Sign in to follow this  
Tundra

Who Coaches the Bucs in 2019?

What a shit show.  Part of me wants to retain three of the assistants, who it seems like are hamshackeled by Koetter's philosophies.  Monken is definitely calling plays more conservatively and that is certainly on orders from Koetter.  Buckner probably wants to kill something in frustration, and Fuddner deserves a nice blowjob for the way he's gotten the defense to play less shitty. I actually wouldn't mind a radical shift -- I know Buck hasn't been an NFL HC or even coordinator but I don't care. Monken and Fuddner seem like great coordinators who know tactically how to get the team to play on both sides of the ball. Buckner would be the Leader of Men that the Bucs desperately need, that Koetter has proven he is not. 

Name Buck HC, Monken OC and Fuddner DC. There's an option. 

Then retreads -- Mike McCarthy didn't have shit to work with in Green Bay other than Aaron Rodgers, I don't suppose I'd mind his getting a chance to fix Jameis.  Gary Kubiak may be healthy enough to give it a try -- he is a very good balanced HC.  Bruce Arians might be too ill for a comeback but I'd love to see him on the Bucs sideline. 

Ron Rivera? No fucking thank you. We already went inside the division to get KoetterSmith and that has turned out fucked. 

Jim Caldwell? Hmmm. Maybe.  I don't know, mixed bag there, maybe too comatose like Louvre Smith. 

Jim Schwartz? Please no. I hated his crosseyed ass when he was the Lions HC. 

Get The Jaw (Cowher) out of retirement? Ain't happening. 

Go to college? No. 

The options I like are the ones listed before Rivera. 

What say you Capons?

5 hours ago, Tundra said:

What a shit show. 

What say you Capons?

If it's known the Glazers are actively searching now for the next career to kill, with Dirk not fired, they better do it. Or else it could be worse.

I've always said a cookie, once dunked, cannot go back in the jar.

But when the these stunods get blown off by coaches with promise or experience, do they keep him? And do they have to extend his contract to show confidence?

Shocking? Desperate? Yeah, crazy too. Yet maybe better than some OC, DC, or college coach willing to sit on the Glazers lap. It may be the least likely scenario, but I'll keep it on the list of disappointments to come.

Go bucs

Well, the Glazers just fired Jose Mourinho as Manchester United manager, maybe he's a possibility since the Glazers sill owe him money.

Seriously though, if Koetter is let go, I guess I could live with Mike McCarthy or David Shaw if he decides to leave Stanford for the NFL.

Went from an experienced SB winning coach to an inexperienced position coach.

Went from an undisciplined and immature head coach to a toe on the lines dictator.

Went from the control crazy college coach to the well-traveled player's coach.

Went from the former defensive 'genius' to an offensive 'genius'.

If history's any indication, the Glazers will do a complete 180 when moving on from Koetter. That would mean names like Kris Richard, Ron Rivera, Steve Spagnola, etc..

And, tundra, love you buddy but Buckner as head coach would be a replay of Raheem Morris. He's not even close to being ready.

I honestly think you need a legit Director of Football Operations to control everything. Shelton Quarles is either a lame duck or has no fucking clue. I envision someone who has the final say-so on any players added or sent packing, coaches, and everything else associated with running a team. As far as coaching goes, after seeing how Koetter has responded to heat, get him the fuck out of the kitchen. He isn't "strong" enough to be a head coach. Duffner has had the defense playing better in comparison to Big Head Mike and the Monsters, but I ain't sold on him either. The Defensive Line has played relatively well and I feel like Vita Vea is progressing, so I would retain Brentson Buckner at all costs, because his unit is at least responding (EXCEPT WHEN THEY ARE ON THE FIELD FOR 45 MINUTES OF A FUCKING 60 MINUTE GAME). The idea of Todd Monken doesn't excite me at all, but he has done pretty well with offensive playcalling (when it wasn't taken away by Koettard). I can't help but think he's a lifetime coordinator.

So who is it. Who would I pick? What would I suggest?

If you couldn't persuade Dungy to take the director position, maybe a Derrick Brooks or at the bare minimum, untie the hands of Quarles, because who the fuck knows what kind of job he might do. Jason Licht has to go because he is almost as bad as Dumbfuckinick. I don't honestly know who I would peg as head coach. I have no idea at this stage. Tundra mentioned Jim Schwartz. The guy can coach a defense, no doubt about it, but he is probably another one of those guys that are better fitted as a coordinator (like Koetter). I dunno. Or I don't care. Pick.

Dungy won't return to a regular NFL gig and, if he did, I don't think his heart would really be invested. I don't know of anything Derrick Brooks has done in the game outside of a HOF career that gets him a front office position. Amongst other things he's doing some behind the scenes PR stuff for the Lightning. Shaking a few hands seems to be what he does best. Quarles? He's a personnel guy. What is apparent with the personnel which would give anyone pause to say anyone has been doing a job which has them run an organization. Jason Licht's background was very good. There was no reason to think it wouldn't work but it hasn't.

There will never be a person between the GM (or whatever title the decision maker is given) and the Glazers. The thought that the Glazers are in the background and not involved in decisions has always been one that I've thought false. They are quiet and stay out of the limelight but they are involved and probably to a level none of us would ever want to know about.

Monken? No. He basically was calling plays for Koetter's offense. I don't see what he provides. If the Bucs are going to change coaches, they should change out the entire staff. I prefer it wasn't a retread but my guess is that it will be. With all that on who I don't think it should be, I haven't come up with anyone I think it should be.

6 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Went from an experienced SB winning coach to an inexperienced position coach.

Went from an undisciplined and immature head coach to a toe on the lines dictator.

Went from the control crazy college coach to the well-traveled player's coach.

Went from the former defensive 'genius' to an offensive 'genius'.

If history's any indication, the Glazers will do a complete 180 when moving on from Koetter. That would mean names like Kris Richard, Ron Rivera, Steve Spagnola, etc..

And, tundra, love you buddy but Buckner as head coach would be a replay of Raheem Morris. He's not even close to being ready.

Buck is nowhere the same as Raheehaw. Buck doesn't give a shit what anyone on the team thinks of him, he is there to get production out of the players and whether it's Gerald McCoy, Nohaa Spence, or even JPP,  he'll get in your grill if he thinks you need it. Raheehaw would play rap music and go to the bars with his favorite players. Buck is all business. Was at Arizona. Has been with the Bucs. He has the edge we've been lacking. What he lacks in experience he makes up for in passion, energy, and knowing how people respond to different stimuli. Buck may not get the job but to equate him to Raheehaw isn't a fair comparison at all.  Bucs is a leader of men. Raheehaw was everyone's buddy.  Vastly different when we are looking for a Leader of the team. 

9 hours ago, Tundra said:

Buck is nowhere the same as Raheehaw. Buck doesn't give a shit what anyone on the team thinks of him, he is there to get production out of the players and whether it's Gerald McCoy, Nohaa Spence, or even JPP,  he'll get in your grill if he thinks you need it. Raheehaw would play rap music and go to the bars with his favorite players. Buck is all business. Was at Arizona. Has been with the Bucs. He has the edge we've been lacking. What he lacks in experience he makes up for in passion, energy, and knowing how people respond to different stimuli. Buck may not get the job but to equate him to Raheehaw isn't a fair comparison at all.  Bucs is a leader of men. Raheehaw was everyone's buddy.  Vastly different when we are looking for a Leader of the team. 

Well, Nassib's played well. And JPP has done what he always does. But, I just haven't seen enough consistency from the d-line to have a lot of confidence in Buckner. You might be right in the sense that he's no nonsense and holds players to a high standard. Greg Schiano did the same thing. You need a lot more to be a good head coach. In fairness, maybe Buckner has it. But, when you're in the midst of an 11 year playoff drought and have gone 16 years without a playoff win, the next move you make better be the right one. Buck's a roll of the dice.

2 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Well, Nassib's played well. And JPP has done what he always does. But, I just haven't seen enough consistency from the d-line to have a lot of confidence in Buckner. You might be right in the sense that he's no nonsense and holds players to a high standard. Greg Schiano did the same thing. You need a lot more to be a good head coach. In fairness, maybe Buckner has it. But, when you're in the midst of an 11 year playoff drought and have gone 16 years without a playoff win, the next move you make better be the right one. Buck's a roll of the dice.

Buckner's work is showing up, first because Mike Smith was holding everyone back.  When receivers were running wide open in the first second after the snap, the quick strike passing game teams were using against the Yucs gave the DL no time to get to the QB. Now that there has been some more press coverage, the DL has improved, also the emergence of Vea is helping quite a bit.   

But you are right, he is not going to get the job. I do think the Glazers will interview him, at least because of the Rooney Rule.    Then they'll hire someone else who will come in and go 8-24 over the next two seasons. 

Just now, Tundra said:

Buckner's work is showing up, first because Mike Smith was holding everyone back.  When receivers were running wide open in the first second after the snap, the quick strike passing game teams were using against the Yucs gave the DL no time to get to the QB. Now that there has been some more press coverage, the DL has improved, also the emergence of Vea is helping quite a bit.   

But you are right, he is not going to get the job. I do think the Glazers will interview him, at least because of the Rooney Rule.    Then they'll hire someone else who will come in and go 8-24 over the next two seasons. 

No problems with him as defensive coordinator, but I don't think that happens either. 

32 minutes ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

That only happens if Licht's retained. Is Arians worth keeping Licht around? Also, he's 66 years old. Would you want to deal with this cluster of a franchise during the last few years of your career? He'll be a hot commodity. 

He is also of questionable health -- BUT he knows Licht, they are friends, and he is said to be high on Jameis. Not in the drug sense but rather in his opinion of skill and potential. 

12 minutes ago, Tundra said:

He is also of questionable health -- BUT he knows Licht, they are friends, and he is said to be high on Jameis. Not in the drug sense but rather in his opinion of skill and potential. 

The part about Winston is why he's most appealing. Despite the supposed 'great' relationship in 2015, never got the sense that Koetter and Winston were on the same page; that was magnified in 2017 when the wheels came off and the relationship's been shitty (despite Jameis' recent comments). If Arians believes in Winston and can get him to take the next step, then it becomes a slam dunk hire. Unfortunately, we're talking about the Glazers so we shouldn't hold our breath.

8 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

The part about Winston is why he's most appealing. Despite the supposed 'great' relationship in 2015, never got the sense that Koetter and Winston were on the same page; that was magnified in 2017 when the wheels came off and the relationship's been shitty (despite Jameis' recent comments). If Arians believes in Winston and can get him to take the next step, then it becomes a slam dunk hire. Unfortunately, we're talking about the Glazers so we shouldn't hold our breath.

I agree. I always thought Koetter wanted Mariotta and not Winston.

I'd like to see Jim Harbaugh interview here.

I'd like to see Mike McCarthy interview here.

Either would be an upgrade, because both have had far more wins than losses.  I think McCarthy will bounce back quickly in the NFL.  I think Jim Harbaugh is a more talented coach than his brother.  

I don't have anyone else on the list, really - but I do think that promoting an existing assistant again would be a problem.   

Jim Harbaugh isn't a Glazer.  Ain't happening. 

I would be OK with McCarthy. 

Tomlin is my current wank fantasy. (He is riding a llama.) 

Bruce Arians or Jim Kubiak would be nice, health permitting. 

Please please please NOT FUCKING RON FUCKING RIVERA.  Nothing kills my Tomlin boner worse than thinking about Ron Fucking Rivera. 

Wild card -- what if they were to give Wade Phillips a call, with the stipulation  that he keep Monken around to really run the offense?