Sign in to follow this  
Craig B.

Worst Call in NFL History

1 hour ago, Craig B. said:

The "Leaping Call". Scroll to 21:45.  Man this game still hurts, 15 years later.

That was awful. But Burt Emanuel’s catch in the 99 NFC Championship with the Bucs driving formthe winning touchdown hurt worse. That catch is ruled correctly, Bucs wins the Super Bowl in 99.

56 minutes ago, Tundra said:

That was awful. But Burt Emanuel’s catch in the 99 NFC Championship with the Bucs driving formthe winning touchdown hurt worse. That catch is ruled correctly, Bucs wins the Super Bowl in 99.

You really think Smoothie was getting them in the end zone after he couldn't for the 58 minutes prior?     They had 1st and goal inside the 5 early and couldn't get in.    Also, Fisher the mullet with McNair and George in their prime were very good.    Our offense was awful.   Pretty sure we won a home game 6-3  that season vs Chicago.

59 minutes ago, UncleBuc said:

You really think Smoothie was getting them in the end zone after he couldn't for the 58 minutes prior?     They had 1st and goal inside the 5 early and couldn't get in.    Also, Fisher the mullet with McNair and George in their prime were very good.    Our offense was awful.   Pretty sure we won a home game 6-3  that season vs Chicago.

I agree with all this, especially about the offense in that Rams game. The Emmanuel catch/noncatch wasn't a scoring play, or anything really close to it. The Bucs could have had first and goal with unlimited downs, and they would still be trying to get into the end zone in that game. You know, losing that game hurt at the time, but honestly I was so fucking proud of the Bucs defense and how they pretty much shut down the Rams except for that one great pass to Proehl, that it really didn't bother me too much, because I felt like they had gotten everything they could possibly get out of that season, at least with hard-headed Dungy as head coach.  And Proehl was covered. It was just a great throw. 

As an aside, I remember being on the message board around that time imploring everyone to sit back and just appreciate that defense. You only get to root for a defense that good for a short window of time, and then you'll never see it again. After 2002, the bottom slowly, gradually, rotted and fell out. Think about what Tampa sports fans got to be a part of those few years. An NFC Championship game, a Super Bowl, a World Series appearance, and a Stanley Cup, all in the space of five years. That was a great time to be in love with sports in the city. Thank God the Glazers drove that passion out of me. I should thank those motherfuckers.

1 hour ago, UncleBuc said:

10 minutes ago, Pirate said:

I agree with all this, especially about the offense in that Rams game. The Emmanuel catch/noncatch wasn't a scoring play, or anything really close to it. The Bucs could have had first and goal with unlimited downs, and they would still be trying to get into the end zone in that game. You know, losing that game hurt at the time, but honestly I was so fucking proud of the Bucs defense and how they pretty much shut down the Rams except for that one great pass to Proehl, that it really didn't bother me too much, because I felt like they had gotten everything they could possibly get out of that season, at least with hard-headed Dungy as head coach.  And Proehl was covered. It was just a great throw. 

As an aside, I remember being on the message board around that time imploring everyone to sit back and just appreciate that defense. You only get to root for a defense that good for a short window of time, and then you'll never see it again. After 2002, the bottom slowly, gradually, rotted and fell out. Think about what Tampa sports fans got to be a part of those few years. An NFC Championship game, a Super Bowl, a World Series appearance, and a Stanley Cup, all in the space of five years. That was a great time to be in love with sports in the city. Thank God the Glazers drove that passion out of me. I should thank those motherfuckers.

Damn, fellas. Take some Midol or something. Geez.  The reason I’m confident is that Dilfer would have been healthy and ready to play in the Super Bowl, and would have led the Bucs to glory against the Tits. 

The thing is that Sandlot was pretty good under pressure.  Maybe it was one benefit of not really giving a shit.  So I think there was a 40-50% chance of the Bucs winning.  To put it another way....how many of you guys turned the TV off after Emanuel made the catch?  I have no idea what would have happened, and the ref/NFL robbed me of the opportunity to see it.

Oh and while we are bitching...Dilfer finally woke up when he returned from being benched, and at the end of the season Bitch McKay decided not to bother trying to keep him (as a backup or to compete with Sandlot).  Nor did he go after anyone capable of starting.  I'm not saying Dilfer was much more than a journeyman QB, but when King gave zero effort, we had no options.

10 hours ago, UncleBuc said:

Yes we did. Dilfer was benched after that win.  Zeier had one start and broke his ribs. Dilfer got his job back and then busted his shoulder against Seattle.

The 16-3 win over Seattle, 19-10 win over Atlanta (defense scored the only TD) and the 14-13 win over Washington were not offensive master pieces. We might have gotten lucky enough to beat the Rams (a big maybe) but I agree we would not have been good enough to beat the Titans.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:09 PM, Tundra said:

Dilfer would have been healthy and ready to play in the Super Bowl, and would have led the Bucs to glory against the Tits. 

On 12/6/2018 at 9:55 PM, Tundra said:

C'mon Pirate. I lay out the Dilfer play and you go silent? Cmon man! One more epic rant!

I am sad. 

Lol! Sorry, I just saw this. I was actually considering responding to that, but I think all my animosity for Bucs QBs of the past has been distilled into my hatred for Jameis Winston. Dilfer was an underachieving dick, but at least he wasn't a misogynist rapey weird-ass motherfucker. 😊

And if I might continue my earlier rant after watching this Chicago game tonight, all I can say is all of you fuckers, and I'm not pointing any specific fingers here just in general the new wave of NFL fan, who want to see nothing but offense can suck my old-school dick. Watching the Bears put their neck on the Rams tonight was absolutely beautiful. I fucking love defense, and if you look back at the defensive rankings of the Super Bowl champions of the last few years, as opposed to their offensive ranks, the old adage is still true.  Tonight is the most fun I've had to watch an NFL football game in longer than I can remember, and I'm glad I took the time. I actually tuned in just because I know Trey Burton and his family but it was the Bears defense that kept me from losing interest. There is hope for the NFL after all. 

Just a little harmless Sunday evening rant. Have a great week all.

The game tonight was enjoyable to watch. The game a couple of weeks ago between the Chiefs and Rams I wasn't a fan of and I had to listen to everyone fawn over it. What most people didn't get was the complete abandonment of the run game in that game. The beauty of a football game is the pace and tempo of the mixture of plays. Watching a QB throw 7 on 7 drills isn't interesting to me.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:53 PM, Craig B. said:

The "Leaping Call". Scroll to 21:45.  Man this game still hurts, 15 years later.

A game I try and forget. I know the rulebook better than most fans and probably some coaches and when the ref rather smugly said "Personal Foul....LEAPING!" I was "WTF is LEAPING and why is there a problem with it?"

There are two sporting events which, as an adult, I was not able to sleep after. There was the Mets/Dodgers playoff game in 1988 in which Gooden had the Dodgers down in the 9th until the ump call a pitch to Mike Davis which was right down the middle a ball and walked him after which Scioscia hit a HR to tie the game and the Mets lost in extra innings and then there was the Bucs game against the Colts.

7 minutes ago, rook said:

The Seahawks got away with leverage (Bobby Wagner) tonight which is no question a 15 yard personal foul.

I thought they were going to call the Leaping. And then they didn't. Some teams get preferential treatment. Refs suck COCKS. 

5 minutes ago, Tundra said:

I thought they were going to call the Leaping. And then they didn't. Some teams get preferential treatment. Refs suck COCKS. 

He did not leap. He put his hands on the back of his team mates and used them for leverage to jump over the line. Been illegal since the days of Charlie Waters of the Dallas Cowboys who was notorious for that. I saw leverage in the playoff game against Washington in the 1999-2000 season after Gramatica kicked the go ahead extra point Refs flagged it too.

2 hours ago, rook said:

He did not leap. He put his hands on the back of his team mates and used them for leverage to jump over the line. Been illegal since the days of Charlie Waters of the Dallas Cowboys who was notorious for that. I saw leverage in the playoff game against Washington in the 1999-2000 season after Gramatica kicked the go ahead extra point Refs flagged it too.

It's all leverage whether you stand on the dude's back or do a handspring off of it.  I wasn't differentiating closely enough. 

Based on the replay it should have been a violation of Unsportsmanlike Conduct section 3.1.p

" Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick."

When an OL can't stand up to block a player projecting himself over the OL with leverage from another player or with a running start, it certainly gives the defense an advantage which should be tempered.

In this case, I don't know how it was missed. There's an official specifically assigned to watch for this type of action and when a defensive player lands on the other side of the OL standing on his feet, it probably should trigger something off in the officials head that maybe he had some help getting there.

This wasn't particularly complicated and it was recognized immediately on your favorite TV show and all across the web.

19 minutes ago, Pass the Fentanyl said:

When an OL can't stand up to block a player projecting himself over the OL with leverage from another player or with a running start, it certainly gives the defense an advantage which should be tempered.

In this case, I don't know how it was missed. There's an official specifically assigned to watch for this type of action and when a defensive player lands on the other side of the OL standing on his feet, it probably should trigger something off in the officials head that maybe he had some help getting there.

This wasn't particularly complicated and it was recognized immediately on your favorite TV show and all across the web.

It was missed because the Seahawks were supposed to win. Conspiracy!!!