Sign in to follow this  
NNUD28

Jason Licht has been GM 90 games

This team has won 30 of those games ...The front office and the scouts are a major problem...Now they have a head coach that is full of bullshit and an OC that is pass happy ...No secondary. I don't see this team getting better anytime soon unless changes are made up front..Look at what John Lynch has done in 2 years in SF.....This franchise is really pathetic

Licht and the scouting department are a problem. The coaches are a problem. It has been an issue since we ran Gruden out of town. Look at what Gruden has done in two years at Oakland. Lynch in two years at San Fran.

The Glazers have to start hiring the correct people... unfortunately, this means cleaning house again. Hitting the reset button. I bet Miami is more competitive than the Buccaneers next year.

23 minutes ago, Chas said:

Licht and the scouting department are a problem. The coaches are a problem. It has been an issue since we ran Gruden out of town. Look at what Gruden has done in two years at Oakland. Lynch in two years at San Fran.

The Glazers have to start hiring the correct people... unfortunately, this means cleaning house again. Hitting the reset button. I bet Miami is more competitive than the Buccaneers next year.

Wouldn't surprise me one  bit 

1 hour ago, Chas said:

The Glazertards will not hire the correct people. They reject the correct people. They rejected the New Oakland coach who wasnt going to take their shit. They hired Arians because they are keeping Winston. They made the shit hole. They run the shit hole. 

Anything better would be purely coincidental.

Was the GM and scouting good under Gruden?  Seemed like we had some pretty serious whiffs during that era.  We did well with free agent acquisitions, but the rest was a crap shoot at best.  Name 5 players drafted from GruAllen who really panned out for us?  Talib had talent, but was a unmanageable headcase.  Caddy was great, but got injured and it was argued when he was drafted that because of his running style that was likely.

JMHO, the owners would have been justified in firing Allen, but many do the owners need to go.  Nothing changes until that happens.

34 minutes ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Was the GM and scouting good under Gruden?  Seemed like we had some pretty serious whiffs during that era.  We did well with free agent acquisitions, but the rest was a crap shoot at best.  JMHO, the owners would have been justified in firing Allen.

It was pretty good during the Wyche years. Dungy's days saw some good picks. Not sure how much control Gruden had over picks like Simms n other notables...

McKay picked Simms. No way his skillset (better at the deep ball than the short passing game) was something Gruden would have chosen.

For reasons unknown to many, Glazers hitched their wagon to Simms and thus no Aaron Rodgers. When anyone says the Glazers don't interfere, this is piece of evidence #1 that this is not true at all.

Yeah, I fully agree that the Glazers and McKay forced a few pieces of crap on Gruden.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't Gruden's first choice, but Allen and the scouts back then weren't finding gems in the draft either.  How many of the Gruden era picks lasted 8-10 years in the league?  How many made it to a probowl or two?  Talib had talent, but was a known headcase and was still a bust pick for us.  Again, more of a rip on Allen and scouting.

Wish we had owners like this that won't accept mediocrity. The Glazer's put up a new Jumbotron and think the fans will flock to Ray Jay again. Until they are gone, things won't change around here. At this point, I'd be happy with mediocrity, it would be an improvement over 5-11...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28110486/panthers-owner-david-tepper-frustrated-latest-loss-says-accept-long-term-mediocrity

11 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Yeah, I fully agree that the Glazers and McKay forced a few pieces of crap on Gruden.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't Gruden's first choice, but Allen and the scouts back then weren't finding gems in the draft either.  How many of the Gruden era picks lasted 8-10 years in the league?  How many made it to a probowl or two?  Talib had talent, but was a known headcase and was still a bust pick for us.  Again, more of a rip on Allen and scouting.

Wasn't really commenting on drafts during the Gruden era other than the fact that McKay picked Simms and that affected choices down the road.

Gruden's years actually featured some decent OL picks but the misfortune of injury hit them with Dan Buenning and Aaron Sears. Davin Joseph was pretty good and Trueblood was serviceable as was Jeremy Zuttah. Overall though, mediocre. He certainly never drafted a player as good as Mike Evans.

I believe Gruden's success in 2005 brought the team down as it taught that the Glazer triplets that the team could win on the cheap. The Bucs were in cap hell in 2005 from a lot of dead money contracts (Keyshawn and Brad Johnson and 2004 free agents as Steussie Garner and Deese.) and money from previous extensions to Rice, Quarles, Brooks etc

Yet the Bucs improved from 2004 to 2005 from 5-11 to 11-5. They won a division title and had a home playoff game. Hovan and Anthony Becht were the highest paid FAs that year. They were modest contracts. Hovan's was a one year 2.5 million dollar deal. Becht was 1.7 or 1.8 million. The OL was late round draft picks (LG Bunning and RG Mahan) and undrafted free agent at LT Anthony Davis. Kenyatta Walker was in the last year of his rookie deal. Center John Wade made more than the other 4. Juran Boldan was a cheap veteran acquisition. Jermaine Phillips after two poor years had a solid 2005. Rookie TE Alex Smith blocked Julius Peppers better than Kenyatta Walker. ROY Cadillac Williams dominated the ground game. After an injury to Brian Griese, the Glazers thought their selection of Chris Simms made them geniuses for passing on Aaron Rodgers for Cadillac Williams.

The bad lesson learned that the Glazers believed they could win every year with good draft picks and cheap FA pickups.The Bucs cap space grew larger year. It did not help in 2007 that the team won the NFC South again with a fat surplus in cap space without being in cap space hell. The growth of the NFL salary cap made it easier to stay under the cap and not have to purchase "Tiger Woods" free agents to stay competitive. The height of the cap space growth was in 2009 when the Bucs I believe were way over 50 million dollars in surplus cap space as they dumped almost every high paid vet off their roster. Even with that salary dump, you had grossly overpaid duds in Antonio Bryant (franchised WR) Michael Clayton and Byron Leftwich and kicker Michael Nugent which proved you could waste a ton of money and be cheap at the same time. Unfortunately 2010 10-6 record convinced the Glazer triplets that this formula had only a year glitch. The rest is historical failures.

Every time they think they are dead wrong a good season like 2005, 2007 and even 2010 they are following the right path. I think 2016 they thought they had gotten over the hump as well. This team has not had two winning seasons in a row since 2007 and 2008. Even though the results suck, they are still making money although good results would have made them much richer.