Sign in to follow this  
tfree32

What To Do With Winston?

What to do with Winston?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Sign him, trade him, other?

• He’s the future of the franchise. Sign him to a big money long-term deal.
    • It’s too soon to dump him. Keep him around for next year. See how he does and then decide on the long-term deal.
    • He’s done here. Get what we can for him in trade and move on this offseason.

The guy pisses me off sometimes to no end, but I think you almost have to ride with Winston; unless you have a capable person in your sites and can pour less money into them, while using the money saved to address the O-Line.

Give me a solid O-Line and a QB like a Nick Foles, Alex Smith, or even a Teddy Bridgewater and watch the offense become as explosive and more consistent. Winston has the capability to win games by himself (so to speak)......but he also has the ability to lose them himself as well. He is too inconsistent for my liking. Then again, some of that could be contributed to such a shitty O-Line.

7 hours ago, Pass the Fentanyl said:

I don't get the logic that the QB needs to be elite or needs to be off the team. Bizarre.

I wish there had been more of this type of thinking when the Bucs drafted Winston in the first place. Neither he nor Mariota were anything close to a sure thing, but at that time, there was this girlish angst to use that pick on a QB no matter what. 

8 hours ago, Pass the Fentanyl said:

I don't get the logic that the QB needs to be elite or needs to be off the team. Bizarre.

It depends on what you pay the quarterback. If it’s not that much, you can surround him with talent and win despite him being mediocre. If it’s a lot, then he needs to truly be elite to justify the 2-3 other great players you can’t afford because of his contract.

It’s trickier with someone like Winston, who is both mediocre and wildly inconsistent. His stretches of poor play and multiple turnover games would make it tough to string together wins, especially in the playoffs. 

I think you can win with a consistently mediocre QB if you surround him with lots of talent. I think it’s nearly impossible to win, especially consistently, with a mediocre and inconsistent QB like Winston. 

1 hour ago, SamuraiBuc said:

The guy pisses me off sometimes to no end, but I think you almost have to ride with Winston; unless you have a capable person in your sites and can pour less money into them, while using the money saved to address the O-Line.

Give me a solid O-Line and a QB like a Nick Foles, Alex Smith, or even a Teddy Bridgewater and watch the offense become as explosive and more consistent. Winston has the capability to win games by himself (so to speak)......but he also has the ability to lose them himself as well. He is too inconsistent for my liking. Then again, some of that could be contributed to such a shitty O-Line.

Foles in spots yes. The other two no. I get your point but Winston, when everything is taken into consideration, is probably no better or worse than the first two and Bridgewater we know next to nothing about at this point.

1 hour ago, SamuraiBuc said:

Me neither. See Brad Johnson. Trent Dilfer. Mark Rypien. And on and on and on.

QBs don't have to be Tom Brady to win a Super Bowl.

True but you're point out three instances over a long period of time. A better QB helps and the need to have one should be out there. Most teams who are highly competitive have a pretty good QB. My point is that you can have a non-elite (top 10 fwiw) QB and have a solid team. Most of the guys below that have their warts in some fashion or another however they are serviceable.

One of the keys in the Winston saga is who the coach is. A coach who prefers more of a quick passing game does not play to Winston's strengths at all which is getting the ball downfield. I'm also not sure the Bucs have the WRs who would best fit into that type of system since size is valued over speed for the most part with the roster. However, most offenses these days are some form of a quick passing game whether they are successful or not.

49 minutes ago, UncleBuc said:

Winston needs to be in a run first play action offense.     Replace Dak with JW and the CBoys are a major threat.

Wasn’t the party line that Winston needed more weapons? So we load up with Evans, Godwin, Jackson, Brate, and Howard, giving him what’s probably the best set of receivers to work with in the league.And he still sucks.

Now we’re told he just needs a power running game to run play action...so now we need a superior running back and offensive line before he can be successful.

So if we have Pro Bowl candidates at the other 10 positions on offense....MAYBE he’ll be able to get it done?

😂

Dak is a mediocre talent but a hell of a leader in the locker room. Replace Dak with Winston and the Cowboys would be worse. 

Winston's next coach will help him get to the level his fans believe he is capable. I hope that happens with the Bucs.  His own boneheadedness regarding off the field bullshit made far more impact on him and his relationships on the team than anyone realized.  Now he and Dirk are stale. Jameis is not learning anything from these rice cake fuckers anymore. Give him a fresh one year with someone else and see what happens. 

Fuck it, it's the Bucs. You know the team isn't going to win more than 6 games next season anyway no matter what hapens this offseason. 

1 hour ago, tfree32 said:

Wasn’t the party line that Winston needed more weapons? So we load up with Evans, Godwin, Jackson, Brate, and Howard, giving him what’s probably the best set of receivers to work with in the league.And he still sucks.

Now we’re told he just needs a power running game to run play action...so now we need a superior running back and offensive line before he can be successful.

So if we have Pro Bowl candidates at the other 10 positions on offense....MAYBE he’ll be able to get it done?

😂

Dak is a mediocre talent but a hell of a leader in the locker room. Replace Dak with Winston and the Cowboys would be worse. 

Jesus tap dancing Christ...

Only people I really ever heard saying he needed more weapons was the coaching staff/GM.  Remember we had Vjax, Evans, ASJ and Doug Martin.  There were weapons.  One thing that I have read and watch and have heard he needs better coaching and the other thing is, especially in here, is that he needs a OFFENSIVE LINE.  Our offensive line is offensive.  Regardless of the most informed in here...SMITH IS SHIT.  Marpet is pretty good, then Jenson seems to wanna shoot the team in the foot with his stupid bullshit personal fouls and holds at inopportune times but is ok...not highest paid center in the NFL ok, but ok.  However, the rest of the line is absolute shit.  Not just in pass protection but also in run blocking.  

Finally our coaching.  The head coach is and always has been way way over his head.  I have said that, although not necessarily in here, since day one.  He was a poor choice after they fired Lovie, who I though was a poor choice as well.  Sure he has a great play book, but nothing ever changes.  Someone earlier says Winston sucks in the second half of games.  Well that's because the plays, regardless or who is calling them, are the same.  Nothing is adjusted.  Nothing changes in the play mix.  Do the fucking math.  Shit O-Line.  No running game, much less a threat of one, play book that hasn't really changed to the strengths of the players.  What do you get?  SUCKENING pure and simple.

Tree-Your obsession and constant hate of Winston is funny...in a look at-the-weird-guy-hating-on-a-football-player kinda way.  You even said we should get Sam Bradford here to replace Winston.  AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Sam fucking-cant-take-three-game-snaps-without-going-on-IR Bradford.  Jesus wept, son.  It stems from you not liking Winstons' character.  I get it.  I think the entire board does.  I mean you get so jazzed about posting how much you hate Winston.  One thing that I don't get about all the Winston naysayers is even when he shines he sucks.  When he sucks, I say it out loud that he sucks the chrome off trailer hitches.  Fucking want to shoot him right in the pussy.  However there have been some decent games by him and you are silent as are most naysayers.  The jury is still out on Winston.  He has an uphill challenge in front of him.  But if we shit can him here, he will go on and be a Super Bowl Champion somewhere else.  Bank it, twink.  Maybe find a new team while you are at it...

Just my $0.02....  Your milage may vary very, verily I say unto you.

Carry on.  😉

5 hours ago, MrBlaque666 said:

Only people I really ever heard saying he needed more weapons was the coaching staff/GM.  Remember we had Vjax, Evans, ASJ and Doug Martin.  There were weapons.  One thing that I have read and watch and have heard he needs better coaching and the other thing is, especially in here, is that he needs a OFFENSIVE LINE.  Our offensive line is offensive.  Regardless of the most informed in here...SMITH IS SHIT.  Marpet is pretty good, then Jenson seems to wanna shoot the team in the foot with his stupid bullshit personal fouls and holds at inopportune times but is ok...not highest paid center in the NFL ok, but ok.  However, the rest of the line is absolute shit.  Not just in pass protection but also in run blocking.  

Finally our coaching.  The head coach is and always has been way way over his head.  I have said that, although not necessarily in here, since day one.  He was a poor choice after they fired Lovie, who I though was a poor choice as well.  Sure he has a great play book, but nothing ever changes.  Someone earlier says Winston sucks in the second half of games.  Well that's because the plays, regardless or who is calling them, are the same.  Nothing is adjusted.  Nothing changes in the play mix.  Do the fucking math.  Shit O-Line.  No running game, much less a threat of one, play book that hasn't really changed to the strengths of the players.  What do you get?  SUCKENING pure and simple.

Tree-Your obsession and constant hate of Winston is funny...in a look at-the-weird-guy-hating-on-a-football-player kinda way.  You even said we should get Sam Bradford here to replace Winston.  AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Sam fucking-cant-take-three-game-snaps-without-going-on-IR Bradford.  Jesus wept, son.  It stems from you not liking Winstons' character.  I get it.  I think the entire board does.  I mean you get so jazzed about posting how much you hate Winston.  One thing that I don't get about all the Winston naysayers is even when he shines he sucks.  When he sucks, I say it out loud that he sucks the chrome off trailer hitches.  Fucking want to shoot him right in the pussy.  However there have been some decent games by him and you are silent as are most naysayers.  The jury is still out on Winston.  He has an uphill challenge in front of him.  But if we shit can him here, he will go on and be a Super Bowl Champion somewhere else.  Bank it, twink.  Maybe find a new team while you are at it...

Carry on.  😉

When you say the jury's still out on Winston, I'm unclear if that's just an expression or he has some more pending sexual assault charges he's been charged with.

It amazes me that so many Bucs fans seem satisfied with having him as our starter. I have trouble rooting for a rapist who continually rapes and disrespects women. I have trouble rooting for an idiot who sounds like an illiterate clown every time he speaks. I have trouble rooting for dumb players who make the same mistakes over and over.

I floated the idea of adding a couple of guys like Bradford on short-term small contracts as a bridge while we draft and develop our next franchise QB. That was before it was made clear that Bradford's knee is shot. 

Find me a QB that excels without an effective offensive line and within an offense that typically abandons the running game after the first quarter.

I can think of two.

Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

I'll be waiting for someone to provide another name. So it would look like the most informed's standard for Jameis is two HOF'ers who are consistently mentioned among the top 5 or 10 best QB's of all time.

Glad we cleared it up.

Also, can we pipe the fuck down about all the 'weapons' that Licht's surrounded Jameis with.

Desean Jackson's been an epic failure and the moment he leaves Tampa, it's addition by subtraction. Chris Godwin's a nice player but in his first real opportunity at extended action, he's developed a terrible case of drops. Evans is good, but he's not elite IMHO. Too much helmet tapping and bitching to the refs. Hump is very solid and a reliable target but he's not keeping defensive coordinators up at night. Howard as a rookie was mediocre and while he projected to have a huge 2019, he's been hurt. Brate took two steps back this year.

The offensive line is consistently the other team's MVP.

And the running game doesn't exist.

7 hours ago, MrBlaque666 said:

Carry on.  😉

Image result for rolling on the floor laughing  gif

Image result for applause   gif

"Jesus tap dancing Christ?" :ROTFLMAO:

Well written brother. Excellent post. 

4 hours ago, tfree32 said:

When you say the jury's still out on Winston, I'm unclear if that's just an expression or he has some more pending sexual assault charges he's been charged with.

It amazes me that so many Bucs fans seem satisfied with having him as our starter. I have trouble rooting for a rapist who continually rapes and disrespects women. I have trouble rooting for an idiot who sounds like an illiterate clown every time he speaks. I have trouble rooting for dumb players who make the same mistakes over and over.

I floated the idea of adding a couple of guys like Bradford on short-term small contracts as a bridge while we draft and develop our next franchise QB. That was before it was made clear that Bradford's knee is shot. 

There's a couple of FSU homers on the board who stick up for Winston but the vast majority of those who offer an opinion on him basically discuss next year and next year only in a "there's no one else" sense. So you're arguing with a non existant foe for the most part.

4 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Also, can we pipe the fuck down about all the 'weapons' that Licht's surrounded Jameis with.

Desean Jackson's been an epic failure and the moment he leaves Tampa, it's addition by subtraction. Chris Godwin's a nice player but in his first real opportunity at extended action, he's developed a terrible case of drops. Evans is good, but he's not elite IMHO. Too much helmet tapping and bitching to the refs. Hump is very solid and a reliable target but he's not keeping defensive coordinators up at night. Howard as a rookie was mediocre and while he projected to have a huge 2019, he's been hurt. Brate took two steps back this year.

Evans is an elite receiver. Godwin's been a bit of a disappointment as of late and Brate's had way too many drops this season and....since he is a key 3rd down and red zone option for Winston in particular.....those drops have really hurt.

I think you're selling Howard short although his injuries are a legit issue. Hump is as reliable as they come. My thoughts on Jackson rival tfree's thoughts on Winston. I simply don't like the guy and that would be the case if he put up a 1500 yard season so I'm not the best person to comment on his play on the field. The Bucs do not have a reliable receiving back.

All toll, there are plenty of options for any QB but the lack of a dynamic running back or, at least, running game hurts the QB in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

disagree with two things Evans is elite and Humps is the man!!!!!Besides that your pretty close Godwin has forgot how to catch the ball very disappointing...and fuck DJAX with Tundras Llama  poopy poker  

7 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

There's a couple of FSU homers on the board who stick up for Winston but the vast majority of those who offer an opinion on him basically discuss next year and next year only in a "there's no one else" sense. So you're arguing with a non existant foe for the most part.

I think you’re understating the level of support from some here. I freely admit to my contempt for Winston, both as a dumb and mistake prone quarterback and as a dumb and horrible human being. But there are at least a few here who reflexively defend him at every turn. 

It just seems to me that Winston is very consistent with his lack of accuracy, and his problem isn't pressure, a poor OL, or football IQ.   I don't see him as a QB who chokes, but rather his passes are inaccurate, and occasionally they get picked off.  I don't hate him, but I think he ends up as a mid tier starter in the league.

53 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

I think you’re understating the level of support from some here. I freely admit to my contempt for Winston, both as a dumb and mistake prone quarterback and as a dumb and horrible human being. But there are at least a few here who reflexively defend him at every turn. 

There may be two of them and one of you. Big deal.

39 minutes ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

It just seems to me that Winston is very consistent with his lack of accuracy, and his problem isn't pressure, a poor OL, or football IQ.   I don't see him as a QB who chokes, but rather his passes are inaccurate, and occasionally they get picked off.  I don't hate him, but I think he ends up as a mid tier starter in the league.

I think that’s his upside. His downside is a rapier hybrid of Jay Cutler and Josh Freeman.