Sign in to follow this  
JOEinPHX

Bowles is on board.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/bucs-finalize-contract-with-todd-bowles/

Bucs finalize contract with Todd Bowles

Posted by Josh Alper on January 9, 2019, 3:41 PM EST
GettyImages-1057314070-e1547066491977.jp
Getty Images

The Bears made their bid for his services, but Todd Bowles is headed to the Buccaneers after all.

Word on Tuesday was that Bowles would join his former boss Bruce Arians in Arizona as the defensive coordinator with his new team and there are multiple reports that the deal became official on Wednesday. Per Chris Mortensen of ESPN, working out the offset language in Bowles’ Jets contract was part of the issue with closing the deal.

Around the same time of reports that Bowles might be headed to the Bears, Arians talked about getting Bowles on board for Tampa.

“He’s another one that’s like a son to me,” Arians said on The Rich Eisen Show, via Greg Auman of The Athletic. “I was more talking to him about his future. We all get fired. I’ve been fired so many times I can’t count them all. Then it led to this. He thought hard about it. I was doing my best sell job and this happened. We’re really excited to be back together.”

Bowles takes over after a season that saw the Buccaneers finish 31st in points allowed and 27th in yards allowed, so he has both a lot of work to do and a low bar to clear for better results.

well....we will see what a well respected coach and a staff that's Regarded as competent can do.....No complaints from me....Looks like we are swinging for the fences....If we can shake some dead weight around here....Yes ...I'm talking to you Deshaun.....Grimes ...Get some pieces....we could compete..

1 hour ago, JOEinPHX said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/bucs-finalize-contract-with-todd-bowles/

Bucs finalize contract with Todd Bowles

Posted by Josh Alper on January 9, 2019, 3:41 PM EST
GettyImages-1057314070-e1547066491977.jp
Getty Images

The Bears made their bid for his services, but Todd Bowles is headed to the Buccaneers after all.

Word on Tuesday was that Bowles would join his former boss Bruce Arians in Arizona as the defensive coordinator with his new team and there are multiple reports that the deal became official on Wednesday. Per Chris Mortensen of ESPN, working out the offset language in Bowles’ Jets contract was part of the issue with closing the deal.

Around the same time of reports that Bowles might be headed to the Bears, Arians talked about getting Bowles on board for Tampa.

“He’s another one that’s like a son to me,” Arians said on The Rich Eisen Show, via Greg Auman of The Athletic. “I was more talking to him about his future. We all get fired. I’ve been fired so many times I can’t count them all. Then it led to this. He thought hard about it. I was doing my best sell job and this happened. We’re really excited to be back together.”

Bowles takes over after a season that saw the Buccaneers finish 31st in points allowed and 27th in yards allowed, so he has both a lot of work to do and a low bar to clear for better results.

JOEinPHX - how are you about all this?  Seriously interested in your take. I’m probably to the point of being irrationally giddy. 

1 hour ago, Tundra said:

JOEinPHX - how are you about all this?  Seriously interested in your take. I’m probably to the point of being irrationally giddy. 

Three points.

First, I'm happy for all you poor, dumb sonsabitches who have been suffering with this franchise since God kicked you out of the Garden of Eden.  This hire might be the break you deserve...

but second...

...one of the reasons Arians was eased out of the Cardinals organization (yes, he was eased out) was because, for whatever reason, he'd taken to working some pretty light hours.  Ownership and the front office felt that contributed significantly to two straight losing seasons, so don't buy into the popular myth that Arians unilaterally decided to hang it up.  Take his hiring in Tampa with at least one grain of salt...

and finally...

I no longer have a dog in the fight anyway.  Andy decided before the season began that 2018 would be his last year in the NFL.  The schedule doesn't allow him to be the dad he wants to be.  He's missed a tremendous amount of time with his 3-year old son.   And he missed the birth of his daughter in August because he was in Miami for the pre-season game with the Dolphins.  He headed back to Tampa as soon as he learned his wife was in labor, but labor went pretty quick and he got home too late.  So he decided to leave the league no matter what his future there might have held.  Unlike most football coaches, Andy is capable of doing many other things, so I've no doubt that he'll land on his feet in very short order.  He's already bought a house back here in Phoenix, so I'll soon have both my sons in town and unlimited grandkid access.

A little follow-up.

I see that BA has hired Keith Armstrong as ST coordinator.  Armstrong has an up and down record, recently trending mostly down, but BA knows him from way back in their Temple days.  I know the NFL is a crony league, and coaches tend to hire guys they're comfortable working with, but BA is going all-in on old connections rather than seeking out the best men available.  It's not a good sign.

And now another thing.  The team site has a slew of pix of BA arriving at One Buc, walking the halls, and looking around his new office - formerly Dirk's.  I had the pleasure and privilege of walking those halls a few times myself and I got to know most of the staff.  It really hit home, seeing those pix, that a lot of good people are suddenly on the street.  I had some good moments with Todd Monken, Ben Steele and Mark Duffner, so I'm really hoping that they and others move on successfully.

Well, Joe, first thanks for the candid take on our new love child. It’s never as good as it seems or as bad. 

Second, awesome you have your family back within a local radius. My sister has all her kids and grandkids within 20 miles of her house. It’s an amazing thing. 

Third, your dog in the fight is this band of tards here at bucschat! We need you!!! Stick around once in a while, your first hand observations of Bruce while he was with the Cardinals will be helpful when we’re overreacting. 

Glad to here your son is making the decision for Family .     All other things pale. Cheers, brother. 

6 minutes ago, Tundra said:

Well, Joe, first thanks for the candid take on our new love child. It’s never as good as it seems or as bad. 

Second, awesome you have your family back within a local radius. My sister has all her kids and grandkids within 20 miles of her house. It’s an amazing thing. 

Third, your dog in the fight is this band of tards here at bucschat! We need you!!! Stick around once in a while, your first hand observations of Bruce while he was with the Cardinals will be helpful when we’re overreacting. 

Glad to here your son is making the decision for Family .     All other things pale. Cheers, brother. 

Amen, brother Tundra.  

1 hour ago, JOEinPHX said:

Three points.

First, I'm happy for all you poor, dumb sonsabitches who have been suffering with this franchise since God kicked you out of the Garden of Eden.  This hire might be the break you deserve...

but second...

...one of the reasons Arians was eased out of the Cardinals organization (yes, he was eased out) was because, for whatever reason, he'd taken to working some pretty light hours.  Ownership and the front office felt that contributed significantly to two straight losing seasons, so don't buy into the popular myth that Arians unilaterally decided to hang it up.  Take his hiring in Tampa with at least one grain of salt...

and finally...

I no longer have a dog in the fight anyway.  Andy decided before the season began that 2018 would be his last year in the NFL.  The schedule doesn't allow him to be the dad he wants to be.  He's missed a tremendous amount of time with his 3-year old son.   And he missed the birth of his daughter in August because he was in Miami for the pre-season game with the Dolphins.  He headed back to Tampa as soon as he learned his wife was in labor, but labor went pretty quick and he got home too late.  So he decided to leave the league no matter what his future there might have held.  Unlike most football coaches, Andy is capable of doing many other things, so I've no doubt that he'll land on his feet in very short order.  He's already bought a house back here in Phoenix, so I'll soon have both my sons in town and unlimited grandkid access.

As a person who remembers almost everything I watch, I know the horrible hours that assistant coaches in the NFL work from HBO Real Sports.. Dungy was considered a softie for working his guys from 6 a., to 8 p.m. or  mostly14 hour days. I used to call Jim Mora Jr ammonia sniffer.  He was addicted  to sniffing ammonia capsule as he did not sleep more than 2 or 3  hours during the regular season. A couple of guys admitted not even going home but taking naps there and showering at the facility. The Gruden 3:17 a.m was not something he did just as a head coach. He did that as an assistant. Frankly I would have never left ESPN for the big money he is getting at Oakland. He had a life for 9 years. Now what he is doing is paying him well but what he had at ESPN was lot of money with a lot of free time. I think your son understands that more than anybody.

1 minute ago, Cantankeris said:

Must've paid dude pretty handsomely to come here vice going to the Bears, who probably had the best defense end to end in the NFL this season. That's a lot of great personnel to pass up to come to ....

Let us all hope that there is great talent here and Bowles just saw that it had been mis-coached.

Just now, Chas said:

Let us all hope that there is great talent here and Bowles just saw that it had been mis-coached.

Well that just seems to be a no brainer.  Two and a half years with Black Hole Sun video actor BigHead Mike Smith showed how NOT to coach a defense.