Sign in to follow this  
Gulf Shore Steve

Offseason 2019

30 minutes ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

If I had to choose between Humphires and McCoy, I'd let McCoy go.

Yup. Time to move on from McCoy. Yeah, I know. The defense will be 'worse' without him. But he has 1-2 seasons of prime football left and even then he's not going to move the needle all that much for the Bucs.

The only way GMC finishes his career as a Buc is if he walks into Licht's office, agrees to void his current contract and start over with a cap friendly 5 year deal or something.  And why would he do that, really? He knows that he's not a fan favorite and will forever be compared to Warren Sapp.  I do think there may be some value in a trade. Not much but some.   The sad thing, I bet he can thrive in an attacking one gap scheme rather than this awful read and react bullshit we've been forced to watch like Malcolm McDowell in Clockwork Orange. 

Image result for malcolm mcdowell clockwork orange eyes open

3 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Ellington replaces Rodgers. Third down back that is comfortable with the coaching staff and offense scheme. How much he plays or if he even makes the final roster - remains to be seen.

Potential camp fodder, will vie for rotations to be in the mix in camp. As I said he’d be. 

Has anyone seen or heard of a realistic assessment of Shaun Wilson

I know he didn't et more than 5-6 touches in games but there has to be some idea he can be developed.

He is kinda on the small side

IF we can't sign Hump one of those guys will need to step up
We may lose Brate as well

6 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Ellington replaces Rodgers. Third down back that is comfortable with the coaching staff and offense scheme. How much he plays or if he even makes the final roster - remains to be seen.

I'm not sure he makes the roster. He was signed now because the only guys available are guys such as he who are not on a contract that won't run out until March 10th. He helps them run practice, at the very least, as he should be familiar with the way Arians does things. Didn't play last year but caught 40 balls or so the year prior with nearly no rushing attempts.

20 hours ago, Buc said:

Has anyone seen or heard of a realistic assessment of Shaun Wilson

I know he didn't et more than 5-6 touches in games but there has to be some idea he can be developed.

He is kinda on the small side

IF we can't sign Hump one of those guys will need to step up
We may lose Brate as well

I had grown so tired of Jones and Rodgers that I just presumed that Wilson 'had' to be better than either of those. Then he got hurt. Not really sure what to make of him. Unlike Jones, he didn't seem afraid to run the ball. Maybe that's a good starting point.

McCoy to return:

Not much will change for the Bucs with McCoy, who will return for his 10th straight season. He also will earn $13 million — which eats up nearly 18 percent of the money spent on the defense — even though his 2019 salary was not guaranteed.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2019/02/22/why-gerald-mccoy-will-return-for-a-10th-season-with-the-bucs/

...and this is interesting:

Tyrann MathieuVerified account @Mathieu_Era

This is a win!!!

Tyrann Mathieu added,

ProFootballTalkVerified account @ProFootballTalk
Report: Bucs will keep Gerald McCoy for 2019 season http://bit.ly/2BMsB5K 
9:50 AM - 22 Feb 2019

Right now cap space of about $15mil. Signing of D. Smith or probably any viable LT will cost nearly that much. DJax would cut $11mil. They can drop Brate but not if he can't pass a physical so they may not pick up his $7mil until later in the offseason or possibly pre-season. Dotson would clear $4mi and Anger another $3mil.

This is what makes signing guys such as Honey Badger difficult as he'll probably be about $8mil. Not a lot of room to maneuver.

18 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Right now cap space of about $15mil. Signing of D. Smith or probably any viable LT will cost nearly that much. DJax would cut $11mil. They can drop Brate but not if he can't pass a physical so they may not pick up his $7mil until later in the offseason or possibly pre-season. Dotson would clear $4mi and Anger another $3mil.

This is what makes signing guys such as Honey Badger difficult as he'll probably be about $8mil. Not a lot of room to maneuver.

How about Gholston? How much from cutting him? 

Also, any possible restructures? 

Gholston would be 3.7m. Problem with some of these guys making $2mil-$4mil is that their replacements would cost the same in all likelihood. Gholston as a 5 technique might not be bad. He's not a pass rusher but he can be a pretty decent anchor DE. So I wouldn't be all that quick to dump him.

In terms of restructuring, Mike Evans would be the candidate. He's due $20mil and this year is the end of his guarantees. He's certainly going to be around for the foreseeable future so a restructure doesn't really hurt as it would with McCoy who they might be looking to ditch after this season.

Beau Allen will be gone, Douchean Jackoffson will be traded for draft pick, Bunnycock will be gone,  Gholston might be gone, emember Nassib played like Greg Spires last year so he makes the DL quite a bit better and is cheap. Lurcht will do good capology stuff and snug the Bucs right up to the edge of the cap. 2019 is win at all costs, fellas. 

Next year’s offseason blows could really see some carnage. 

Greg AumanVerified account @gregauman

Licht isn't saying much about LB Kendell Beckwith's ankle injury in a car accident last spring: "It's fair to say it's a bit more complicated." Asked if it's potentially career-ending: "I'll know a little bit more in about a month."

If Beckwith were ready to go, Licht would have just said that or something like "we expect him to be ready....". He didn't do that so my guess is Beckwith's injury is severe enough to not count on him at all at this point. That's a shame because he fits what the Bucs likely want to do defensively better than Kwon and possibly better than David although David's role is as a "chase" LBer used for more coverage purposes....almost a 2nd strong safety.

Lumpy Smith. Great. Coach is fat ass up. 

Apparently Adams, who played well for that shit defense last year, is not being tendered. I think that’s fuckin stupid. Unless Honey Badger will be a Buc but as GSS observes there is no cap space currently without offloading some salaries. 

Offseason Blows.