Sign in to follow this  
Gulf Shore Steve

Winston article by Bassinger

He actually attempts to do an analysis, of which the conclusion I would agree with, instead of of using the more important aspects of Winston such as pre-game speeches, what university he attended and tee shots off his head.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/05/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-quarterback-jameis-winston-passing-stats-haters-are-wrong-and-so-are-the-fanboys/

That's a pretty good analysis. He's been erratic ('high variance" :groucho) and the best he could have done would have been to make the team mediocre.

How cool it is to getting paid to write the Bucs have sucked and the franchise QB ain't one. But I still enjoy noting what a loveable goofball he comes off as, and doing it pro bono.

So he might be a Joe Namath if he played for a legitimate NFL team? (He's been known for trying to get into women's nylons and other offbeat things.) Then maybe If these new guys can make a difference we'll enjoy that mediocre season this year.

Winston 2019!

Add to it the following -- Winston knows his team. He knows his defense sucks the chrome off a trailer hitch.  He has surely been pressing to get more.  

No way Winston feels even mildly OK after a game like the Falcons game to end the 2018 season.  I was at that game. He played nearly flawless football, as well as any QB can play. Staked his defense to a three score lead. It wasn't enough. Came back from two scores down to take the lead late in the game. His defense choked on the dick even though it was tiny and flaccid. 

If there were to be another game in 2018, if that had not been the finale -- I'm betting on him coming out and trying to do to much because in his analysis, the previous week even though he posted one of the best games of the season for any QB, it wasn't enough. 

In 2016, Winston suddenly had a defense (not much of a running game though) -- he cut down dramatically on turnovers and often played as a game manager. 9-7.  Give the poor bastard a real NFL defense and a kicker, and we have a winner. Add a real NFL caliber running game to it and we have a playoff team. 

Line up all of your avatars and blow me. 

1 hour ago, bucs63 said:

That poor bastard 63 that was in my avatar is dead. So I put back the real photo of me that I had used some years ago. I'm still hot. And wet. Everywhere. 

You always had the best tits on bucschat.

It's easy to overanalyze the stats, and frankly it's hard to say because defenses might play us soft or not give 100% if they are about to win, have a solid lead, or simply know they are playing the Bucs.  Then this past season we were loaded at WR, so he might have had inflated numbers due to that.  We've just go to see what he does this season.  If he was a franchise level QB, he would have looked like Fitzmagic (the good Fitz) when he took over as QB.  We at least would have seen a glimpse.  I agree that he isn't bad, but he hasn't been great either.

7 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

It's easy to overanalyze the stats, and frankly it's hard to say because defenses might play us soft or not give 100% if they are about to win, have a solid lead, or simply know they are playing the Bucs.  Then this past season we were loaded at WR, so he might have had inflated numbers due to that.  We've just go to see what he does this season.  If he was a franchise level QB, he would have looked like Fitzmagic (the good Fitz) when he took over as QB.  We at least would have seen a glimpse.  I agree that he isn't bad, but he hasn't been great either.

Careful..the resident Winston slurpers will take that solid thought as you bashing Jaboo because perhaps you don't like the school he attended 4 years ago.

10 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

That's kind of what the article said.

21 hours ago, bucs63 said:

That's a pretty good analysis. He's been erratic ('high variance" :groucho) and the best he could have done would have been to make the team mediocre.

'High variance'.  If you had to describe Winston in two words, those would be the words of choice.

Year five is when it kicked in for many of the great QBs to to whom Winston’s stats have been compared.   This is obviously his make or break year.  Koetter was conflict averse,   passive aggressive.

Arians is as type A old school as they come, and along with Clod and Boron, he’ll have a ton of coaching in his head if he continues to make the ill-timed dumbfuck play.  Which is another potential problem of course. 

By all accounts, he knows what the reads are and knows what to do and not do, consciously.  He has to overcome the hero reflex, made worse by historically bad defense. 

Again, look at 2016. Decent defense during the five game win streak and he played like a high level veteran quarterback.  

Todd’s Bowel has an enormous fecal tidal wave to harness to get even mediocre results from those clowns, so Jameis will be tempted by his nature to do too much. 

Can BA along with Clod and Boron help Jameis in the head? 

Arians and Leftwich have already said Winston's decision making is less of a problem than his accuracy. Accuracy not only in completing passes but where the ball is placed within those completions. For instance, a slant to Mike Evans which if thrown at the numbers would be a 15-20 yard gain is thrown at his knees which forces Mike to reach down to catch the ball which he does but then falls because he's reaching to catch and plant and go all at the same time because the ball is off target. Result is a 5 yard gain.

34 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Arians and Leftwich have already said Winston's decision making is less of a problem than his accuracy. Accuracy not only in completing passes but where the ball is placed within those completions. For instance, a slant to Mike Evans which if thrown at the numbers would be a 15-20 yard gain is thrown at his knees which forces Mike to reach down to catch the ball which he does but then falls because he's reaching to catch and plant and go all at the same time because the ball is off target. Result is a 5 yard gain.

Clearly it's both and if you're going to publicly go on record about your starting quarterback, discussing physical flaws relative to accuracy won't be as stressful to the player as describing said player as a head case. 

Even his accuracy issues still go back to a mental reflex that pushes him to get rid of the ball however he's set versus setting stepping and throwing.  And that did seem to be an Arians observation concerning Jameis feet. Then on the deep balls, Arians said Jameis looks off the safety too long -- a mental thing. 

9 minutes ago, Tundra said:

Clearly it's both and if you're going to publicly go on record about your starting quarterback, discussing physical flaws relative to accuracy won't be as stressful to the player as describing said player as a head case. 

I don't agree mainly because I think accuracy issues are harder to fix than decision making nor do I think a decision making issue is interpreted as being a head case.

11 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I don't agree mainly because I think accuracy issues are harder to fix than decision making nor do I think a decision making issue is interpreted as being a head case.

Fair enough. 

We both agree we want him to play better and more consistently -- and I hope that the massive coaching staff doesn't pull him in opposite directions and give him too much coaching.  As huge organizations are prone to do. 

What I'd like to happen is that he plays well enough that there's no doubt, other than to fans of the Gator football program, that he's the guy for the future. Or that he throws 40 interceptions and fumbles 3 or 4 times a game forcing the Bucs to address the position either in the draft or bringing in an otherwise established QB.

What will probably happen is we may see slight improvement. He'll still miss guys downfield who are wide open. Short passes will continue to gain 6 yards over the 15 they gain with other QBs and he'll throw some unbelievable passes on the intermediate routes. Game situations will cut down on the monumental errors and the defense will play better enough to win a few more games. This will make him a middle of the pack QB earning a high middle of the pack salary. The same stupid debates will continue on him moving forward.

15 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

What will probably happen is we may see slight improvement. He'll still miss guys downfield who are wide open. Short passes will continue to gain 6 yards over the 15 they gain with other QBs and he'll throw some unbelievable passes on the intermediate routes. Game situations will cut down on the monumental errors and the defense will play better enough to win a few more games. This will make him a middle of the pack QB earning a high middle of the pack salary. The same stupid debates will continue on him moving forward.

Sure, ...if you look through those pewter colored glasses you can see improvement and the Bucs winning a few more games. :cool:

On 5/10/2019 at 12:02 PM, Gulf Shore Steve said:

He actually attempts to do an analysis, of which the conclusion I would agree with, instead of of using the more important aspects of Winston such as pre-game speeches, what university he attended and tee shots off his head.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/05/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-quarterback-jameis-winston-passing-stats-haters-are-wrong-and-so-are-the-fanboys/

Analysis is irrelevant when it comes to the starting QB. He's only as good as the school he attended. Hearing that Felipe Franks is high on the most informed's draft board.

3 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Analysis is irrelevant when it comes to the starting QB. He's only as good as the school he attended. Hearing that Felipe Franks is high on the most informed's draft board.

Hey man, you know you're my good firend, but I'm not sure I understand the Gator fan hating Jameis thing.  I'm a Gator, UF grad, 1976-1981, The Doug Dickey - Charlie Pell years. The 1977  or 1978 Gators sent 11 players to the NFL, obviously loaded -- LOADED -- with talent and the team could only muster 6-4-1 and 4-7.    Mercifully Dickless was fired, Charlie Pell was hired and they went winless in 1979.  I mean, I follow the shit out of the Gators. But I didn;t want them to draft Hargreaves and I am in Winston's corner (poor bastard--that's KoD right there).   But he has done plenty to create his doubters as well as those like me who see much more upside.  Those that see more downside do have their points, there's no hiding from his flaws.  I see both sides. 

Anyway, just wanted to point that out, brother. 

29 minutes ago, Tundra said:

Hey man, you know you're my good firend, but I'm not sure I understand the Gator fan hating Jameis thing.  I'm a Gator, UF grad, 1976-1981, The Doug Dickey - Charlie Pell years. The 1977  or 1978 Gators sent 11 players to the NFL, obviously loaded -- LOADED -- with talent and the team could only muster 6-4-1 and 4-7.    Mercifully Dickless was fired, Charlie Pell was hired and they went winless in 1979.  I mean, I follow the shit out of the Gators. But I didn;t want them to draft Hargreaves and I am in Winston's corner (poor bastard--that's KoD right there).   But he has done plenty to create his doubters as well as those like me who see much more upside.  Those that see more downside do have their points, there's no hiding from his flaws.  I see both sides. 

Anyway, just wanted to point that out, brother. 

Oh, for sure buddy. And that post isn't directed at you. I know your Gator pedigree. Doesn't cloud your judgment though when evaluating certain players on the team.