for him in this defense. Nassib is solid.

Winston didn't throw a pick, so that's huge. He also made some really nice throws and in Winston fashion missed some easy ones. 

Perriman showing?! Howard showing!

Ryan Smith should stay on STs or maybe be moved back to safety. He can tackle, but he can't cover anyone.

This team isn't as far away as some thought.

If they keep Jaboo, then I say their immediate need is a RT. Dotson ain't got it anymore. 

Go Bucs!

13 minutes ago, rook said:

Ryan Smith was the only downside in the secondary. He played because Dean was hurt. A healthy Dean and I think the Bucs shut the Jags out. Jags went after Smith as soon as he came in.

Yes I thought this exactly......Buc D held fournette to 38 yards.....

12 hours ago, Gott kickedoff said:

The  Defense in general grades out to be a C-minus. No where close to the Dungy days. They had potential hall of famers at each position on Dungys  defense

Jaimie Duncan, Steve White Shelton Quarles, Al Singleton, Regan Upshaw, Marcus Jones, Damien Robinson, Dexter Jackson, Booger McFarland, Brian Kelly, Dwight Smith were not potential Hall of Famers. Even very good players like Donnie Abraham was not a potential Hall of Famer. The players I listed were drafted by Dungy. I am not going to list the people he inherited. Most were good players. Regan Upshaw was a  decent pass rusher but horrific against the run. Only got a 7th round conditional pick for a guy Dungy drafted in the first round. Marcus Jones has two good years out of 7. Some of these guys fit in Dungy's defense but were terrible when they left (See Jaimie Duncan).

There were non Dungy drafted players Lynch became a great player in Dungy's defense but he was not much in Floyd Peters defense. Brad Culpepper had some good years under this system but did nothing in Chicago or Minnesota. Hardy Nickerson was great before Dungy ever coached him. As good as he was, he is not a Hall of Famer either. I think Quarles was better than Hardy as the Mike position evolved from a run stopper to a coverage guy. Simeon Rice was a great player before he was acquired by Dungy.

Teams in the modern NFL can not have Hall of Famers at each position as the salary cap will not allow it.