Sign in to follow this  
Dunn_Deal28

McCoy...

I think Arians is headed down the road of handling this situation....using a word used elsewhere....horrendously.

My guess is that the Bucs are confident they can draft a DT at 5 who can replace McCoy over the same confidence of drafting an OLB to replace JPP.  If the plan has been to release McCoy and I doubt this is anything new which suddenly dawned on Licht or Arians, my guess is that he's gone prior to reporting date of April 1st.

41 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I think Arians is headed down the road of handling this situation....using a word used elsewhere....horrendously.

My guess is that the Bucs are confident they can draft a DT at 5 who can replace McCoy over the same confidence of drafting an OLB to replace JPP.  If the plan has been to release McCoy and I doubt this is anything new which suddenly dawned on Licht or Arians, my guess is that he's gone prior to reporting date of April 1st.

No way they'd work a deal as good as that one they made for Jackson. Lookin like a freebie for some lucky team? 😀

7 hours ago, Regulator16 said:

Why now? Why not 3 weeks ago? 

I'd love to see Williams here in place of Gerald...but doubt he's there at 5. 

Just seems like an odd time to release him. Hope it's be a trade.

I can't imagine he has much/any trade value with that contract. He's just not worth that much money. 

It is clear that the new regime is willing to risk public humiliation of GMC and reducing his market value so he will come in and agrees to cut his salary in half or so.  The Lorcht argument will be, no one else will sign you at 31 for $13million a year. So why not stay with your homiies and retire a Buc? 

And if I’m GMC I say Fuck you, Larry, and I’ll take my chances at 25% of what you dildos are paying me to play for an actual contender. 

1. How the hell do we only have 2 million in cap space after the talent we let go?
2. Coach isn't in rebuild mode, but we're a 5 win team that let go of 2 very talented WRs, 1 very talented LB, and probably McCoy.
3. I've got no issues letting McCoy go, but would have liked to see us keep one of the FAs we lost.
4. I don't think the Patriots would touch McCoy unless he was cheap.

3 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

1. How the hell do we only have 2 million in cap space after the talent we let go?
2. Coach isn't in rebuild mode, but we're a 5 win team that let go of 2 very talented WRs, 1 very talented LB, and probably McCoy.
3. I've got no issues letting McCoy go, but would have liked to see us keep one of the FAs we lost.
4. I don't think the Patriots would touch McCoy unless he was cheap.

If the Bucs wanted cap space to sign some of the guys let go, they can do it. An edge rusher could be signed to replace JPP and probably reduce the cap hit from the position for 2019 although it would hurt longer term. The Bucs WRs, even letting go Hump and DJax still combine to earn the 3rd or 4th highest in the league as a position group. The reason? Mike Evans contract which pays him $20mil. That deal can be reworked if necessary.  The QB is paid too much money for what the Bucs get out of him. That needs to change one way or the other.   McCoy's replacement can be drafted and the cost will be cut to about a 3rd of what the current cap cost will be. The Bucs pay virtually nothing to their RBs and DBs and a lot of the cap is tied up in the OL (Smith, Jenson and Marpet) of which they only get solid performance from one of them.

So some guys are paid disproportionate to their play which all teams have but the Bucs have a major one in Winston. Some guys can have their cap value lowered by either restructuring the deal or releasing/trading but there's no reason to make moves like that until there's a guy who the team wants to sign or trade for in hand. Right now a move needs to be made to clear space to sign the rookies. That's probably where McCoy comes in.

Bottom line is that, if the Bucs wanted to sign players, they could have and they can. They want to use 2019 as an evaluation/roster adjustment year no matter what the straight talker wishes to bullshit his followers with.

Are they playing a game of chicken with McCoy to get him to reduce his salary to stay on the roster? It would have been better to cut McCoy and use the money to save Hump. He still counts against the cap at that amount until he is traded or cut. Simeon Rice was given a chance to stay with the Bucs in 2007 as a glorified trainer/coach for Gaines Adams if he would take a reduction in salary (7 million?). He refused and was cut. He got a decent one year deal from the Broncos but it was not as much as he would have made with the Bucs. Rice's shoulder had not healed. He was bad with the Broncos and the Colts who picked him up after the Broncos let him go. He became toxic around the NFL and no one gave him a chance. I believe he cost himself a Hall of Fame position. Jason Taylor was a damn good DE but I would have taken a healthy Simeon Rice over Taylor any day of the week. Taylor made the HF the first year on the ballot as he was a popular guy.

1 hour ago, rook said:

Are they playing a game of chicken with McCoy to get him to reduce his salary to stay on the roster? It would have been better to cut McCoy and use the money to save Hump. He still counts against the cap at that amount until he is traded or cut. Simeon Rice was given a chance to stay with the Bucs in 2007 as a glorified trainer/coach for Gaines Adams if he would take a reduction in salary (7 million?). He refused and was cut. He got a decent one year deal from the Broncos but it was not as much as he would have made with the Bucs. Rice's shoulder had not healed. He was bad with the Broncos and the Colts who picked him up after the Broncos let him go. He became toxic around the NFL and no one gave him a chance. I believe he cost himself a Hall of Fame position. Jason Taylor was a damn good DE but I would have taken a healthy Simeon Rice over Taylor any day of the week. Taylor made the HF the first year on the ballot as he was a popular guy.

Loved Hump..but the Bucs paying a slot that doesn’t fit BAs offense, would’ve been dumb.

5 hours ago, rook said:

Hump is likely a 2 year 20 million dollar deal although the last two years is cheaper than the first 2 years. It might be cheaper to keep him all 4 years esp as salaries escalate.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/3/12/18261830/adam-humphries-contract-breakdown-titans

Titans would take a $5mil cap hit if he's cut after the 2nd year.  Some teams do it but most don't. Bucs typically don't structure contracts in this fashion.

Hump was not a guy the Bucs could sign.