Sign in to follow this  
tfree32

What To Do With Winston?

What to do with Winston?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Sign him, trade him, other?

• He’s the future of the franchise. Sign him to a big money long-term deal.
    • It’s too soon to dump him. Keep him around for next year. See how he does and then decide on the long-term deal.
    • He’s done here. Get what we can for him in trade and move on this offseason.

I don't like Winston because of his off field issues.  I am not one of those who don't care about the character of the player as long as he wins, but even there Winston is just not making it.

He plays great, then ok, then amazing, then sucks, then sucks some more, then he's okay again, then wash, rinse, repeat.

I want to watch football again, but, damn this game is so different these days.  Nobody can play defense anymore.

And local talk radio sucks balls.  I thought Dumpig was bad but I tried to listen after the game a few times this year.  Clayton is so fucking annoying on 620.  THIS guy tries to come off as having experience and as such that his asinine opinion should be listened too.  Fuck me.  

I can't, I just can't.  ymmv

1 minute ago, mathman said:

I don't like Winston because of his off field issues.  I am not one of those who don't care about the character of the player as long as he wins, but even there Winston is just not making it.

He plays great, then ok, then amazing, then sucks, then sucks some more, then he's okay again, then wash, rinse, repeat.

I want to watch football again, but, damn this game is so different these days.  Nobody can play defense anymore.

And local talk radio sucks balls.  I thought Dumpig was bad but I tried to listen after the game a few times this year.  Clayton is so fucking annoying on 620.  THIS guy tries to come off as having experience and as such that his asinine opinion should be listened too.  Fuck me.  

I can't, I just can't.  ymmv

I would listen to Duemig 100-1 over Clayton. The guy is a complete asshat.

At this point, there is no hope for this franchise as long as the Tripletwits own the team, Licht is the GM, and unfortunately Koetter is the head coach. That means yet another regime change that will more than likely end in the exact same scenario as it has the last 5 times its been gutted and revamped.

To fix this team, the Glazers can't own it. Until that is fixed, get used to seeing the same thing over and over again.

3 hours ago, Seminoleboy said:

Yes, clearly Fitzpatrick would have been better............oopse!

The thing with Fitz is that there was hope that eventually the Fitzmagic would return.  Has Winston ever played lights out football as a Buc?  Has their been a game where he dominated.  Remember that NFL game where nobody could stop Winston?  Fitz fluctuates from best in the league to scrub, and Winston fluctuates from decent to poor.  Pick your poison.  And yes, I'm on board with playing Winston, but if it wasn't due to his upside (youth), it would be a coin toss between the two.

36 minutes ago, SamuraiBuc said:

I would listen to Duemig 100-1 over Clayton. The guy is a complete asshat.

At this point, there is no hope for this franchise as long as the Tripletwits own the team, Licht is the GM, and unfortunately Koetter is the head coach. That means yet another regime change that will more than likely end in the exact same scenario as it has the last 5 times its been gutted and revamped.

To fix this team, the Glazers can't own it. Until that is fixed, get used to seeing the same thing over and over again.

Agreed. I keep thinking if we flush the coaching staff and most of the players and start over we'd be better off. But we'd still be stuck with the Glazers.

1 hour ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

The thing with Fitz is that there was hope that eventually the Fitzmagic would return.  Has Winston ever played lights out football as a Buc?  Has their been a game where he dominated.  Remember that NFL game where nobody could stop Winston?  Fitz fluctuates from best in the league to scrub, and Winston fluctuates from decent to poor.  Pick your poison.  And yes, I'm on board with playing Winston, but if it wasn't due to his upside (youth), it would be a coin toss between the two.

Yes but not enough of them. Plus his best games are generally the games when the defense sucked. Exceptions was the Bucs 45-17 win over the Eagles in 2015. 5 TDs and no picks. Had a great opener against Atlanta in 2016. I thought one of the best games he played was in 2016 when the Bucs won only 19-17 against KC. The 36-10 win over Chicago was fairly solid even though that scramble and long pass to Evans had the potential to be the biggest dumb ass play of the year.

In that Eagles game Martin had 240 yards, our running game had nearly 300 total.   His stats were good, but I'm not sure this is a game I'd say Winston took over in the way that Favre and Marino did so many times.

Anyway, I don't hate Winston and I'm definitely not a Fitz fan after this season, but Winston is much of an upgrade.

Sunday pretty much summed up the entire season.

Offensive line owned when it mattered. Heavy dose of Barber early in the game only to see less and less of him in the second half. Mike Evans wasting more energy bitching and whining than he does catching passes. Chris Godwin's butter fingers. Evans and Winston not on the same page. Defense unable to get off the field when the game was in the balance. Special teams sucks. Blow it the hell up.

10 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

In that Eagles game Martin had 240 yards, our running game had nearly 300 total.   His stats were good, but I'm not sure this is a game I'd say Winston took over in the way that Favre and Marino did so many times.

Anyway, I don't hate Winston and I'm definitely not a Fitz fan after this season, but Winston is much of an upgrade.

Marino made the Super Bowl once and got clobbered by a well balanced 49er team that could run and throw the football and a very talented but under rated defense. The Bucs are not a balanced team. After Fitz shocked the NFL for the first two weeks, teams adjusted their defenses. The Saints were always great at throwing the ball but they had three losing seasons in a row and 4/5 from 2012-16 until they developing a running attack led by Kamara to go with Drew Brees.

11 Years and this team hasn't sniffed the playoffs.....Best 5 year plan ever!!! Anyone thinking that we need to dump Winston please tell me who the fuck is out there that is better?The defense is the main problem, kicking next, and finally the running game. That Jones dude is fucking awful !!They don't have a legit #1 back.  The defense new the Ravens were going to run the ball and couldn't do a fucking thing about it it was sad to watch! But I guess you get used to it can't wait to see what Zeke is going to do next week  

10 hours ago, rook said:

Marino made the Super Bowl once and got clobbered by a well balanced 49er team that could run and throw the football and a very talented but under rated defense. The Bucs are not a balanced team. After Fitz shocked the NFL for the first two weeks, teams adjusted their defenses. The Saints were always great at throwing the ball but they had three losing seasons in a row and 4/5 from 2012-16 until they developing a running attack led by Kamara to go with Drew Brees.

Rook we're talking about Winston's play on the field.  I agree with the above, but my point was that in Freeman's great game he had a running back who couldn't be stopped.  Where's the game where he took over and couldn't be stopped?  It just seems like he's very consistent...a notch above journeyman, but not elite.  Maybe his high end will be Eli Manning.

9 hours ago, BFFL said:

No matter who we get as a new coach Winston will be part of the deal. The last couple of games he done a good job he had the one bad throw yesterday but it was just bad throw not a bone head play. 

In an era of protected QBs and receivers, is a smart QB who lacks accuracy and precision in his passes going to win many games?

Bucs have had a competent running game once in the last four years. People wondering why Winston struggles with the deep ball. One of the reasons is that rarely do the Bucs have an effective play action game. Throwing deep under duress and when the defense doesn't have to respect the run, it's not necessarily a recipe for success. And, yeah, I know, Fitzpatrick did it for two games. He then proceeded to shit the bed for four games. The o-line. The RB's. Until you become at least serviceable in those areas, the QB position will struggle.