Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tfree32

Fixing the Rooney Rule

Recommended Posts

Interesting column today by Mike Freeman. I disagree with it a bit, as obviously teams should be able to hire whomever they want. So if the Raiders have their heart set on Gruden and kick Del Rio to the curb in order to hire him, then obviously making them interview minority candidates is a waste of time...they've already decided who they want and will just be going through the motions. It's really dumb to fire someone unless you have real confidence you can hire someone better. That will often involve having someone specific in mind before you fire the person they will replace. That's just reality and good business.

So how do you balance the desire to give more minority candidates opportunities with the reality that teams will (and should be able to) hire whomever they want? The Rooney Rule isn't working. What would work better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should we be up in arms over the Bucs interviewing a qualified coach?

I'm okay with the rule.  It gives AA coaches a foot in the door that they might otherwise not have.  In some cases, the decision has already been made and they've got no shot at the job, BUT they get the interview experience and make a connection for future jobs (at the next level or current level).  BUT, in many cases the decision hasn't been cast in stone, and if they do well enough in the interview, they'll get offered a job.  The Bucs may already have their man, but if Eric Bieniemy impresses them enough, he'll likely get a HC job offer.

As for it being racist, the goal is to counter/compensate for racial bias that is already there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate this rule.....seriously would you rather hire an inept white coach over a very capable minority coach …..The NFL is a business …...your making a decision on Millions of Dollars.....and the color of a guys face is more important then The best available coach.....Makes zero sense.....I understand the intention of the rule.....but if I'm a racist I just interview Lovie Smith and Hire Chip fucking Kelly.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Should we be up in arms over the Bucs interviewing a qualified coach?

I'm okay with the rule.  It gives AA coaches a foot in the door that they might otherwise not have.  In some cases, the decision has already been made and they've got no shot at the job, BUT they get the interview experience and make a connection for future jobs (at the next level or current level).  BUT, in many cases the decision hasn't been cast in stone, and if they do well enough in the interview, they'll get offered a job.  The Bucs may already have their man, but if Eric Bieniemy impresses them enough, he'll likely get a HC job offer.

As for it being racist, the goal is to counter/compensate for racial bias that is already there.

No one is up in arms about anything. I don’t give two fucks what color the head coaches are that they interview, and neither should the NFL.

The Jews own the team and should be allowed to hire and interview whoever they think will help them win.

I think we all understand the rules fucking intent..and it’s stupid, pointless and condescending to everyone involved. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not pointless.. there is racial bias against black head coaches and the league feels it is necessary to improve their chances of getting hired by simply making sure qualified black coaches get interviewed.  Nor does it block any owners from interviewing and hiring whoever they want.  Not sure WTF our owners' religion has to do with any of this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do realize there are only 13 Jewish owners and four of those are with the Vikings which is really against all logic because of all of them except one our team has been known to spend money. Being Jewish I am a loud to make that statement. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's completely pointless.   We've truly moved on as a society when rules like this aren't in place and qualified candidates for any job are granted interviews and hired based on their resume, and nothing more.   Giving someone an interview merely because someone is black is indeed veiled racism.    Token interview now I can interview the coach I really want......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Total fallacy.  Over 70% of jobs are filled through networking (friends), and one's ability to make a connection to a potential employer in an interview is about as important as their skill set and resume.  One of my (older) friends has gone through a lot of jobs, but he always finds jobs quickly simply because he is charismatic.  He explained it pretty well.  Once you've gotten the interview, they've decided that your resume is good enough.  The interview is where they decide whether they want to work with you.  Also, if we had moved on as a society, the proportion of black head coaches in the NCAA wouldn't be so low relative to black players and black assistant coaches.

Also, the black candidates who are interviewed are qualified.  The rule is simply getting them noticed.  It counters a bias towards white coaches that already exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Total fallacy.  Over 70% of jobs are filled through networking (friends), and one's ability to make a connection to a potential employer in an interview is about as important as their skill set and resume.  One of my (older) friends has gone through a lot of jobs, but he always finds jobs quickly simply because he is charismatic.  He explained it pretty well.  Once you've gotten the interview, they've decided that your resume is good enough.  The interview is where they decide whether they want to work with you.  Also, if we had moved on as a society, the proportion of black head coaches in the NCAA wouldn't be so low relative to black players and black assistant coaches.

Also, the black candidates who are interviewed are qualified.  The rule is simply getting them noticed.  It counters a bias towards white coaches that already exists.

Oh well... as long as one of  your older Charismatic  friends that can't keep a job explained it....No sense in debating it any longer....Just close the thread OP...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Should we be up in arms over the Bucs interviewing a qualified coach?
 

Yes.  The Bucs should only hire unqualified losers. How else will we as fans be able to proclaim that we cheer for the worst franchise is sports history?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Should we be up in arms over the Bucs interviewing a qualified coach?

I'm okay with the rule.  It gives AA coaches a foot in the door that they might otherwise not have.  In some cases, the decision has already been made and they've got no shot at the job, BUT they get the interview experience and make a connection for future jobs (at the next level or current level).  BUT, in many cases the decision hasn't been cast in stone, and if they do well enough in the interview, they'll get offered a job.  The Bucs may already have their man, but if Eric Bieniemy impresses them enough, he'll likely get a HC job offer.

As for it being racist, the goal is to counter/compensate for racial bias that is already there.

I think we need a Rooney Rule for kickers and punters. The racial bias is so evident in the league. All teams should have to audition a black kicker and punter every preseason until the same percentage is met as the average minority for all other positions. If you don’t agree your a racist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Tundra said:

Yes.  The Bucs should only hire unqualified losers. How else will we as fans be able to proclaim that we cheer for the worst franchise is sports history?!

If you were a Buc Fan during the Culverhouse era....Proclaiming worst Franchise history was so easy ….It came with your Buco Bruce the Homo jersey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this rule doesn't pressure them to hire anyone, it simply makes sure that black coaches are getting considered.  If there is no bias in the hiring process, then the best applicant will still get hired.  Also, if the owners were upset about this rule, it wouldn't exist.

Ignoring our pissing contest, would you prefer the Bucs hire Eric Bieniemy or the likely retread that will end up being our HC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say it again, unless Bieniemy is bringing Patrick with him.. What's the point? 

Sometimes ya know who ya want and have to act fast..

I think if you just dismissed a black coach, you should be exempt on your next hire.. And after two African American coaches in your ownership tenure(the Bucs have 3) then you are permanently exempted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tundra said:

A tranny should be considered every time. 

Excellent point.

I believe an Asian, Mexican , tranny..I’m sure PETA thinks a dog might be better equip to coach than say..a Lovie Smith.

# metoo

The league shouldn’t be content until 90% of their players have dark skin and are coached by a staff of dark skinned people as well.

Here’s a fucking idea! How about we stop making a big deal about the color of people’s skin?! 

If anyone thinks that in 2019 that there is a single GM or ownership group that would rather hire a under qualified white coach over a highly qualified black coach, you’re a fucking idiot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Axe said:

I'll say it again, unless Bieniemy is bringing Patrick with him.. What's the point? 

Matt Nagy didn’t bring pack a QB with him when you went to Chicago and was strapped with that bust Trubisky. All he’s done in year one is win the North.

Doug Peterson didn’t bring a QB with him and all he did in Year one is when a Super Bowl.

The point in interviewing Bienemy is because he comes from a highly regarded coaching tree in Andy Ried. He also has been successful at every stop as a RB coach and run game coordinator. 

Bienemy is highly qualified and deserves a look. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Feel free to look up any research on which applicants get hired.

Feel free to see how different the NFL is different then every other business in the world..with the exception of some other sports businesses..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jobuc597 said:

Feel free to see how different the NFL is different then every other business in the world..with the exception of some other sports businesses..

Someone made some claims in regards to how people are hired these days, and I pointed out it wasn't actually true.  Yeah, the hiring of NFL players is a science, BUT GMs and head coaches especially by non-elite teams?!!  Sorry, but bias and familiarity kick in plenty there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×