Sign in to follow this  
Gulf Shore Steve

Bobo and Bond released

OT sorta. . . It was interesting to read how the Patriots (Ernie Adams) found that a left footed punter would give the team a certain percentage (don't remember) of muffed punts during a given season and thats why they coveted a left footed punter.    He is an interesting read - https://www.sportscasting.com/meet-the-mysterious-man-behind-the-patriots-dynasty/

On 10/18/2019 at 7:46 AM, Buc said:

OT sorta. . . It was interesting to read how the Patriots (Ernie Adams) found that a left footed punter would give the team a certain percentage (don't remember) of muffed punts during a given season and thats why they coveted a left footed punter.    He is an interesting read - https://www.sportscasting.com/meet-the-mysterious-man-behind-the-patriots-dynasty/

I'm not one who buys a whole lot into the Patriots mystery beyond two factors. 1. The head coach who simply is a matchup genius and has been going back to his days with the Giants. 2. The QB who single-handedly improves the teams OL and skill position rooms.

Could probably say the same 2 things about the Saints. . . they just don't have the hardware.

Must me more to it with the Pats. . . spyware,  deflate gate et all. . . .    just thinking out loud

On 10/19/2019 at 11:12 AM, Buc said:

Could probably say the same 2 things about the Saints. . . they just don't have the hardware.

Must me more to it with the Pats. . . spyware,  deflate gate et all. . . .    just thinking out loud

Patriots make a lot of good moves.  The entire focus is on doing everything to win.  Great QB, but Belicheat might have been ready to have Garoppolo take over soon before he was overridden (possibly?). 

Things they seem to do right....
1. Cheat...nobody cheats like those fuckers.  Nobody.  They cheated so badly that the NFL itself destroyed the evidence due to fear of lawsuits.
2. They are willing to unload older players as their play declines instead of holding on to them due to loyalty.
3. They are very good at trading for picks and playing the trade game.
4. They have a strong enough culture and good enough talent that they can take in problem players on the cheap, get great play for them for a year or two, without them damaging the team culture.  What would often be subtraction by addition for other teams, gives them top notch talent.  Also, players will take a cheaper year with the Patriots to get a Super Bowl win and improve their value.
5. Because of 3 and 4, they are able to draft with a focus on talent without reaching for players due to need.
6. Because of 2-5, they are able to avoid cap hell, and have plenty of cap space to acquire talent when it becomes available.

Then there's good coaching and all that.

11 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Patriots make a lot of good moves.  The entire focus is on doing everything to win.  Great QB, but Belicheat might have been ready to have Garoppolo take over soon before he was overridden (possibly?). 

Things they seem to do right....
1. Cheat...nobody cheats like those fuckers.  Nobody.  They cheated so badly that the NFL itself destroyed the evidence due to fear of lawsuits.
2. They are willing to unload older players as their play declines instead of holding on to them due to loyalty.
3. They are very good at trading for picks and playing the trade game.
4. They have a strong enough culture and good enough talent that they can take in problem players on the cheap, get great play for them for a year or two, without them damaging the team culture.  What would often be subtraction by addition for other teams, gives them top notch talent.  Also, players will take a cheaper year with the Patriots to get a Super Bowl win and improve their value.
5. Because of 3 and 4, they are able to draft with a focus on talent without reaching for players due to need.
6. Because of 2-5, they are able to avoid cap hell, and have plenty of cap space to acquire talent when it becomes available.

Then there's good coaching and all that.

True, but what it really comes down to is great ownership.
That is the key ingredient Tampa has lacked since Malcolm passed.
I feel like he was a good owner. His inbred offspring aren't even in the same zip code as the old man.

The reason the Patriots have been as consistently successful as they have is because of 2 people and possibly a third reason. Bill Bellichek, Tom Brady and I think they have been massively assisted by the division they play in.

I've never bought the entire "organization" theory. Take Bellichek away and they will drop precipitously even with Brady. Take Brady away and I don't think they consistently win. Put them in a division with some viable NFL franchises and I don't think they consistently win.

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

The reason the Patriots have been as consistently successful as they have is because of 2 people and possibly a third reason. Bill Bellichek, Tom Brady and I think they have been massively assisted by the division they play in.

It might help them get to the dance but Brady and Belicheat been takin home the Belle's of da balls.

And whoever's doing it, they do a great job with #'s 3 and 4 in Bonzai's post.

It helps with seeding. There's little opportunity for a 9-7 year which barely makes the playoffs or gets them kicked out.

The personnel is also majorly helped out by Brady. I don't think his presence can be underestimated. The line play and WRs alone are helped by Brady making trades and drafting much better than it probably seems which really isn't that great when you look at things overall. Those are all majorly influenced by Bellichek as well.

Go back to the Giants 1990 Super Bowl team(and in particular the game itself) for the dawn of Bill Bellichek and his ability...learned from Parcells....the morph a team into whatever a coach wants.

3 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I've never bought the entire "organization" theory. Take Bellichek away and they will drop precipitously even with Brady. Take Brady away and I don't think they consistently win. Put them in a division with some viable NFL franchises and I don't think they consistently win.

I'm not going to disagree, but because of the above and the money they have taken in there's a synergy going on that is helping as well.   They have more money to throw at support personnel, they're drafting form a better place (best talent vs need), and players will take less money to play for them.  Maybe a bit like the old 49ers team, but they don't have worries about Cap hell because they are tight with spending.

But I agree, without Brady (or someone like him) and Bellichek, it falls apart

On 10/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, bucs63 said:

It might help them get to the dance but Brady and Belicheat been takin home the Belle's of da balls.

And whoever's doing it, they do a great job with #'s 3 and 4 in Bonzai's post.

It also helps keep their injuries down by playing less competitive games.  But the Patriots might be a good part of why Miami and New York aren't as competitive.  The fans of those teams are pretty fickle, and practically being blocked from the playoffs (losing 2 games a season and having to go the wildcard route) has probably taken a big chunk out of their revenue.