Sign in to follow this  
Craig B.

Emanuel's catch no longer the worst call in NFCCG history

I'd still argue that the Emmanuel catch was a worse call.  In this case, they could argue that they didn't see it or didn't think it was as bad as it was.  It was a non/missed call.  The emmanuel catch call was deliberate.  It was a clear catch, but the league (or officials) had their favorite.

BTW, does anyone else remember the days of Green/Anthony and this shit happening to the Bucs all the time?  Seems like every time we played the Packers and one of them went across the middle, they were hit before the ball arrived.  Fucking refs never gave them the call simply because they knew that our receivers couldn't catch it anyway.

This play, for all intents and purposes, decided the game. The Emmanuel catch did not. This call was so far beyond the Emmanuel catch/non-catch that it isn't funny. Didn't see it? Watch the play again a few times and look at how many sets of official eyes were on the play including the dope in the corner of the end zone. He was 10 yards from the play. How he could not see the play as a foul twice over is something which is completely inexplicable.

31 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

This play, for all intents and purposes, decided the game. The Emmanuel catch did not. This call was so far beyond the Emmanuel catch/non-catch that it isn't funny. Didn't see it? Watch the play again a few times and look at how many sets of official eyes were on the play including the dope in the corner of the end zone. He was 10 yards from the play. How he could not see the play as a foul twice over is something which is completely inexplicable.

There is no way he didn't see the play.....That ref will be cashing a check from the Ram organization.....This was blatant bull shit

I'll give you that it was more clear cut in deciding the game.  But, It was a fast play/event making human error (however gross) a somewhat reasonable excuse.  Yeah, there's a perfect slow motion video from the sideline, but in real time it was very quick and perhaps only one ref was able to get a good look at it (if he was paying attention).  Also, it was non-revieable.  The Emanuel non-catch was after review of lots of film and both went against the rules and how the rules had historically been interpreted.  Even the decision to review was questionable.  For me, the Emanuel catch was more about a decision to help one team get into the Super Bowl, and this was just a big mistake.

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

The CFL does allow review of pass interference and supposedly changed an important playoff or championship game. Are we going to review all PI and defensive holding penalties. Frankly I saw plenty of contact pass 5 yards yesterday. I saw plenty of clutching and grabbing. Ironically on the pass that Brees threw for a pick, it looked there was defensive holding and offensive PI as the WR ironically pushed him on the ground toward the ball. The ball did not appeared tipped although it was obviously affected by the near sack by Fowler.

37 minutes ago, rook said:

The CFL does allow review of pass interference and supposedly changed an important playoff or championship game. Are we going to review all PI and defensive holding penalties. Frankly I saw plenty of contact pass 5 yards yesterday. I saw plenty of clutching and grabbing. Ironically on the pass that Brees threw for a pick, it looked there was defensive holding and offensive PI as the WR ironically pushed him on the ground toward the ball. The ball did not appeared tipped although it was obviously affected by the near sack by Fowler.

The CFL, according to multiple comments today, reviewed 45 PI calls this season and overturned 20 of them.

On the pick, if the ball wasn't tipped, it's possible that Brees was out of the pocket which takes away illegal contact if it was prior to the ball coming out of Brees' hand. I don't know the answer on either  whether the ball was tipped or he was out of the pocket.

edit: I just watched it again and the ball wasn't tipped nor do I think it was interference.

The key question is whether PI is separate from defensive holding which I assume it is. One of the crazy things is they say the hold is before the ball is in the air but PI when the ball is in the air. Yet a number of PIs start out as holds and later turn into PI as the person never lets go..  Yesterday I saw holds and PI. The hold may be only a 5 yard penalty but it converts first downs on ridiculous long yardage situations. I thought Brady got a gift roughing call that Mahomes did not. Big play? Maybe but we don't know. We know that what happened or did not happen was big but that was created by all the plays they chose not to call earlier.

We are getting to the point where every play will be reviewed which will slow the game down even further. I still do not know the muff punt by Edelman was touched by him or not. It might have been right that they reversed it but that did not come close to me to meeting the idea that any type of debate on the call means the play stands. That play was definitely close to being 50-50 even though I do not think it touched him. It did not matter as the ball was picked 2 plays later. Yet I saw Edelman get crushed on a block after the pick that was a borderline head shot. Both games yesterday had a ton of close calls and others not so close that were hard to judge yesterday. Each missed call changes the outcome of the game. BTW, I do not have an answer on what to do but it clear to me that playoff games and regular season games have different rule books.

I'm not a big fan of expanding review the way the NFL's process is. If it were a quicker process, then I'd be in favor of it. The NFL turns every review into a 2 minute commercial break. On the non-call vs. the Saints, it should have taken about 10 seconds for the booth to buzz to ref, tell him it was Pass Interference and maybe also helmet to helmet, stick the ball at the 6 and go from there. But it won't happen that way.

The NFL originally saw this as a revenue generation issue for those commercials, and now they need to start thinking in terms of quality of officiating.  Maybe they could include the penalties in the mix and then make all the reviews 1 minute long from the booth.  Hell, they could even take a 'fuck it' approach in the regular season, but not the playoffs.

13 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Neither decided the game, both would have extended drives, that’s all. The Saints lost the game because they couldn’t stop the Rams late in the game, at home. Sure, they missed the call, sure the NFL needs to figure out some kind of formula to review non-calls, personally I think it would open up Pandora’s box. Here’s a thought, over the years there have been many non-calls in important games, almost every time there are claims the NFL wanted to affect the outcome, to do that they would need cooperation from the referees. So convince me that not one of these referees eventually talk. I do realize that you aren’t claiming some kind of conspiracy, but some seem to, I've been there myself. 

11 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

The NFL originally saw this as a revenue generation issue for those commercials, and now they need to start thinking in terms of quality of officiating.  Maybe they could include the penalties in the mix and then make all the reviews 1 minute long from the booth.  Hell, they could even take a 'fuck it' approach in the regular season, but not the playoffs.

A long time ago the NFL (1999!) the NFL had a time limit on the replay rule. Brian Kelly made a questionable pick against the Saints. The play was allowed to stand. Ed Hochuli (yes the same guy who screwed up in the Giants home opener in 1999) was buzzed they had an a camera angle that showed Kelly did not make the pick.It was passed the time limit and he let the call as a pick stand. One of the problems I have with replay is that National Games of the Week have more cameras and better angles than teams who typically are treated like Upper Slobbovia.

The NFC playoffs had excellent camera coverage although in the case of Edelman's muff on the punt, no camera could detect whether he touched the ball. I could make a guess on more likely than not but that is not the standard of clear and convincing that is generally needed to reverse the original call. Yet they did. I have seen plays far more conclusive than the Edelman replay where the officials let the play stand.

16 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Exactly.  The way the Bucs were moving the ball (or not moving it), there was no decent chance they would have scored.  Would have LIKED it to be played out to see, but 50/50 maybe?  The Saints call?  Three knees, chip-shot FG, 10 seconds left---ball game, trip to the Super Bowl.  The Saints got fucked worse than Tundra's pet llama has ever molested him, EVER.

2 hours ago, tb_buc said:

Neither decided the game, both would have extended drives, that’s all. 

What???  I must be misunderstanding you.  If the call would have been made against the Rams, Saints have the ball first and goal from the 6.  Force the Rams to burn their last TO, take three knees, kick a FG, and it's basically over.  I'll give you the Emanuel catch wasn't really a game-decider, but the Saints call was absolutely a game-decider.  There is zero question about this one bro.

1 hour ago, rook said:

NFC playoffs had excellent camera coverage although in the case of Edelman's muff on the punt, no camera could detect whether he touched the ball. I could make a guess on more likely than not but that is not the standard of clear and convincing that is generally needed to reverse the original call. Yet they did. I have seen plays far more conclusive than the Edelman replay where the officials let the play stand.

And hence, on this, the play should have stood as called on the field. There was nothing conclusive about that. A total fuckening  by the replay assfaces.  I know the Chiefs got the pick two or three plays later, but who is to say they wouldn't have made that play on the Pudriots next possession after the Chiefs scored? Refs are far far too impactful on the game and replay is supposed to help that. Instead it's almost making it worse. 

3 hours ago, tb_buc said:

Neither decided the game, both would have extended drives, that’s all.

unless you make the assumption the Saints were going to fumble one of 3 kneel downs or miss a 23 yard FG, the game was over with the proper interference and/or helmet to helmet call.

That's all.

4 hours ago, Craig B. said:

What???  I must be misunderstanding you.  If the call would have been made against the Rams, Saints have the ball first and goal from the 6.  Force the Rams to burn their last TO, take three knees, kick a FG, and it's basically over.  I'll give you the Emanuel catch wasn't really a game-decider, but the Saints call was absolutely a game-decider.  There is zero question about this one bro.

2 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

unless you make the assumption the Saints were going to fumble one of 3 kneel downs or miss a 23 yard FG, the game was over with the proper interference and/or helmet to helmet call.

That's all.

Why Tb-Buc YOU IGNORANT SLUT!! Wasn't watching at that time, wasn't aware of the clock. However, are we sure Schiano isn't the Rams Special teams coach....:)

Yes the call lost them the game but how many other non-calls could have helped the Rams. I watch one PI called against Baron where it was clear as day that Saints WR ran straight into him. You start reviewing PI then roughing the passer has to be included. Just think if they would review the play for us against Steelers where Ben barely gets hit and takes a second then suddenly throws himself to the ground. You might as well only have the Refs start calling holding, false starts and offsides penalties everything comes from the booth. 

Here is Burt describing the event. 

Fuck the zebras so violently hard for an infinite time with a white-hot dildo-shaped asteroid until they pray for god to unmake the universe. There will never be a worse call. 

FUCKEM. HATEM.