Sign in to follow this  
rook

Bucs pick up Hargreaves option.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26598949/bucs-pick-option-cb-hargreaves

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are picking up the fifth-year option on cornerback Vernon Hargreaves, the team announced Wednesday night. It will keep him with the club through 2020 and earn him $9 million.

The deadline to pick up fifth-year options for 2016 NFL draft picks is May 3. Hargreaves was the 11th overall pick that year and the third cornerback selected, behind Jalen Ramsey and Eli Apple.

Editor's Picks

Though injuries have limited Hargreaves to 10 games over the past two seasons, and he struggled playing off-coverage under former defensive coordinator Mike Smith, new head coach Bruce Arians has expressed confidence in his potential in Todd Bowles' scheme, which will allow Hargreaves to return to his preference of press-man coverage.

"I think Vernon has all the talent in the world, he works hard, is smart," Arians said at last month's owners meetings, pointing to injuries as a culprit for some of Hargreaves' stumbles. "Why can't he be successful? He's just gotta stay healthy."

Hargreaves is now the 10th member of the 2016 draft class to have his fifth-year option picked up, along with Jared Goff, Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, Ronnie Stanley, DeForest Buckner, Sheldon Rankins, Laremy Tunsil, Keanu Neal and William Jackson.

10 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Imagine the pitch forks that would come out if Hargreaves wasn't a Gator...

Dude sucks. Doesn't make plays on the ball. Can't stay healthy. A big part of the reason why the Bucs had to target the secondary in 2018 and will probably add another corner in this year's draft. 

He's been injured and as unproductive as McCoy in his first two years. And the beloved McCoy turned out to be a perennial Pro Bowler without even being a Gator. Just imagine the accolades that await the loony laughing little CB!

Good move. He was never a fit for that shit that Mike Idiot had them playing. Press man coverage -- he'll not be a pro bowler but he'll be better than expecyed after twoyears of languishing.  Nothing to do with him being a Gator and for the record, I didn't want him  at 11. 

Hargreaves sucks. Yes, the deal isn't cost prohibitive and there's low risk tied to it. With that said, whenever Hargreaves' name comes up, I can't help but laugh at how the narrative surrounding a player can fluctuate not based on actual production or value but based on where they played college ball. If this kid was a Nole or Cane, he'd be eviscerated on a daily basis.

11 hours ago, Tundra said:

Good move. He was never a fit for that shit that Mike Idiot had them playing. Press man coverage -- he'll not be a pro bowler but he'll be better than expecyed after twoyears of languishing.  Nothing to do with him being a Gator and for the record, I didn't want him  at 11. 

Dunndeal tries real hard to sound like he has clue about what he babbles on about but truth is he really doesnt.

I believe there are a couple gator fans on here and I don't remember any of them saying Hargreaves should be picked. In fact I was one of the few who thought he shouldn't be picked because of him getting beat on deep balls and disagreed with all the experts saying he had great ballskills. So that's the first thing in his little rant that he's wrong about. The other thing is "he sucks".

Hargreaves was completely misused by Mike Smith. He played him in off coverage and backpedaling 20 yards downfield. His strength is playing los.

All this is lost on DD and it's just easier for him to rant about some Gator BS and spout off about how he sucks.

Probably a swell guy in real life but he's a total babbling buffoon when it comes to football..

13 hours ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

I'd like to see what Hargreaves does under the new coaching staff.  The move isn't expensive, and the Bucs don't have a wealth of CB's.

This is a harmless move and gives them a chance to see what's going on - it also means Arians probably likes him.

Unless the coaching staff has the cure for an undersized corner with limited speed and ball skills, I suspect we already know what we're going to get. 

Wuts up with Vernon? Reported for OTA's but was on the sideline. Arians said he needs to get his head right to practice and wouldn't elaborate. 

Of course team leader McCoy is a no show but I'm sure his Water Zoomba and Pracercise training is going well.

1 hour ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Hargreaves is trash. He's always been trash. A slot corner with mediocre measurables. But, you know, once a Gator, always a Gator so the smartest of the most informed will surely have excuses lined up.

Excuses? They should be arranged and numbered for convenience. The Buccaneers Compendium of Calamity would have at least three volumes. One for Player Failure and False Promise.

For Hargreaves I'd say under Vol III, Hargreaves would be excused in PFFP-Sec1, #6, #129, and #2044 so far.

He's likely got a 51 and a possible 313 to be added when he gets shit canned by Arians.

3 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

The issue is apparently physical health related and not an issue of punishment.

I've been trying to find out more -- where did you read that GSS? 

I actually did something I never do, and now I know why. I listened to a Rick Stroud pudcast to see if any more could be gleaned about the Hargreaves being put in the corner with a dunce cap issue.  Holy shit, I've had severe abdominal cramps that were much more enjoyable. There is a reason why these fishwrappers went to writing for a living -- while they may suck at it, they are far worse at pretending to be radio or TV guys. Welcome to the world of selfies. Fuck me. 

In any event, after ten minutes or so of listening to incoherent dick pudding splattering my ears, the Stroudster had nothing more to add to the mystery. There's 10 years off my life right there. 

Fuckn Sucs. 

1 minute ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Not read.

Passed to me. Basically he's not comfortable that he's completely healthy and Arians wants him completely healthy.

If that's the case then he is far more of a soft pussy than even I thought. Great. 

Fuck him with Jim Macilweenie's dick. 

It's not a mystery as to what happened. "The coach wants him to practice and Vernon says he's not healthy enough to practice". Exactly what was said to me in response to "what happened with Vernon?"

It wasn't punishment, being held out of practice or discipline.

The fishwraps need my sources except that they'd have to move in with me which would lead to me murdering one or more of them.

5 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

It's not a mystery as to what happened. "The coach wants him to practice and Vernon says he's not healthy enough to practice". Exactly what was said to me in response to "what happened with Vernon?"

It wasn't punishment, being held out of practice or discipline.

The fishwraps need my sources except that they'd have to move in with me which would lead to me murdering one or more of them.

This is confusing because he said he was healthy a week or two ago. 

Fuck him. Hope the rookies take his spot.