Sign in to follow this  
Seafarer

Head Coach

I have been debating this since the middle of the season because the offense has been good and once the defense finally got DC that would make some changes the team looked pretty good. I think once the season is done and you look at the back and forth at QB and then some of the bone head decisions that were made like not calling timeout last week if you have to let him go and start fresh. You also have to look at the GM to and question some of the draft picks he brought in and why we did not bring in a safety this year to help bring more veteran leadership to the DB position. 

Blow it all up again.

New GM. New Head Coach. If you can retain Monken and Buckner, fine - they were the only 2 that produced anything that resembled coaching this year.

Fuck me Larry. Another Head Coach. 50-94 since Gruden.

This franchise could fuck up an anvil in a room full of cotton.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:51 PM, tfree32 said:

Interesting that Mike Tomlin may be available. He has history here, a connection to Dungy, and a Super Bowl win. Even with his limitations as a head coach, I could see the Glazers considering bringing him in. 

Got the love of God let’s please not look at potential coaches based on their connection to Tony Dungy. I’ve got an idea, how many are connected to Kevin Bacon.....

I question what Mike Tomlin could actually do with a team he would have to build. He walked in to the Steelers with a QB and pretty good OC and DC plus the same GM before he even took over that had built teams prior to his arrival. He was thrown into a winning organization not one that we have. 

4 hours ago, tb_buc said:

Got the love of God let’s please not look at potential coaches based on their connection to Tony Dungy. I’ve got an idea, how many are connected to Kevin Bacon.....

Herm, Marinelli, Lovie, Jim Caldwell, Tomlin and Leslie Frazier.

That's one decrepit tree.

On 12/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Herm, Marinelli, Lovie, Jim Caldwell, Tomlin and Leslie Frazier.

That's one decrepit tree.

Don’t be mean to trees. In fact, a tree might motivate the players to play every snap better that Koentter had and would know how to run a practice that wasn’t sloppy better than the Koentster. 

I think you have to clean house of most of the players as well. The loser mentality is contagious. So keep a few young and talented guys on each side of the ball and try to get the losers out of the fucking locker room. Then draft and sign guys from winning programs who absolutely hate losing and refuse to accept mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I think Will is piggybacking Jay Glazer's report from earlier today.

Could be. But from his Twitter profile, he could also be connected. Hard to tell. But I doubt we can spring Harbaugh from Michigan. My guess is we strike out on him and a few others and end up hiring Raheem again.

6 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

There's apparent chatter that teams (not named) are attempting to trade for John Harbaugh as well. That's a move I'd hope the Bucs would stay away from although I think he's a very good coach.

Maybe I have this wrong but I could have sworn the league made it against the rules to trade for a coach a year or two after the Bucs got Gruden.  Do I have that wrong or did they undo it maybe?

7 minutes ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

Maybe I have this wrong but I could have sworn the league made it against the rules to trade for a coach a year or two after the Bucs got Gruden.  Do I have that wrong or did they undo it maybe?

It can still be done but with compensation IIRC. This subject always comes up when there's mention of a potential coach change and it always ends up with the conclusion that you can still do it. I think it may have been something the league was considering outlawing but never did. Not sure it was the Gruden situation which drove the discussion either. May have been Herm Edwards moving to the Chiefs from the Jets?

34 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

It can still be done but with compensation IIRC. This subject always comes up when there's mention of a potential coach change and it always ends up with the conclusion that you can still do it. I think it may have been something the league was considering outlawing but never did. Not sure it was the Gruden situation which drove the discussion either. May have been Herm Edwards moving to the Chiefs from the Jets?

I remember it the way RMC does, but apparently it can still happen for a head coach with the compensation and with the new team working out a contract with the coach. So I don't think a coach would hear about it on the news or whatnot like Gruden said he did.

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

My recollection was that Rich McKay was on the rules committee, and after the Gruden trade, he had a rule put in place where coaches/GMs could not be traded.  It might have been temporary, and it might have involved financial compensation only.

You bastards were going to make me look no matter what weren't you??? As I mentioned, this comes up every few years when there's a rumor of a coach being traded and there are posts on whatever platform that we all (me included) remember something about a coach can't be traded and that McKay was involved and all that shit. Then when we look it up it turns out that it can be done. There's no reference to it that I have been able to find which ever put a stop to it. What I think may have happened was that there was some talk of it but nothing ever was really ever changed. If anyone can find anything more substantial, I'm all ears.  At any rate here is a Florio article from a few years ago in which he also references readers stating that coaches can't be traded:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/02/teams-can-still-trade-for-head-coaches/