Sign in to follow this  
fanofdabucs

Hudson

Not sure they trade Brate but he's Brate's replacement next year. It probably comes down to how many WRs and TE they keep. The total number will probably be 9 between the two positions. Right now I can't find another WR beyond Evans, Perriman, Godwin and maybe Watson. Bobo was sloppy tonight and none of the other guys stood out. The fact that these two guys (and Anthony Johnson) played until the next to last drive makes me think that the final 2 or three come from these three and none of the other guys has any legit shot. The WR they just picked up from the Bears may actually have the best shot maybe if he shows in the final two PS games.

17 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Not sure they trade Brate but he's Brate's replacement next year. It probably comes down to how many WRs and TE they keep. The total number will probably be 9 between the two positions. Right now I can't find another WR beyond Evans, Perriman, Godwin and maybe Watson. Bobo was sloppy tonight and none of the other guys stood out. The fact that these two guys (and Anthony Johnson) played until the next to last drive makes me think that the final 2 or three come from these three and none of the other guys has any legit shot. The WR they just picked up from the Bears may actually have the best shot maybe if he shows in the final two PS games.

I think the 4 locks are Evans, Godwin, Perriman, Watson. The 5th WR spot seems still up for grabs.

They will most likely keep 4 TEs considering they run a lot of 2 TE sets. 

Not sure they would keep 4 TEs just to fill the position. It's the fact that Hudson has stood out which would make them keep 4 TEs. As much as Brate and Hudson are mentioned, I'd bet the initial 12 personnel base package is Howard and Auclair.

Watson I'm not sure he's a lock. He's closer to a roster spot than the others but he hasn't been as good as I thought he would be so far this pre-season. Then again, he has QBs bouncing throws to him so maybe that's hurt him.

Scotty Miller has yet to dress. If he can be there in the Brownstain's game his targets will tell us a lot, about how BA is wanting to see him in live actoin and whether JW or Goobert can fins him/ 

On the subject of Goobert -- please give Griff a chance with the 2s at least. Holy hell the dude throws the ball to the perfect spot with fuckers hanging on him. No it's not a Nolan Ryan fastball but I'd rather him than Goobert who has the IQ of a pool slug. 

Went back and rewatched the game. One thing that we've assumed is that Auclair is penciled in as the blocking TE. 

He has one job to do and that's to block, and at least last night, he was awful at that. He whiffed on one running play that resulted in a 5 yard loss. Then he blew another block in pass pro. Then to be sure he didn't miss the opportunity at the Trifecta, he whiffed a block on a kickoff return. 

I dont expect him to make any plays as a receiver, but if you're the "blocking" TE, please at least not suck at that.

Last years staff had mixed feelings on Hudson.  TE coach Ben Steele thought he was too soft and easily dominated by larger players, but was always impressed with his hands and what he did with limited athleticism.  Don't know what this years staff thinks of him, but if he's toughened up, he has a shot.

15 minutes ago, JOEinPHX said:

Last years staff had mixed feelings on Hudson.  TE coach Ben Steele thought he was too soft and easily dominated by larger players, but was always impressed with his hands and what he did with limited athleticism.  Don't know what this years staff thinks of him, but if he's toughened up, he has a shot.

Last week Arians was negative on him for his two penalties on special teams. Yesterday Arians was negative on him for failing to block, so I'm thinking the dude will be a ex-Buc. He and Griffin will probably become Falcons and haunt the shit out of us. 

One difference between Brate and Hudson is that I've seen Brate catch passes with defenders all over him. I can't recall Hudson doing that and the one instance I can think of where he didn't come down with a ball when defended was last night in the endzone when I thought Griffin put the ball right on him with a guy covering him and he didn't come down with it. So it is possible that when Hudson plays against NFL starters it is enough to minimize his affect on the game. He is not even a remotely reasonable replacement for Auclair. They essentially play a different position.

44 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

One difference between Brate and Hudson is that I've seen Brate catch passes with defenders all over him. I can't recall Hudson doing that and the one instance I can think of where he didn't come down with a ball when defended was last night in the endzone when I thought Griffin put the ball right on him with a guy covering him and he didn't come down with it. So it is possible that when Hudson plays against NFL starters it is enough to minimize his affect on the game. He is not even a remotely reasonable replacement for Auclair. They essentially play a different position.

I agree with this.....you can't replace Auclair with Hudson …...Auclair is our Blocking TE /Fullback....we have no Full backs.....and Brate is a tough SOB where as Hudson is not.....

3 hours ago, Tundra said:

Last week Arians was negative on him for his two penalties on special teams. Yesterday Arians was negative on him for failing to block, so I'm thinking the dude will be a ex-Buc. He and Griffin will probably become Falcons and haunt the shit out of us. 

The play that Arians referenced as Hudson missing the block on 3rd and 1 was the same play I thought and Ronde thought should have been checked out of because the Fins completely sold out on the run. If Hudson missed his block, so did a bunch of other guys. So this may be Arians way of just not praising the guy too much at this point.

2 hours ago, jobuc597 said:

I agree with this.....you can't replace Auclair with Hudson …...Auclair is our Blocking TE /Fullback....we have no Full backs.....and Brate is a tough SOB where as Hudson is not.....

Before we go too far down a road not necessary, Brate will catch the ball in traffic. We know that because he's done it. However he also can't block as an inline guy and the reason the Bucs were going to draft an inline TE when they drafted Howard whether they got lucky that Howard was there or there was a different guy in the later rounds. While you can't replace Auclair with Hudson, you also can't replace Auclair with Brate. It's also why, when the Bucs line up at the start of the season in their base 12 personnel, it will probably be Howard and Auclair on the field and not Howard and Brate.

4 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Before we go too far down a road not necessary, Brate will catch the ball in traffic. We know that because he's done it. However he also can't block as an inline guy and the reason the Bucs were going to draft an inline TE when they drafted Howard whether they got lucky that Howard was there or there was a different guy in the later rounds. While you can't replace Auclair with Hudson, you also can't replace Auclair with Brate. It's also why, when the Bucs line up at the start of the season in their base 12 personnel, it will probably be Howard and Auclair on the field and not Howard and Brate.

yep...I never intended that Brate was tough so he could replace Auclair….you said more of what I intended to.....

1 minute ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

You ultimately maybe correct about Auclair last night however I always hesitate to criticize any sort of line play as we don't know the assignments and OL play is a function of synchronization and all it takes is for one breakdown to make it appear that others are breaking down as well.

Bunnycock :facepalm