Sign in to follow this  
Tundra

Who the Hell is this #83, Schnell?

Damn that dude balled out at the end. I mean clutch tough catches, getting out of bounds, where did he come from and why haven't I read anything about him?  

Not since Paris Warren have we seen a scrub make such an impact in a meaningless preseason game. Maybe this means he'll break his leg in the 4th quarter of the last preseason game.  But anyway, I was impressed with what he did and even more by how he went about doing it. Bravo, Schnell! 

BA and Jizzson Lorcht are going to have a tough time, again, deciding who are receivers 5 and 6.  Miller injured himself beating off which was stupid, Watson made some plays but also missed some plays.  Bobo looks like he knows what he's doing. Anthony Johnson, there were others -- I mean what, there are like 12 or 46 WRs on the roster?!   Looks like they  can all  play but nobody showed better than Schnell. I'm cheering for the dude, that was fucking awesome. 

Schnell is Adam Humphries-esq. In fact, he looked better than Humphries did during his first preseason.

As to the WRs in general, Watson's got a lot of talent but he missed some balls which I think the staff would say he's got to come down with. Bobo just does nothing which stands out to me. He's not bad,  he's just not good. He's Freddie Martino-ish. Anthony Johnson looks good and I was surprised he was in there as early as he was. That's a good sign for him. Schnell playing as late as he was is an indicator of where he is on the depth chart as a WR however they have him returning punts which will help him. If Miller gets healthy, Schnell is probably a PS guy.

Evans, Godwin, Perriman, Watson and whoever the PR is likely make up the WR group. That could be Bobo, Schnell, or Miller. With receiving TEs Brate and Hudson on the roster, I don't think they keep more than 5 WRs. They'll keep a couple on the PS.

2 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Schnell is Adam Humphries-esq. In fact, he looked better than Humphries did during his first preseason.

As to the WRs in general, Watson's got a lot of talent but he missed some balls which I think the staff would say he's got to come down with. Bobo just does nothing which stands out to me. He's not bad,  he's just not good. He's Freddie Martino-ish. Anthony Johnson looks good and I was surprised he was in there as early as he was. That's a good sign for him. Schnell playing as late as he was is an indicator of where he is on the depth chart as a WR however they have him returning punts which will help him. If Miller gets healthy, Schnell is probably a PS guy.

Evans, Godwin, Perriman, Watson and whoever the PR is likely make up the WR group. That could be Bobo, Schnell, or Miller. With receiving TEs Brate and Hudson on the roster, I don't think they keep more than 5 WRs. They'll keep a couple on the PS.

Can Hudson block? If so I would wave goodbye to the frog, E'Claire.  

2 hours ago, Seafarer said:

I'm looking forward to see him in action this Friday. A repeat should lock him in for sure

Hope so Seafarer, I'll definitely be looking for him and hopefully he is on the field earlier, maybe even with Goobert. Can he catch a laser? Because Griff, god love him, can't throw a laser. 

Right now it's Evans, Godwin, Perriman and I think Watson's probably got a pretty good hold on the 4th spot. After that there's Bobo amongst guys who've been around and I don't think he does anything all that well but he's also not going to kill the team by putting him on the field plus he can return even if he's not great at it.

If Miller's healthy, he can line up both inside and out which really helps a 5th or 6th receiver. I'm not sure about his ability to return kicks or play STs. He's pretty light to do anything other than return. Schnell is a slot guy only but apparently can return.

Then there are guys such as Lodge and Anthony Johnson both of whom played much earlier than Schnell this past Friday. It will be interesting to see if Schnell plays earlier this week. That would be an indicator that the coaching staff is seriously considering him. If not, I doubt they are. They have to find out if he can gain separation vs. NFL caliber DBs.

So Schnell is dependent upon how many WRs are kept with the possibility the Bucs could keep 4 TEs especially if they don't want to lose Hudson who they have to think can be Brate's replacement next season at this point. That may mean only 5 WRs are kept. Then there is Miller's health and positional flexibility. Then there is where the coaching staff feels they need the #5 guy the most. Watson and Perriman can play inside and outside. Lodge and Johnson are outside guys. Schnell inside guys. With all this said, it could end up being Bobo as well.

So I think Schnell has to have a lot of these circumstances and decisions go in his direction and a lot of it may be out of his control no matter how well he plays.

2 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

So I think Schnell has to have a lot of these circumstances and decisions go in his direction and a lot of it may be out of his control no matter how well he plays.

No doubt GSS. Excellent analysis.  It will be fascinating indeed to see if he gets on the field before the 4th quarter.  At least have a look at him against 2nd string DBs playing something besides soft zone. 

Arians called him "Schnellie" so at least the HC knows him well enough to give him a kind of nickname. 

Maybe they can sneak him onto the practice squad.  

Auman offered two theories on Schnell's lack of snaps. The first is "they may be hiding him so they can stick him on the PS". The other is that Arians' offense requires the slot receiver to be an effective blocker. Schnell's pretty small and that can work against him. WR analysis often goes way beyond what the fans pay most attention to during a game and involves what happens on every play rather than the couple of passes thrown a WRs way each game. Right route, running route with conviction, blocking and blocking the right guy were all requirements for the WR my son was in in college and that was before they'd even consider putting them on the field in a game and tossing one their way. Most of this stuff we don't see.