Sign in to follow this  
Pirate

I miss Ricky Bell

If you're old enough to have been around during the birth of the Bucs, there's a difference between how horrible they were back in the day and how snake bitten they are now. I am convinced that their struggles over the past decade plus are due to bad karma from the way the Glazers gutted the team. 

But as we know, the Bucs have been worse.... far worse.  The 1976 team put on the worst performance of any NFL team in history. In the second season they weren't much better. But they came by their ineptitude honestly, and even in those ugly creamsicle uniforms, they were easy to love, like a three-legged puppy.

So I was a big fan of Ricky Bell, and if you're too young to have known what the Bucs were about back then, it's worth looking up some highlights. He was a big, steady, old school running back but he had some moves.  And apparently he was just a sweetheart off the field. Unfortunately he ended up dying in 1984 from a weird disease with an unpronounceable name. I don't know why God seems to take so many of the good ones before their time. 

Anyway, this morning I was in the car and an old novelty dance song came on from 1967 called "Tighten Up". (I'm really not an old fogey. I listen to Volbeat and Khalid too... :) ) anyway, anyway, for some reason I was interested enough to Google the artist, Archie Bell and the Drells. Turns out Archie was the brother of Ricky, and those who were the brothers of Jerry Bell, who was the lead vocalist with the Dazz Band and a world karate champion. 

Don't know exactly why I took the time to post this, except I'm just amazed at how some families have such prolific talent, and because as hard as it was to be a Bucs fan back in the day and hear all the derision from the fans of pretty much every other team, I kind of miss those days.  I cared about the Bucs then. ...

RIP Ricky-- 

54 minutes ago, Pirate said:

If you're old enough to have been around during the birth of the Bucs, there's a difference between how horrible they were back in the day and how snake bitten they are now. I am convinced that their struggles over the past decade plus are due to bad karma from the way the Glazers gutted the team. 

But as we know, the Bucs have been worse.... far worse.  The 1976 team put on the worst performance of any NFL team in history. In the second season they weren't much better. But they came by their ineptitude honestly, and even in those ugly creamsicle uniforms, they were easy to love, like a three-legged puppy.

So I was a big fan of Ricky Bell, and if you're too young to have known what the Bucs were about back then, it's worth looking up some highlights. He was a big, steady, old school running back but he had some moves.  And apparently he was just a sweetheart off the field. Unfortunately he ended up dying in 1984 from a weird disease with an unpronounceable name. I don't know why God seems to take so many of the good ones before their time. 

Anyway, this morning I was in the car and an old novelty dance song came on from 1967 called "Tighten Up". (I'm really not an old fogey. I listen to Volbeat and Khalid too... :) ) anyway, anyway, for some reason I was interested enough to Google the artist, Archie Bell and the Drells. Turns out Archie was the brother of Ricky, and those who were the brothers of Jerry Bell, who was the lead vocalist with the Dazz Band and a world karate champion. 

Don't know exactly why I took the time to post this, except I'm just amazed at how some families have such prolific talent, and because as hard as it was to be a Bucs fan back in the day and hear all the derision from the fans of pretty much every other team, I kind of miss those days.  I cared about the Bucs then. ...

RIP Ricky-- 

Check this out, Pirate. 

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

Watch the little bit of that and skipped around. I'm not only nostalgic for the creamsicle right now, but announcers like Stockton and Madden, well, at least before Madden became a parody of himself.

I believe it was Bell’s most prolific day as a Buccaneer. The OL was also very dominant, and were they not decimated by injuries later in the season, I believe they would have defeated the Rams and made it to the SB. 

1979 is the year I was finally able to rub it in on people who made fun of my liking the Buccaneers. I did not get to see too many games back then, but it was fun going to school on most Mondays that year.