Sign in to follow this  
Gulf Shore Steve

Offseason 2019

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Per Pewter Report

Donovan Smith in

Adam Humphries out

Have a nice day!!!!!

Smith is a no brainer in my mind. Young, durable, still developing LT. Only the least informed of the most would let him walk.

As for Hump, it’s a numbers game. Evans is paid top dollar as he should be, Goodwin is the clear number two and some team will be willing to pay Hump probably more than they should. 

14 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

Smith is a no brainer in my mind. Young, durable, still developing LT. Only the least informed of the most would let him walk.

It will be really interesting to see what the new megastaff of proven good coaches has to say.  

And, offseason still really blows. 

Credited the wrong source. Stroud was the source on Donovan Smith and it appears to be that the Bucs (I assume the current staff) is looking to sign him to a multi year deal at about $12 mil per. The assumption is that it would be the typical first two years guaranteed. This would be about $2.5mil less than the franchise tag for the upcoming season.

Hump's apparently looking for upwards of $10mil per. The Bucs have attempted to sign him to a longer termed deal (at a much lower salary) but Hump bet on himself and now he's going to attempt to cash in. If it's $10mil he can walk. Half that and they'll probably resign him.

Good for Hump. Hate to see him go,  

losing Brate, Dungsean, and Hump, suddenly the Bucs receiver skill positions are no longer the best in the NFL. 

Hate to lose Hump but can’t afgord 10 large for him. Maybe 7, maybe trade Brate and keep Hump if he’d go for the 7.

While it’s been fun to give Winston all those toys at the skill position for s couple seasons, it’s amounted to a rather shitty win/loss record. 

I could see them letting Hump walk and DJax go and bring in a speed guy via FA or the later rounds of the draft. I line up of Evans, Godwin, OJ and another speed guy would be plenty for a potent passing game. 

Also dont rule out a player like Bobo emerging as a number 3 in Arian’s offense as a deep threat. 

Right now, as long as they lock up Smith, their biggest needs are RG, S, CB..then a lot depends on what they do at LBer with Kwon and the health. or lack thereof, of Beckwith.

4 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

as long as they coach up Smith,  

A slight modification. Looks like you're apparently going to get your wish about him being paid.  He better not go get lazier when he gets paid.  DEcent coaching...........might just go a long way with many of the players. 

I don't think signing Smith to a long-term big-money deal seems like a great idea. Most players work hard for the big contract. They stay in shape, put in maximum effort, and work for it. Smith has been a worthless, fat, out of shape moron, even while playing for a contract. Once he HAS the contract, with big money guaranteed, what are the odds he turns the corner, gets in shape, starts caring, and improves a player?

Not good.

2 hours ago, Tundra said:

A slight modification. Looks like you're apparently going to get your wish about him being paid.  He better not go get lazier when he gets paid.  DEcent coaching...........might just go a long way with many of the players. 

Smith is highly regarded as a team guy by teammates and has never missed a single snap since he’s been drafted. 

Despite some fan’s strange opinions on him being “lazy”, the guy has been been a rock and played through multiple injuries. 

He’s been great in the community and has had stretches of games where he’s been very good. Those are the games the fans never talk about. Then he has a game we’re he gives up a sack and has a penalty, and it’s “he fucjung sucks”..”I saw sports center highlights and Winston got hit..fuck Smith he’s fat and lazy”. Pfffft!

Sure the guy has had some tough games..but ALL left tackles do. I saw a game this year where Tyron Smith, arguably the best LT in football, had 3 penalties and gave up 3 sacks. He was pretty awful. 

Heard an interview with Joe Thomas and he essentially said the fans are clueless when it comes to OT play. He said they play every single offensive snap in a football game (around 70 plays) and they give up one sack and that’s what the fans see. Not the other 69 plays.

Please name 8 better LTs under 30 years old in the NFL. 

It would be so Buc-like and typical gooberville shit by the fans, if they let Smith go. Then we get to watch him play another decade for a team, while we continue to try to find the next Joe Thomas. 

But I’ll respect the opinion of Arians and Goodwin. They most likely know just little more about oline play than we do.

43 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

I don't think signing Smith to a long-term big-money deal seems like a great idea. Most players work hard for the big contract. They stay in shape, put in maximum effort, and work for it. Smith has been a worthless, fat, out of shape moron, even while playing for a contract. Once he HAS the contract, with big money guaranteed, what are the odds he turns the corner, gets in shape, starts caring, and improves a player?

Not good.

I’m willing to bet the people who actually have a clue, completely disagree with your brilliant assessment. 

Worthless?? Moronic?? 

Sounds a lot like your football takes. 

1 hour ago, fanofdabucs said:

I’m willing to bet the people who actually have a clue, completely disagree with your brilliant assessment. 

Worthless?? Moronic?? 

Sounds a lot like your football takes. 

He's a waste of space. It's unclear why you seem to be the President of his fan club.

2 hours ago, tfree32 said:

He's a waste of space. It's unclear why you seem to be the President of his fan club.

So other than “waste of space”, “fat”, “moron”...

Any interesting breakdowns on his play that make you think he’s all those things?

Or is it “I see QB go down in highlight..LT fat and lazy. Let fat, lazy, moron LT go”.

Again, there’s a lot more to judging Smith than meets the occasional highlight reel. Smith has started every game at LT since his rookie year. He’s played in an offense that calls for the QB to drop back in a vertical passing game. He’s played on teams with such shitty defenses that almost EVERY fucking game he’s spending the second half trying to block the other teams best pass rusher in which that guy can just tee off. No running game to worry about, no play action.

All that and he’s still managed to have games in which he dominated the opposing teams pass rusher. 

Those are facts...but “big guy seems lazy, big fat guy gave up some sacks... let big guy go” is way more a convening argument.

Again, let’s see what the actual football people think when the watch virtual every snap Smith has taken from his rookie year. If they decide he’s not worth it, then so be it. 

If only he was a cornfucker. 

For the first time in  more than a decade, there is a head coach and a set of assistants who have proven they can properly evaluate a player’s performance,  and come up with a plan for improving that performance. And then even more importantly, execute that plan and get the most out of that player. So unless Arians and his crew look at the OL film and see only loose stools on the LT position, Dung Smith will likely be retained. Either franchise tag or at $12 large a year for a few years.  I think the position coaching has been so bad, particularly from Warhoppingfuck and the idiots masquerading as DB coiches,  that we don’t really know what we have. Except with Clueless Bunnycock. No coach in the world will be able to teach that fat fuck how to wipe his own ass let alone play guard. 

Twank it,. 

I see the Donovan Smith debate rages on.

I am all for giving him a training camp opportunity to prove himself with real, quality line coaching. I am convinced that the Bucs haven't had that in a whole lot of years. I will also remain skeptical of Smith because what I see on the field does not equate to good play. I also think some of that depends on the player, so he doesn't get a free pass just because he had shit for coaching. At some point, his God-given ability has to manifest itself on the field. If it doesn't, then one has to assume he's lazy. Kenyatta Walker had a lot of talent as a RT, but he was lazy.

I'm not saying Donovan Smith is Kenyatta Walker, and it would be far more beneficial for the Bucs to not have a LT on their shopping needs, because they have other pressing needs......but I am also not optimistic enough to think Smith is as solid as fanof thinks he is. Fanof and I have disputed our differences regarding Smith. At the end of the day, Smith is going to be a Buccaneer in the upcoming season. If he gets good coaching, plays up to his potential, and maintains his reliability on the field (because he has been a stalwart since he entered the league), then the Bucs have an anchor on the left side to build from.

The most pressing need on the line is at RG, a replacement starter at RT, and legit depth along the whole line.

1 hour ago, SamuraiBuc said:

I see the Donovan Smith debate rages on.

I am all for giving him a training camp opportunity to prove himself with real, quality line coaching. I am convinced that the Bucs haven't had that in a whole lot of years. I will also remain skeptical of Smith because what I see on the field does not equate to good play. I also think some of that depends on the player, so he doesn't get a free pass just because he had shit for coaching. At some point, his God-given ability has to manifest itself on the field. If it doesn't, then one has to assume he's lazy. Kenyatta Walker had a lot of talent as a RT, but he was lazy.

I'm not saying Donovan Smith is Kenyatta Walker, and it would be far more beneficial for the Bucs to not have a LT on their shopping needs, because they have other pressing needs......but I am also not optimistic enough to think Smith is as solid as fanof thinks he is. Fanof and I have disputed our differences regarding Smith. At the end of the day, Smith is going to be a Buccaneer in the upcoming season. If he gets good coaching, plays up to his potential, and maintains his reliability on the field (because he has been a stalwart since he entered the league), then the Bucs have an anchor on the left side to build from.

The most pressing need on the line is at RG, a replacement starter at RT, and legit depth along the whole line.

I think much of the D. Smith decision is pragmatic.  We already have issues on the OL, and if we let him go, what are our options?  We're not getting a solid LT in FA, and anyone we draft will be more of a project than he is.

I think we need a Donovan Smith thread. A couple. New ones.  More Donovan Smith.    Not enough exposure has been given to the player, the man, and his on field exploits, blocking for runners and protecting passers, and such. 

6 hours ago, Tundra said:

I think we need a Donovan Smith thread. A couple. New ones.  More Donovan Smith.    Not enough exposure has been given to the player, the man, and his on field exploits, blocking for runners and protecting passers, and such. 

I’ve got the fever. And the only thing that will cure that fever is.........more Donovan Smith.

On topic, what do you folks think in regards to Gerald McCoy finishing out his contract in Tampa? Do you think they will cut him (honestly) in an attempt to avoid his cap hit?