Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fanofdabucs

Offense wins Championships

Recommended Posts

Just now, bucs63 said:

Brady, Brees, Mahomes, ...and Goff. Any implications there? I've heard at least one expert declare it's a QB game once you're in the playoffs.

Those QB's also have offensive lines and running games. But according to the most informed of the most informed, Jameis Winston should be able to win games without those things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... offense wins championships... but the Saints sealed the game with an interception. The game is certainly driven by the offense, but defense matters.

Defense rankings by yards per game:

14. Saints
19. Rams
21. Patriots
31. Chiefs

Defense by points per game:

7. Patriots
14. Saints
20. Rams
24. Chiefs

Defense by turnovers:

3. Rams
5. Patriots
8. Chiefs
13. Saints

I would say the issue is with the stat that people use when ranking defense. When you look at turnovers and points the teams do not look so bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Those QB's also have offensive lines and running games. But according to the most informed of the most informed, Jameis Winston should be able to win games without those things. 

Jesus dude your obsession and paranoia with Winston is off the charts.

This thread has nothing to do with Winston, just pointing out that the four teams left standing all have very good offenses and I’m glad the Bucs have an offensive HC on board. 

Relax little buddy. We’re all pulling for Winston to blossom under BA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chas said:

Yeah... offense wins championships... but the Saints sealed the game with an interception. The game is certainly driven by the offense, but defense matters.

Defense rankings by yards per game:

14. Saints
19. Rams
21. Patriots
31. Chiefs

Defense by points per game:

7. Patriots
14. Saints
20. Rams
24. Chiefs

Defense by turnovers:

3. Rams
5. Patriots
8. Chiefs
13. Saints

I would say the issue is with the stat that people use when ranking defense. When you look at turnovers and points the teams do not look so bad.

Defense has been and always will be more important than offense especially in the playoffs, with the word balance also being key. The Dungy Bucs couldn't win in the playoffs because their offense was off the charts bad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chas said:

Yeah... offense wins championships... but the Saints sealed the game with an interception. The game is certainly driven by the offense, but defense matters.

Defense rankings by yards per game:

14. Saints
19. Rams
21. Patriots
31. Chiefs

Defense by points per game:

7. Patriots
14. Saints
20. Rams
24. Chiefs

Defense by turnovers:

3. Rams
5. Patriots
8. Chiefs
13. Saints

I would say the issue is with the stat that people use when ranking defense. When you look at turnovers and points the teams do not look so bad.

The reason the 4 above mentioned teams did so well in turnovers is the opposing team is always playing catch up which means they are throwing the ball over over the field.  The Bucs Defense sucked so bad that no matter how many points Fitz or Jaimis put up they were always playing from behind, combined with a lack of a running game and you have a receipt for turnovers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Boatrunner said:

The reason the 4 above mentioned teams did so well in turnovers is the opposing team is always playing catch up which means they are throwing the ball over over the field.  The Bucs Defense sucked so bad that no matter how many points Fitz or Jaimis put up they were always playing from behind, combined with a lack of a running game and you have a receipt for turnovers.  

That seems to be a bit lose in logic. The Buccaneers scored the 4th most points in the league, but that did not help with turnovers. Making the other team play from behind helps to create opportunities, but good play calling and solid play on the field create turnovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chas said:

That seems to be a bit lose in logic. The Buccaneers scored the 4th most points in the league, but that did not help with turnovers. Making the other team play from behind helps to create opportunities, but good play calling and solid play on the field create turnovers.

Having a top 5 offense didn't help because they had a bottom 5 defense-So they were always playing catch up.  If you can't run the ball you can't eat the clock, so the other team has possession then scores- We saw it throughout the season   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

The four highest scoring teams make the championship games. They also have four of the best play callers in football in McVay, Reid, McDaniels and Payton.

Should be two really good games next weekend. 

 

The Saints could not have won without their defense yesterday. They had a bad start but they played well after the first quarter. The pick of Zach Ertz was the play that turned the game around. Reminded me of John Lynch pick in the third quarter. Even then the Saints had to fake a punt and go for it on 4th down to get that first score. Just remember what the Saints D was like when they played the Bucs in Week 1.

Patriots and Rams game were definitely dominated by the offenses. KC was all around as Luck struggled against KCs defense while KC's offense dominated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In today's NFL, you should lose when you score 20 points. You do not lose when your defense holds the other team to 14. Even then they needed one of the Eagles best WR trying to play with broken ribs. 20-14 is not a high scoring game. I think the Patriots game is a better example of a game dominated by offense. It also questions the strategy of not taking the ball first. Pats strategy was to get ahead early and use the early lead to make the Chargers one dimensional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offense wins championships in this era. You can win with a decent or serviceable defense. The Bucs haven't had one of those in since forever. And while their offense looks good on paper, if you take a closer look at the turn-style offensive line and a starting running back that probably runs a 4.8 forty, you'll see that Bucs' offense has a long way to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Offense wins championships in this era. You can win with a decent or serviceable defense. The Bucs haven't had one of those in since forever. And while their offense looks good on paper, if you take a closer look at the turn-style offensive line and a starting running back that probably runs a 4.8 forty, you'll see that Bucs' offense has a long way to go. 

I never thought of Barber as slow...and he could be ...but, I do see a hard running hard working guy....But with that said ….I agree....The O-line Needs professional help...The Defense is scheme and player deficient ...I have faith that the new Arians era will make some good changes....I guess it's a rebuild ...but it doesn't feel that way.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jobuc597 said:

I never thought of Barber as slow...and he could be ...but, I do see a hard running hard working guy....But with that said ….I agree....The O-line Needs professional help...The Defense is scheme and player deficient ...I have faith that the new Arians era will make some good changes....I guess it's a rebuild ...but it doesn't feel that way.....

 

 

I really like Barber. He's just best suited for being a short yardage or change of pace back. I do like how he falls forward after contact and waits for the play to develop. Should keep him around for sure, but just not as the lead back. 

I have a ton of confidence in Arians and Bowles so while the Bucs are a perpetual loser it doesn't quite feel like a rebuild. With those two, there could be a quick turn around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

I really like Barber. He's just best suited for being a short yardage or change of pace back. I do like how he falls forward after contact and waits for the play to develop. Should keep him around for sure, but just not as the lead back. 

That's why they spent a big pick on Wojo. :facepalm

 image.jpeg.70df3817e9d898daa2d35af04709083e.jpeg

Barber is not that slow for a 225-230lb back and he was the top performing back at the combine in the drills that test for quickness and agility if that means anything now. His average fell  as the starter this year but it was miles better than Martin's 2.9 yds per carry each of his last two Buc years. And this year Martin averaged a Buc-envious 4.2 yds with those pitiful Raiders, if that means anything...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bucs63 said:

That's why they spent a big pick on Wojo. :facepalm

 image.jpeg.70df3817e9d898daa2d35af04709083e.jpeg

Barber is not that slow for a 225-230lb back and he was the top performing back at the combine in the drills that test for quickness and agility if that means anything now. His average fell  as the starter this year but it was miles better than Martin's 2.9 yds per carry each of his last two Buc years. And this year Martin averaged a Buc-envious 4.2 yds with those pitiful Raiders, if that means anything...

 

 

Thanks for splaining dat Lucy.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bucs63 said:

That's why they spent a big pick on Wojo. :facepalm

 image.jpeg.70df3817e9d898daa2d35af04709083e.jpeg

Barber is not that slow for a 225-230lb back and he was the top performing back at the combine in the drills that test for quickness and agility if that means anything now. His average fell  as the starter this year but it was miles better than Martin's 2.9 yds per carry each of his last two Buc years. And this year Martin averaged a Buc-envious 4.2 yds with those pitiful Raiders, if that means anything...

 

 

I don't have any issues with Barber but the lack of breakaway speed will hold him back. His long run in 2018 was 28 yards. By comparison, Jameis had a long run of 18 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×