Sign in to follow this  
Boatrunner

While Jason Licht sits around with his thumb up his ass

The Ravens are making their team better with players the Bucs could use.  

Ravens land two top free agents

Pro Bowl safety Earl Thomas and running back Mark Ingram are heading to Baltimore to join the Ravens.  

Although the Ravens didnt sign a kicker/punter so..........

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022405/article/mark-ingram-expected-to-sign-with-baltimore-ravens

42 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

This is the best read on the topic I've come across. The team has been so poorly managed that we completely suck and are completely broke at the same time. How in the hell does Licht still have a job?

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/03/12/only-the-bucs-can-be-bad-and-broke-at-same-time/

I think Fennelly got that theme from reading BucsChat.

I’m not saying overspend. But just a few days ago, the Bucs decided that two more of their generally subpar offensive linemen were worth signing to big deals, as if Licht paying them makes Donovan Smith and Demar Dotson any better.

The overall thought that the Bucs shouldn't be in a situation in which they are bad and broke is a good one. Fennelly's an idiot, always be an idiot and even though his general thought is correct, he still can't write coherently. Demar Dotson was not resigned. His option was picked up. Should the Bucs find another candidate to play RT, then they can release Dotson with no cap hit. Meanwhile, at least they have somebody to stand at RT which they would not without Dotson and his replacement might be more costly. Smith has been beaten to death here and he would absolutely be more costly to replace in the current environment. In addition, last year the Bucs signed Ryan Jensen to a big deal....remember they had the all important cap room... because, oh yeah they let J.R. Sweezy go (a guy they signed to a big contract who was injured and/or didn't play well). Sweezy started for the Seahawks (although was ranked well down the list just above our own cock) while Jensen was uniformally miserable for the Bucs. Thank goodness they had the cap room and made the signing here Martin. Right?

They have now freed up $10 million by trading Jackson, but they could and should have shed him last season, for maybe a third-round pick from a playoff contender that needed a speed receiver, like Houston or, hey, the Eagles.

Assumption and not a good one since the word was that they Bucs were trying to trade him last season.

Last season was the time. Everybody that made money should have been gone, Jackson, Gerald McCoy, Jason Pierre-Paul. McCoy is a good man, a good player, a good draft pick. How many playoff seasons has he had with the Bucs again?

Ok Martin, you've cut the two of them. You want an edge rusher and a 3 Tech. How much is that going to cost the team and how much better will the team be by making a switch? I'll await your answers.

The Bucs will miss Alexander more than Humphries. But they couldn’t keep Alexander,

Martin...you're a clueless nitwit or maybe too many Bucs fans are. What got it into the heads of Bucs fans that Alexander was some level of irreplaceable? He was a decent Mike. That's all. Now it's true that, at the moment, they don't have a starting ILB to play in Bowles defense where Kwon probably was a mismatch for anyway but there will be opportunity in the draft to do so which will (get this) keep the salary cap hit on Alexander of over $10mil (or whatever the fuck it is) to whatever the rookie cap price is and...get this again....there won't be much of a cap hit the next 3 or 4 seasons either. That's how it works.

Humphries on the other hand is a good player but he is currently the 4th or 5th receiving option on the team behind Evans, Godwin, Howard and Brate in the Red Zone. Some fans will miss him but he's getting #2 receiving money in an offense which has other options and that would be even if Brate is traded. There is a lot of logic to letting Humphries walk even with plenty of cap room available. He apparently was offered a deal last year and didn't take it to cash in. He cashed in. Good luck Adam. You should have gone to the Patriots.

We haven’t even gotten to the elephant in the Uber in the room, that Winston might stink anyway.

This might be the one legitimate point Fennelly made in the article and the one which has tfree in love with it. He's right about this. The entire off season thought process of the Bucs I would not have undergone and would have started with something completely different such as moving on from Winston and drafting Haskins who is a guy I think will be really good. However there are no guarantees that the player would have been there to draft so you have to take what you can get and none of the available options was any better. Nor are there any guarantees that Winston will be any better under a different coach or if he can stay out of hot water.

However since the Glazers went for the splash hire and the team is supposedly more in "win now" mode because of Arians (a notion I think is a lot of shit),  we're kind of in this situation we're in.

So you're still an idiot even when the general point is one which has merit.

40 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

This is the best read on the topic I've come across. The team has been so poorly managed that we completely suck and are completely broke at the same time. How in the hell does Licht still have a job?

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/03/12/only-the-bucs-can-be-bad-and-broke-at-same-time/

Not defending Licht, but there's no such thing as a good read from Martin Fennelly.  The man is a click-bait whore with zero real insight.

25 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

The overall thought that the Bucs shouldn't be in a situation in which they are bad and broke is a good one. Fennelly's an idiot, always be an idiot and even though his general thought is correct, he still can't write coherently. Demar Dotson was not resigned. His option was picked up. Should the Bucs find another candidate to play RT, then they can release Dotson with no cap hit. Meanwhile, at least they have somebody to stand at RT which they would not without Dotson and his replacement might be more costly. Smith has been beaten to death here and he would absolutely be more costly to replace in the current environment. In addition, last year the Bucs signed Ryan Jensen to a big deal....remember they had the all important cap room... because, oh yeah they let J.R. Sweezy go (a guy they signed to a big contract who was injured and/or didn't play well). Sweezy started for the Seahawks (although was ranked well down the list just above our own cock) while Jensen was uniformally miserable for the Bucs. Thank goodness they had the cap room and made the signing here Martin. Right?

Assumption and not a good one since the word was that they Bucs were trying to trade him last season.

Ok Martin, you've cut the two of them. You want an edge rusher and a 3 Tech. How much is that going to cost the team and how much better will the team be by making a switch? I'll await your answers.

Martin...you're a clueless nitwit or maybe too many Bucs fans are. What got it into the heads of Bucs fans that Alexander was some level of irreplaceable? He was a decent Mike. That's all. Now it's true that, at the moment, they don't have a starting ILB to play in Bowles defense where Kwon probably was a mismatch for anyway but there will be opportunity in the draft to do so which will (get this) keep the salary cap hit on Alexander of over $10mil (or whatever the fuck it is) to whatever the rookie cap price is and...get this again....there won't be much of a cap hit the next 3 or 4 seasons either. That's how it works.

Humphries on the other hand is a good player but he is currently the 4th or 5th receiving option on the team behind Evans, Godwin, Howard and Brate in the Red Zone. Some fans will miss him but he's getting #2 receiving money in an offense which has other options and that would be even if Brate is traded. There is a lot of logic to letting Humphries walk even with plenty of cap room available. He apparently was offered a deal last year and didn't take it to cash in. He cashed in. Good luck Adam. You should have gone to the Patriots.

This might be the one legitimate point Fennelly made in the article and the one which has tfree in love with it. He's right about this. The entire off season thought process of the Bucs I would not have undergone and would have started with something completely different such as moving on from Winston and drafting Haskins who is a guy I think will be really good. However there are no guarantees that the player would have been there to draft so you have to take what you can get and none of the available options was any better. Nor are there any guarantees that Winston will be any better under a different coach or if he can stay out of hot water.

However since the Glazers went for the splash hire and the team is supposedly more in "win now" mode because of Arians (a notion I think is a lot of shit),  we're kind of in this situation we're in.

So your still an idiot even when the general point is one which has merit.

The issue is that most teams claim they're drafting and developing those guys rather than swinging for the fences with free agents. But we're so broke, our homegrown talent is leaving in droves. And since we're broke, we have no money to sign free agents to replace them.

We're a shitty team with little talent and less depth. Yet we hired a 66 year old head coach with health issues and are apparently in win-now mode. So what are we planning to win with? veterans like McCoy have proven they aren't the difference-makers we need. Are we seriously banking on Winston suddenly becoming an All-Pro miracle worker who can lead us deep into the playoffs?

The far smarter course of action would be to liquidate assets for draft picks and pursue a full scale rebuild. Swapping out Winston for Haskins or Murray would net draft picks and save the team millions. McCoy likely has trade value. David would probably love to play for a playoff caliber team. At least a full rebuild would show the team has some direction. Muddling along with this crappy roster and expecting we will magically win the division is asinine.

We're going to find out if this team's problem was coaching or the players this year.  I'm excited.  If it was the players, Licht is as good as gone.  If it was the coaching, then Arians will have this team winning more than we're used to.

That the Bucs haven't spent $40m on top free agents this year doesn't bother me very much.  We've been doing that every year since Schiano and look where it's gotten us.

15 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

The issue is that most teams claim they're drafting and developing those guys rather than swinging for the fences with free agents. But we're so broke, our homegrown talent is leaving in droves. And since we're broke, we have no money to sign free agents to replace them.

We're a shitty team with little talent and less depth. Yet we hired a 66 year old head coach with health issues and are apparently in win-now mode. So what are we planning to win with? veterans like McCoy have proven they aren't the difference-makers we need. Are we seriously banking on Winston suddenly becoming an All-Pro miracle worker who can lead us deep into the playoffs?

The far smarter course of action would be to liquidate assets for draft picks and pursue a full scale rebuild. Swapping out Winston for Haskins or Murray would net draft picks and save the team millions. McCoy likely has trade value. David would probably love to play for a playoff caliber team. At least a full rebuild would show the team has some direction. Muddling along with this crappy roster and expecting we will magically win the division is asinine.

That's one picture, the other one whether you agree with it or not says that we have a franchise QB who's been slowed down by coaching, offensive weapons all over the field, a strong front four with McCoy / Vea / Nassib / JPP, the 5th overall pick in the draft and a high pick in each round after, young talent all over the secondary, and for the first time since Gruden, a proven winner leading the whole thing.

I have no idea what to expect this season, but the coaching alone makes it more interesting to me than we've seen in a long time.  We're going to find out if Jameis is what he is, or if he's what he could be with Koetter, because if anyone can take him to the next level it's Arians.

28 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

Another clueless......oops

...my bad...

I actually don't disagree with the Nebraska fan.

5 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

Smarter. That's one way to go. In '87 The Bucs had a promising new coach and 20 picks in the draft. Even with the number one overall and 3 2nd round and 3 4th round picks loading the top and netting memorable names it was 11 years before we saw a winning season.

Is there some moral to the story there? I dun fukin know. But I can't say I was expecting Light to pull the proverbial rabbit out of his ass. 

13 minutes ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

That's one picture, the other one whether you agree with it or not says that we have a franchise QB who's been slowed down by coaching, offensive weapons all over the field, a strong front four with McCoy / Vea / Nassib / JPP, the 5th overall pick in the draft and a high pick in each round after, young talent all over the secondary, and for the first time since Gruden, a proven winner leading the whole thing.

I have no idea what to expect this season, but the coaching alone makes it more interesting to me than we've seen in a long time.  We're going to find out if Jameis is what he is, or if he's what he could be with Koetter, because if anyone can take him to the next level it's Arians.

TRMC....I'm thinking similarly...... 

21 minutes ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

We're going to find out if this team's problem was coaching or the players this year.  I'm excited.  If it was the players, Licht is as good as gone.  If it was the coaching, then Arians will have this team winning more than we're used to.

That the Bucs haven't spent $40m on top free agents this year doesn't bother me very much.  We've been doing that every year since Schiano and look where it's gotten us.

Probably saying the same thing here but I look at this as an evaluation year for Arians and an evaluation year of Licht.

The fact that the Bucs are not laying out $80mil contracts to anyone doesn't really bother me.

6 minutes ago, bucs63 said:

Smarter. That's one way to go. In '87 The Bucs had a promising new coach and 20 picks in the draft. Even with the number one overall and 3 2nd round and 3 4th round picks loading the top and netting memorable names it was 11 years before we saw a winning season.

Is there some moral to the story there? I dun fukin know. But I can't say I was expecting Light to pull the proverbial rabbit out of his ass. 

So in11 years we can expect some results. I love the optimism but is it possible your expectations are a tad high?

#Bucs2030

9 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

So in11 years we can expect some results. I love the optimism but is it possible your expectations are a tad high?

#Bucs2030

We had a winning season in 2010 and then just a couple years ago. The pace is accelerating so we should have some  results realitically around  2027 or 2028.

Just curious of the players who signed for the amount they did, assuming the Bucs weren’t “broke”, which ones did all the whiners think would’ve been good fits and worth the contracts?

Also, it’s not like the Bucs have a bunch of dead money due to bad signings. Most of the money is tied to players the team drafted..Winston, Evans, Smith, Marpet, McCoy, David. 

And every year we’ve been big spenders in FA and “won” the offseason...the returns usually sucked.

Gee let’s have a hissy fit because we’re not landing Chris Baker, DJax, Ward, Johnson, Collins, Unrein, Harper....

44 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Licht can be bashed appropriately. His only savings grace is that he followed someone even worse. This is his do or die season.

So you think the Tards are involved with these one year contracts? I gotta figure their hoofprints are around someplace.

3 hours ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

3 hours ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

RMC with the voice of reason.

Good posts, sir.

4 hours ago, JOEinPHX said:

Not defending Licht, but there's no such thing as a good read from Martin Fennelly.  The man is a click-bait whore with zero real insight.

Joe! The one sentence wisdom for the win. Why doesn’t he just retire to a life of continuous day drinking? He’s the token holdover from when the Times swallowed up the Trib. Miserable pain in the ass.  The douche makes Rick Stroud seem like a Pulitzer winner. Almost. 

1 hour ago, bucs63 said:

So you think the Tards are involved with these one year contracts? I gotta figure their hoofprints are around someplace.

I actually hadn't thought of that but it would make sense. Essentially put in the defense and offense, see what will be needed after the season and go from there without any long term commitments added to any great degree.

I also think if a major cut such as McCoy, JPP or David was coming, it would have already happened. The only change to that could be affected by whoever the #1 pick is. All three, assuming they make it to the start of the season, are probably playing their final season in Tampa.