Sign in to follow this  
fanofdabucs

Thoughts FA targets, trimming the fat, and possible draft targets?

4 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

I’d like to see a pretty extensive house cleaning, which it doesn’t look like will happen. There are far too many losers, quitters, and shitheads on the roster. Flush them out and replace them with proven winners, either through the draft or free agency. 

The Housecleaning  becomes a by-product of the Arians Way, I think.  He'll put the Mega Dose on the bastages in the spring thing and probably will go out of his way to stress the people he suspects are loafs. 

If the good coach can get the players to actually play and give a shit because they know that HE gives a shit...........might be surprising what happens with only half a housecleaning. 

Not sure a major house cleaning is in order. Plus, I don’t think you hire a 66 year old HC to completely rebuild, to which Arians has already stated he’s not here to do, makes sense.

They need some tweaking, but I think a philosophical change, getting some guys healthy, adding a few important pieces and this team can win rather quickly. 

7 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Smith is a perfect candidate for the franchise tag, if the Bucs have the cap space for it. He doesn't deserve a long-term deal. And finding an upgrade at LT will demand either a high draft pick or a big contract to a free agent. Tag his fat ass for one year and see how things play out.

That’s a big lazy ass to tag but there isn’t really a better option. 

Is he worth a 1 year 14-15 million dollar contract?! I agree that we need his services, but that's a lot of cap space and we are overpaying.  I think I'd rather just give him a solid contract in year one, and if we can't get a reasonable deal, then go the free agency and draft route.  We might end up with a similar mess if he doesn't pan out, but if he does, we'll at least have him under contract.

16 minutes ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Is he worth a 1 year 14-15 million dollar contract?! I agree that we need his services, but that's a lot of cap space and we are overpaying.  I think I'd rather just give him a solid contract in year one, and if we can't get a reasonable deal, then go the free agency and draft route.  We might end up with a similar mess if he doesn't pan out, but if he does, we'll at least have him under contract.

I don't see that happening at all. He's either tagged or there's another LT for the Bucs next year. They also can't wait until the draft to make this decision. Whoever the LT is going to be, they have to know the answer fairly quickly. There's really not much on the FA market which will be either a better player, and equal player nor cost any less.

It's also not a particularly good year for draft eligible OTs. There are some decent interior guys to grab 2nd day but I don't trust any of the supposed first rounders to pan out at all never mind be able to step right in to the position.

7 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I don't see that happening at all. He's either tagged or there's another LT for the Bucs next year. They also can't wait until the draft to make this decision. Whoever the LT is going to be, they have to know the answer fairly quickly. There's really not much on the FA market which will be either a better player, and equal player nor cost any less.

It's also not a particularly good year for draft eligible OTs. There are some decent interior guys to grab 2nd day but I don't trust any of the supposed first rounders to pan out at all never mind be able to step right in to the position.

Isn't there a Gator OT that's gotten a few first round grades? I'm sure the most informed will be crowing about him being the long-term answer at LT - presuming of course Winston doesn't make him look bad. 

53 minutes ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Isn't there a Gator OT that's gotten a few first round grades? I'm sure the most informed will be crowing about him being the long-term answer at LT - presuming of course Winston doesn't make him look bad. 

I heard Kenyatta Walker is planning a comeback. 

Trent Brown, bitches. 

8 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Jawaan Taylor. Even my Gator homer friends at work say 2nd round and definitely not 5th pick in the draft.

But could we get him locked down with say a 5 year 50 million dollar contract with 10 million down and 8 million a year?    It's not likely that another team will let go of someone better, so we'd probably have to look towards the draft and then start a rookie at LT in year two.

How much do you think he'd get in the free market?

4 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

But could we get him locked down with say a 5 year 50 million dollar contract with 10 million down and 8 million a year?    It's not likely that another team will let go of someone better, so we'd probably have to look towards the draft and then start a rookie at LT in year two.

We talkn bout Kenyatta or D Smith?

4 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

You don't want to tie him up for more than one season. Thus it's better to pay a higher rate over a shorter term than a deal with 2 or 3 years with a $20mil to $25mil guaranty which is what I think we'd be talking about.

In a perfect world, I'd want him under contract if his game improves significantly under new coaching, but I'd still like to have him under contact if it doesn't, so that we still have someone under contract while shopping in FA or the draft.  It depends on the numbers.  20-25 mil guaranteed is too much, but 16-18 wouldn't be.

Still, I have a hard time seeing a new staff in year 1 hand a sub par player 14+ million on a 1 year contract, knowing that they'll need to find a replacement afterwards.

Taylor is a solid RT, but he’s not someone I would have thought of as a high first round pick. 

I think that speaks more to the overall talent of the draft class than it does to Taylor’s talent. 

Other than the OT from Bama, I don’t see another OT that’s worthy of a top 10 pick.

I understand that the most informed thinks that there is this all pro LT out there that in her fantasyland doesn’t ever give up sacks, never has a penalty called against him and protects Jaboo to where he can finally turn into a top 15 QB. 

The truth is the Bucs already have a young (25), solid, durable LT who can still get better with coaching. 

The decision comes down to whether or not they can sign him to a contract that makes sense.

Im just glad they have professionals making these decisions as opposed to some clown who watches highlights and sees her most favorite QB getting hit and automatically goes into fuctard mode and screams “the LT fucking sucks”.

2 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

Taylor is a solid RT, but he’s not someone I would have thought of as a high first round pick. 

I think that speaks more to the overall talent of the draft class than it does to Taylor’s talent. 

Other than the OT from Bama, I don’t see another OT that’s worthy of a top 10 pick.

I understand that the most informed thinks that there is this all pro LT out there that in her fantasyland doesn’t ever give up sacks, never has a penalty called against him and protects Jaboo to where he can finally turn into a top 15 QB. 

The truth is the Bucs already have a young (25), solid, durable LT who can still get better with coaching. 

The decision comes down to whether or not they can sign him to a contract that makes sense.

Im just glad they have professionals making these decisions as opposed to some clown who watches highlights and sees her most favorite QB getting hit and automatically goes into fuctard mode and screams “the LT fucking sucks”.

Joe Gilbert, Harold Goodwin, and Bruce Arians will get a shitload of popcorn, (maybe some bourbon) and watch Scarey Movie 2018, the video story of the Bucs 2018 offensive line.  They will decide whether D Smith is worth the $15 million plus/minus that a franchise tag will cost, and if they give the go ahead, it will be on a yellow light because D Smith is known and well documented to take plays off, not play to the whistle, and play inconsistently week to week, down to his level of competition.  The Bucs best O-limeman stands next to him, Marpet. At least Dotson has the excuse of a verifiable corpse lurching next to him that makes him look bad in BenaCock. 

This is all over the trade media, and Arians himself has said the O-Line needs work. 

Given the train wreck that is BeenieandcecilCock, and the age and level of Dotson, it's likely they keep Smith while looking in the FA pile for the others and then drafting some  talent which history says rarely produces an immediate starter.  Sadly the O-line will not be strong in 2019 but hopefully good enough.  Whether that includes D Smith we shall see, and I eagerly anticipate the critique of the new sheriffs in town on the subject. 

Did the LT really fucking suck? Let's watch what some adult expertise that is reloading, not rebuilding, has to say on the matter. 

21 hours ago, Tundra said:

Joe Gilbert, Harold Goodwin, and Bruce Arians will get a shitload of popcorn, (maybe some bourbon) and watch Scarey Movie 2018, the video story of the Bucs 2018 offensive line.  They will decide whether D Smith is worth the $15 million plus/minus that a franchise tag will cost, and if they give the go ahead, it will be on a yellow light because D Smith is known and well documented to take plays off, not play to the whistle, and play inconsistently week to week, down to his level of competition.  The Bucs best O-limeman stands next to him, Marpet. At least Dotson has the excuse of a verifiable corpse lurching next to him that makes him look bad in BenaCock. 

This is all over the trade media, and Arians himself has said the O-Line needs work. 

Given the train wreck that is BeenieandcecilCock, and the age and level of Dotson, it's likely they keep Smith while looking in the FA pile for the others and then drafting some  talent which history says rarely produces an immediate starter.  Sadly the O-line will not be strong in 2019 but hopefully good enough.  Whether that includes D Smith we shall see, and I eagerly anticipate the critique of the new sheriffs in town on the subject. 

Did the LT really fucking suck? Let's watch what some adult expertise that is reloading, not rebuilding, has to say on the matter. 

Good post sir👍

35 minutes ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Anyway, my feeling is that we aren't going to bother with a franchise tag on him.  Half the reason to keep him is to have some stability on the OL, and that doesn't happen if he goes packing after one year.

Stability is good if there is quality in it. Paying Donovan to demonstrate whether or not he can really play consistently well is a much lower risk than just rolling out the brinks truck and paying him like he’s Joe Thomas.  But they may not, as i5s been written, the last time the Bucs franchised someone it was a kicker. 

Bu you are practically rolling out the brinks truck with the franchise tag.  He's not getting an elite player contract, so the contract they would give him probably wouldn't have cost much more most money if he is sent packing after year one.  Then if we are going after a rookie in the draft in 2020, we'd probably want Donovan under contract for 2020 as well.  And, given that he takes plays off, do we get a realistic idea of how good he'll be in the future based on a 1 year contract where he is playing for a big payout?

Perhaps a transition tag is an option because the tag price is about 1.5 million lower, but the player still gets to seek other offers, so we could end up being in a position well after the start of FA and maybe the draft where we have to accept a fat offer for him or let him go.