Sign in to follow this  
tfree32

Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, or Justin Houston

We could cut McCoy with no cap hit and use the money to sign either Suh or Houston. I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’m a Suh fan, but he seems to be on the downside of his career. He’s good but not great and incredibly durable. But he’s not as dominant as he was and may be on autopilot and collecting checks at this point. I’d prefer we sign Houston at this point. He’s got a lot left in the tank and would be a monster coming off the edge. So cut McCoy and use the money to sign Houston to a 2-3 year deal. 

You don’t cut McCoy. You at least get value for him. If Lorcht can get a 6th fo Cancer DuhJackoffson, Lorcht can do better for McCoy. But for this year given the Bucs situation, you keep McCoy and draft his replacement and get edge help between rounds 1 and 3, with LB help in there also.  

18 minutes ago, Tundra said:

You don’t cut McCoy. You at least get value for him. If Lorcht can get a 6th fo Cancer DuhJackoffson, Lorcht can do better for McCoy. But for this year given the Bucs situation, you keep McCoy and draft his replacement and get edge help between rounds 1 and 3, with LB help in there also.  

Then trade McCoy. I don't care. I just can't understand paying him $13 million to be mediocre and provide no leadership for another year. 

I would far rather have Houston bringing pressure off the edge and then draft McCoy's replacement. 

50 minutes ago, Tundra said:

You realize there's more to this story than the player value with tfree.

In a general sense, I wouldn't sign Justin Houston. He may still be an effective player but he also may not and I just don't think the Bucs are a year away from contending. The Bucs also just signed Shaq Barrett who's likely to start and is being paid too much to back anyone up. If Houston were signed they'd have two players who play the same position and another who's effectiveness will be significantly affected in JPP who's being paid $15mil per year to be so. I'd bet the Bucs are currently gauging trade value for both McCoy and JPP at the moment. If their replacement is drafted (unlikely that high in JPPs case), then they can be traded.

6 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

You aren’t going to replace McCoy “with someone better” at this point. 

If they draft Williams at 5, then I could see them moving on from McCoy. But Williams most likely goes in the top 4, and the Bucs will end up with an edge rusher or LBer at 5, or after a trade down. 

Right now, it makes little sense to be actively trying to move McCoy and not, at the very least, be doing the same with JPP. JPP takes up more of the cap and fits the defense the Bucs will run poorly while McCoy fits it perfectly.  The Bucs have signed an Edge OLB in Barrett and paying him enough to not have him on the roster as a backup. At this juncture, I think Devin White is the Bucs choice unless Josh Allen falls to them.

59 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Right now, it makes little sense to be actively trying to move McCoy and not, at the very least, be doing the same with JPP. JPP takes up more of the cap and fits the defense the Bucs will run poorly while McCoy fits it perfectly.  The Bucs have signed an Edge OLB in Barrett and paying him enough to not have him on the roster as a backup. At this juncture, I think Devin White is the Bucs choice unless Josh Allen falls to them.

I disagree regarding JPP.

I think he’s more versatile then you’re giving him credit for and if what Bowles and Arians have been saying is true, then they should find a way to get their best defensive player involved in the scheme. Even at his age, he’s still an athletic freak. 

See QB...go get QB on the ground. 

11 minutes ago, fanofdabucs said:

I think he’s more versatile then you’re giving him credit for and if what Bowles and Arians have been saying is true, then they should find a way to get their best defensive player involved in the scheme. Even at his age, he’s still an athletic freak. 

Agree with fanof. Let’s stop trying to run off our most impactful defensive player.  Bowels and BA will find the best way to maximize his talent and leadership. I’ll take good demonstrated capability over a roll of the dice every time. 

8 minutes ago, Tundra said:

Agree with fanof. Let’s stop trying to run off our most impactful defensive player.  Bowels and BA will find the best way to maximize his talent and leadership. I’ll take good demonstrated capability over a roll of the dice every time. 

Yep..he might not be the perfect fit for Bowles scheme but he can beat an OT and get to the QB. 

1 hour ago, fanofdabucs said:

Unfortunately he would and will limit options for Bowles defense because of the lack of coverage skills required for the position he will play in Bowles defense. This combined with the price tag make him a poor fit for the Bucs. Football is all about fits and matchups.

2 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Unfortunately he would and will limit options for Bowles defense because of the lack of coverage skills required for the position he will play in Bowles defense. This combined with the price tag make him a poor fit for the Bucs. Football is all about fits and matchups.

Looking back at Bowles defenses in Arizona and NY, he played a lot of different fronts and brought pressure from different spots. 

He also utilized the defensive lineman he had and seemed move them around a bit. 

I don’t think because JPP can’t run down the seem with a TE or cover backs on wheel routes that it will limit him i this defense. I think he can drop into space when asked and is athletic enough to play more than one spot in Bowles defense.

We shall see..

Arians was adamant that they will play a mix of 3-4, 4-3, and it won’t look that different anyway one to the next —. but 70% of the time it’s nickel so either 3-3-5 or 4-2-5.  Then Arians said they’ll play the scheme that their players can play best in. 

JPP ain’t going anywhere. Book it wangs. 

Yeah, I don't think Pierre-Paul's getting released. At least not this off-season. The 2019 defense is going to be a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3. Some different looks and they'll have a spot for JPP. I'm expecting a bit of a dumpster fire on that side of the ball, though. New scheme (again). Not enough talent (again). And a weird mix of players - an island of misfit toys. 

2 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Yeah, I don't think Pierre-Paul's getting released. At least not this off-season. The 2019 defense is going to be a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3. Some different looks and they'll have a spot for JPP. I'm expecting a bit of a dumpster fire on that side of the ball, though. New scheme (again). Not enough talent (again). And a weird mix of players - an island of misfit toys. 

It won’t be any worse than the last two years though. No way. At least the scrubs playing defense will be forced to demonstrate they understand their assignments, and if not, as BA has already said, “Then either you don’t give a shit or you’re too stupid to play here. Alright, so you’re not a Buc.”   That is the most beautiful quote of the Arians era so far.