Sign in to follow this  
fanofdabucs

Thoughts FA targets, trimming the fat, and possible draft targets?

Buc’s fans favorite time of the year.

Coming off another double digit losing season, another new coaching staff, and another off season with a chance to make the right moves to FINALLY turn this shit around.

Who to build around?

Offense:

Locks:

Evans

Godwin

Marpet

Howard

Hump (FA)

Hopefully these guys become cornerstones this year:

Winston

Smith (FA)

Defense:

Locks:

Vea

JPP

Nassib

David

Davis

Hopefully:

Evans

Hargreaves

Beckwith

Cuttung the fat:

Curry (8 mil)- too much for an average player

McCoy (13 mil)- thanks for a decade of solid ball but age and cap hit don’t jive.

DJax (10 mil)- Rather give that contract to a younger, tougher, better team player in Hump.

Brate (7 mil)- just too much for a TE coming off hip surgery. With Howard being the man, Brate either restructures or is cut.

Gholston (3.75)- part time below average DE. Bye.

That clears about 40 mil in cap space.

FA to resign:

Hump- consistent, young, great hands, gets opened, makes tough catches, team player.  This is the type of guy you want to have on your team.  

Smith- favorite whipping boy of the most informed, but the truth is he’s still young, never misses a game (or snap), has had shit coaching and has played on teams that focus on vertical passing and was constantly playing from behind. 

Maybe:

Kwon- curious to see what Bowles thinks of Kwon. The fact he’s coming off ACL surgery, may allow the Bucs to get a one year “prove it” type deal.

FA targets....

33 minutes ago, fanofdabucs said:

Brate (7 mil)- just too much for a TE coming off hip surgery. With Howard being the man, Brate either restructures or is cut.

Maybe:

Kwon- curious to see what Bowles thinks of Kwon. The fact he’s coming off ACL surgery, may allow the Bucs to get a one year “prove it” type deal.

Kwon - whether the Bucs sign him or not the real question is whether he'd be ready to play and whether the defensive staff believes that his play is worthy of signing when healthy.  Then there's Beckwith. Nothing public about his recovery although it seems as if his situation may not be good for the rest of his career since he went nowhere last year. If he's healthy he could be a better choice as a Mike than Kwon. Plus they may like Devin White enough to know they can get him and just plug him in.

Brate - based on the public wording of his contract he may not be able to be cut. He just had surgery and if his recovery sends him past the date his 2019 salary becomes guaranteed, he can't be released.

The cap presents itself as an obstacle. Lichzxgt was definitely going heavy investment on winning in '17 or '18.   So the non-emotional business person looks at this and asks "What return am I getting on my investment, player by player?"  

On the DL, Unrein and Beau Allen are toast. Unrein may already have been released with injury settlement, I can't remember.  Gholston must also be toast, he is making way too much money to sit on the toilet and shit in One Buc Place. The resultant turds are about his only contribution.  Curry is a good dude but wasn't worth his money so he is probably gone. And then there is Gerald -- not worth $13 large a year. Does he agree to void his contract and sign for much less to finish his career in a place that has largely accused him of not being Warren Sapp, and not liked his good guy goofy image? Nah, he's gone to a playoff contender and Licht can only afford to take a mid round pick or backup player in return because of the affordability question.   Spence may luck out and stay just because of the "P" word (potential) and he doesn't cost much.  He sucked cock when he was in games last season.  So big upheaval on the DL.  Expect some soon to be ex=Jets to come down to replace the ex-Eagle and ex-Bear. 

On the LB corps -- Quan ain't getting $12 large, from anyone.  Might he be talked into staying on a one year prove it type deal for, say  $8 large? Doubtful. Quan is probably a Raiduh next year.  Hopefully Beckwith can be healthy again. Lavonte started playing like the Lavonte we all remember after Big Ass Mike was fired, The rest of the corps are depth = backup dudes, so there will be some additions to the LB corps, but Licht can only afford to pay less than what Quan is asking for. Look for some castoffs to come in and get a chance.  Maybe Quan will relax his compensation demands.  I am not sure about this unit. 

On the DBs --  adios Brunt Crimes.  Hope your wife rogers you in the ass on Snatchat.  Welcome back Hargreaves, who was showing some of the promise making him a Buc draft choice before the freak injury against the Aints in game 1.  Carlton Davis, Jordan Whitehead and Justin Evans are all promising young players. MJ Stewart, however, looks to be the Ronald Jones of the defense. He fucking sucks and maybe sucks beyond swallow.  Once big pustule mike was jettisoned, the unit started to play less shitty. Let's expect Todd's Bowel and his erect staff to coach up these guys.  Andrew Adams looks like a guy that can play and the other waiters and bartenders  picked up off the street brought some fire and effort, even though lacking in talent. I think Licksxght gets the Bucs a veteran CB in FA and a rookie in the day 2 draft orgy.  This unit is about coaching and the Bucs seems to have that, finally, now. 

On the OL -- adios Caleb BenaCock, You are as bad as Oneil's Cousin.  Donovan Smith -- you probably should hold out for a big number that some other team will offer and take it. You will never reach your potential because you are lazy, so best to take a maximum amount of money in your next deal and pocket as much of it as you can before the next team discovers you don't play to the whistle, allow lesser players to walk all over you. Realizing that LTs are rare and all, fuck you. Take your "favorite whipping boy" status, your assless chaps and your ball gag and get the fuck out.  Showing up for every game and sucking cock is nothing to be proud of.  Jameis knows and the Glazers know.  And Arians and Goodwin are about to know when they watch the fucking film.  Some castoff LT from another team and a rookie from a high level D-1 school and Dumbavan Smuth won't even be an afterthought. This unit needs veteran depth, an injection of D-1 rookies (not fuckers from Division 4 Joan Rivers College for the Retarded). and then some serious coaching from Joe Gilbert and Harold Goodwin. Please. 

QB -- getting a new number 2 will be a priority.  Fitz can't stay now, after he went all D-Jax in that presser after beating the Eagles, he returned to the interception machine that we've known and loathed all those years. And that stench in the QB room needs a cleanse.  Griff will go be Koetter's fluffer in Atlanta.  Does 40 year old Carson Palmer come out of retirement to Tampa? Remember Joe Ferguson, anyone?  (This will not happen.)  Someone mentioned Matt Schaub.  He'd be a decent get and has never displayed a flash of splash to initiate QB controversy.  He'd be OK in the clipboard position.  Fuck, Mike Glennon might be available.  HAHAHAHAHAAAA just kidding, Fuck Lurch.   A wildcat type running athlete may also be picked up to be a number 3 / slash type player to keep defenses guessing. 

RB -- Peyton Barber is a stud to anyone that watches. He did more with less than almost any RB in the league. He needs another dude to help him, so the Bucs need to sign..............yes I know..............you character loving pussies are going to squawk..........ALVIN.  Bring him in on a short leash, make him take sign a commitment that voids his contract if he fucks up and puts his hands on anything other than his own dick when he's not playing football.  And draft a bruising moose that can play FB if needed, and a young fast fellow that might actually be a threat in the return game. Let Royo compete for his spot and expect him to be selling insurance by October. 

TE -- Hope OJ can stay healthy, he is the second coming of Jimmy Giles if healthy. Brate, needs to stay. He can have a rebirth with good health and absent the QB distractions. I don't like Au Clair, he is a holding machine.  H backs are  a dime a dozen. Not too worried about the position after OJ and Brate. 

WR -- adios Duhsean. Let's see if Watson can emerge as a player, let's see if Bobo can become a deep threat, and if this scuttlefuck about John Brown has any legs, sure bring him over to Tampa. And fucking SIGN HUMP!

Image result for what hump young frankenstein

The who of it all in terms of replacements is the challenge due to the cap, but unloading the salaries of Unrein, Curry, Gholston, McCoy, Quon, Grimes, D Smith, BenaCock,  DuhSean Jackson, and FItz  is a fairly nice chunk of change to work with.  

Get to work Lichting Arian's Bowel!

3 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

Smith- favorite whipping boy of the most informed, but the truth is he’s still young, never misses a game (or snap), has had shit coaching and has played on teams that focus on vertical passing and was constantly playing from behind. 

Take your statement above and realize the statement below is closer to the truth than you will ever admit.

41 minutes ago, Tundra said:

Realizing that LTs are rare and all, fuck you. Take your "favorite whipping boy" status, your assless chaps and your ball gag and get the fuck out.  Showing up for every game and sucking cock is nothing to be proud of.

Goodbye, Fatass Smith that plays everyday like a limp-wristed, llama-humping idiot. We could find as good or better in FA for less money and maybe even a mid to late round draft choice. 23rd in the league among all LT. That is all I need to know.

1 hour ago, SamuraiBuc said:

We could find as good or better in FA for less money and maybe even a mid to late round draft choice. 23rd in the league among all LT. That is all I need to know.

Another LT will likely cost about the same and/or will be an equal or poorer player and it's unlikely that a mid to late round choice starts in the league at this point.

I'm not a big Smith fan but that is the situation.

39 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Another LT will likely cost about the same and/or will be an equal or poorer player and it's unlikely that a mid to late round choice starts in the league at this point.

I'm not a big Smith fan but that is the situation.

Maybe new coaches can make a difference, but after four years of equating "just showing up" with quality I'm not sure he has it in him to play consistently at a level worthy of $15 large a year. Let's see if Bellycheat decides to pay his own guy Trent Brown or not. I'd rather pay him more and fucken Dumbovun Smith the hell out of Tampa. BTW -- the stat geeks who do this shit for a living have him rated as a 2 out of 5, saying his starting days are over and he'd be better as a swing tackle or a guard. 

Smith is UFA, so aren't we going to have to use some sort of franchise tag (or overpay) to keep him?

I think the cap isn't an issue.  They might have had some money carry over, the cap hs shot up for next year (I believe) and we've got some high dollar players who should be easy to cut.  But the larger issue is how much if any do they want to go into rebuilding.  I think we've got to clear some cap money, and then jettison a few others maybe with a culture change, and at that point, you might as well rebuild.

2 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

The Bucs are going to have to overpay for Smith. They are going to have to overpay for any LT no matter who it is and the player isn't likely to be any better than Smith.

The Bucs aren't rebuilding. Arians was brought to Tampa to move the franchise forward with most of the roster intact.

He churned about half the Cardinals starters in his first year there and went from 5-11 prior to his arrival to 10-6. 

So he is going to churn players and get results immediately, at least that's the expectation based on his track record. 

13 minutes ago, bucs63 said:

Lovie said he decided he wasn't going to do that in one of his early pressers. They were going to win games. Because fans deserve it he said.

What's past is prologue.

I don't think that this

Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith, Bucs

Looks like this

Image result for brilliant bruce arians buccaneers

21 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Kwon - whether the Bucs sign him or not the real question is whether he'd be ready to play and whether the defensive staff believes that his play is worthy of signing when healthy.  Then there's Beckwith. Nothing public about his recovery although it seems as if his situation may not be good for the rest of his career since he went nowhere last year. If he's healthy he could be a better choice as a Mike than Kwon. Plus they may like Devin White enough to know they can get him and just plug him in.

Brate - based on the public wording of his contract he may not be able to be cut. He just had surgery and if his recovery sends him past the date his 2019 salary becomes guaranteed, he can't be released.

Agreed on Kwon. 

The MLB position is going to depend a lot of the health of both Kwon and Beckwith. Kwon should be ready to play without issue by training camp. Beckwith was said to be ready to play by December, but never saw the field.

If Devin White is available when the Bucs pick, right now he seems to make a lot of sense.

GSS, can they approach Brate about a restructure or is that unlikely until he’s healthy?

18 hours ago, SamuraiBuc said:

Take your statement above and realize the statement below is closer to the truth than you will ever admit.

Goodbye, Fatass Smith that plays everyday like a limp-wristed, llama-humping idiot. We could find as good or better in FA for less money and maybe even a mid to late round draft choice. 23rd in the league among all LT. That is all I need to know.

I understand the vast knowledge of online play by very informed posters, however, I will stick with what I’ve watched for the last few years. A solid LT, who was tasked with playing in an offense that called for the QB to hold the ball too long and throw way too often. Smith played from behind, way behind in most games for the last few years, where the DE didn’t have to worry about or respect the running game. The DEs just teed off in pass rush mode. 

Tom Brady hasn’t been sacked once in the playoffs, despite playing against two of the better dlines in the NFL. Listen to Bosa playing with the mic in the playoff game and he keeps getting pissed about “how quickly Brady gets rid of the ball”. It’s not that the Pats oline is full of pro bowl players, it’s the play calling and a QB who doesn’t hold onto the ball.

If the most informed get their wish and Smith walks, I can’t wait until to next LT comes in and gives up his first sack. It’ll be “he fucking sucks” all over again. 

14 minutes ago, fanofdabucs said:

I understand the vast knowledge of online play by very informed posters, however, I will stick with what I’ve watched for the last few years. A solid LT, who was tasked with playing in an offense that called for the QB to hold the ball too long and throw way too often. Smith played from behind, way behind in most games for the last few years, where the DE didn’t have to worry about or respect the running game. The DEs just teed off in pass rush mode. 

Tom Brady hasn’t been sacked once in the playoffs, despite playing against two of the better dlines in the NFL. Listen to Bosa playing with the mic in the playoff game and he keeps getting pissed about “how quickly Brady gets rid of the ball”. It’s not that the Pats oline is full of pro bowl players, it’s the play calling and a QB who doesn’t hold onto the ball.

If the most informed get their wish and Smith walks, I can’t wait until to next LT comes in and gives up his first sack. It’ll be “he fucking sucks” all over again. 

Dude -- your defense of Smith is admirable. Fortunately there are now some adults in the building at One Buc that will evaluate him based on what they see. If their interpretation of what they see agrees with yours, then Smith gets a rude awakening in camp when he is worked harder than he's ever been worked and exposed if he ever decides to loaf a play, or even a walk through. But if BA and Staff believe he's worth an enormous salary, they'll pay him, and I'll be on board. 

Or they'll decide to take their chances that there is a more coachable upgrade available for less money, or a better value if, say, Trent Brown of the Patriots comes available. 

Either way, Warhumpingfuck is gone and that makes me think that everyone on the OL except BenaCock will play better.  So I'm good with the decisions of the new experts in house. 

Just now, Tundra said:

Dude -- your defense of Smith is admirable. Fortunately there are now some adults in the building at One Buc that will evaluate him based on what they see. If their interpretation of what they see agrees with yours, then Smith gets a rude awakening in camp when he is worked harder than he's ever been worked and exposed if he ever decides to loaf a play, or even a walk through. But if BA and Staff believe he's worth an enormous salary, they'll pay him, and I'll be on board. 

Or they'll decide to take their chances that there is a more coachable upgrade available for less money, or a better value if, say, Trent Brown of the Patriots comes available. 

Either way, Warhumpingfuck is gone and that makes me think that everyone except BenaCock will play better.  So I'm good with the decisions of the new experts in house. 

I agree T and I know that Sammy hates Smith and he has a lot of fellow Buc fans that agree with him.

I just think the Hate is misguided and misinformed. 

I realize I’m in the minority (amongst the fans), but we shall see what the experts think soon enough. If they let him walk, so be it. 

FA targets-

De/LBer Preston Smith- young, fast, strong and tough. Plays with a mean streak and can play with his hand in the dirt as a 4-3 DE or stand by LBer in a 3-4. He doesn’t have eye popping stats, so maybe he can be had for a decent price. Good football player here folks.

Guard Mike Iupati- the 31 year old guard is a favorite of Arians and would be an immediate upgrade at RG. 

S/CB Tyrann Mathieu- another Arians connection. Honey Badger can still play and at 26, still has the speed and instincts to play in the slot or safety. 

LBer Josh Keyes- Yep the ex Buc. The Bucs LBer corps is going to change a lot IMO. Lots of FAs and injury concerns. Plus a different style of defense means certain change. Keyes is a ST ace and can play any of the LBer positions. 

2 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

I agree T and I know that Sammy hates Smith and he has a lot of fellow Buc fans that agree with him.

I just think the Hate is misguided and misinformed. 

I realize I’m in the minority (amongst the fans), but we shall see what the experts think soon enough. If they let him walk, so be it. 

I don't hate Smith. I just don't believe he's a very good football player. You disagree. Fine. We'll see how Arians, Licht, Goodwin and Gilbert play it. I figure their opinion on what to do with Smith, versus the other options, will be the most informed . 

If Smith survives, he will certainly play better, but by how much? That's the critical question to answer before either paying him or letting him become a Brown. Or whoever. 

3 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

GSS, can they approach Brate about a restructure or is that unlikely until he’s healthy?

The Bucs can attempt to restructure him now but I'm not sure why he'd do it since his $7mil would be guaranteed for 2019 assuming he's not healthy enough to pass a physical on March whateveritis.

Dotson is the one that worries me - Im not sure he has another season in him
we have to find an answer for the right side RG/RT

Im not satisfied that this team has been A. Held accountable and B. Coached well
Would be nice to see if this coaching staff is right about the amount of talent they have on this team

ALSO NICE - WIN SOME FREAKING GAMES

Smith is UFA and it might take a franchise tag to keep him.  Then it isn't like other teams are giving up quality LTs to free agency.  Overall, I think we try to keep the offense together, and then there should be a lot of changes on defense.  I think McCoy is gone unless he takes a lot less money to stay, but even then I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Smith is UFA and it might take a franchise tag to keep him.  Then it isn't like other teams are giving up quality LTs to free agency.  Overall, I think we try to keep the offense together, and then there should be a lot of changes on defense.  I think McCoy is gone unless he takes a lot less money to stay, but even then I have my doubts.

Franchgagging him  only ties up the dough for a year,  he's probably a better use of that tag from a cost standpoint than Hump or Quon. I guess,