Sign in to follow this  
Dunn_Deal28

Dear Donovan Smith...

4 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

Smith is fine. They need a RG and a young RT to take over for Dotson.

Go back and watch every game this year. The Bucs threw the ball more than any other team, and Smith blocked well for a good majority of those games. 

He got beat yesterday and had a bad holding penalty called on him. 

I watched the Titans vaunted oline get abused yesterday. Including top LT Lewan and former number one pick Cocklin was getting beat almost every other snap in pass pro.

Smith is a solid LT, regardless of what some in here may think. He will get a nice contract and be a stead player for a long time here. 

Funny how the same fans who forgive Winston for doing any wrong and say “he’s still young”, yet they bash Smith when he has one bad game.

Hopefully the people you know football will make the right call on re-signing Smith. 

Except he hasn't been.

Look fan, I know you have some kind of love affair with the guy, but he played poorly yesterday and has several games this season. And steady is not the word I would use. If anything, he has been the opposite of steady. Stop making excuses for the guy. Let's face it, 4 of the 5 players on the line could use an upgrade. Move Smith to Guard and you might have something, but he is too slow to react at the LT position and it causes problems. They just aren't as magnified because of how terrible the line play is down from him.

12 hours ago, SamuraiBuc said:

Except he hasn't been.

Look fan, I know you have some kind of love affair with the guy, but he played poorly yesterday and has several games this season. And steady is not the word I would use. If anything, he has been the opposite of steady. Stop making excuses for the guy. Let's face it, 4 of the 5 players on the line could use an upgrade. Move Smith to Guard and you might have something, but he is too slow to react at the LT position and it causes problems. They just aren't as magnified because of how terrible the line play is down from him.

Which several games were those? I’m not being a smartass, but seriously just saying it doesn’t make it true. Tell me which games and when Smith was playing bad. 

I have all the games on DVR and would be more than happy to go back and see what I missed.

Truth is the Bucs threw the ball more than any other team in the league, either by design or mostly out of necessity.

Watch that first Saints game again when Fitz was never touched by one of the better dlines in the league. Smith was outstanding.

The Eagles game Smith dominated his side. The Bucs gave up a sack to Cox when he owned Benenoch and another to a blitzing LBer.

Against the Steelers Smith shutdown TJ Watt, one of the better pass rushers in the league. This, despite throwing the ball 50 times. In that game Dotson struggled as well as BeneCock again.

The Bears game, both Dotson (against Mack) and BeneCock were awful. Dotson I can forgive because everyone struggles against a heathy Mack. BeneCock was destroyed all game in pass pro and in the running game. 

Smith played at a pro bowl level in September IMO.

Ill get to October later. 

11 hours ago, fanofdabucs said:

Which several games were those? I’m not being a smartass, but seriously just saying it doesn’t make it true. Tell me which games and when Smith was playing bad. 

I have all the games on DVR and would be more than happy to go back and see what I missed.

Truth is the Bucs threw the ball more than any other team in the league, either by design or mostly out of necessity.

Watch that first Saints game again when Fitz was never touched by one of the better dlines in the league. Smith was outstanding.

The Eagles game Smith dominated his side. The Bucs gave up a sack to Cox when he owned Benenoch and another to a blitzing LBer.

Against the Steelers Smith shutdown TJ Watt, one of the better pass rushers in the league. This, despite throwing the ball 50 times. In that game Dotson struggled as well as BeneCock again.

The Bears game, both Dotson (against Mack) and BeneCock were awful. Dotson I can forgive because everyone struggles against a heathy Mack. BeneCock was destroyed all game in pass pro and in the running game. 

Smith played at a pro bowl level in September IMO.

Ill get to October later. 

I will keep this simple for you and you can claim a victory.

1. Just saying you aren't being a smartass doesn't make it true; I know you are and you know you are.

2. Go ahead and waste your time with all your DVRs of games. Be my guest. It's not going to change my perception of Smith, just like I am not going to change your perception of Smith. The difference between you and I is that I am ok with that.

3. The Bucs are 4th in passing attempts behind Pittsburgh, Indy, and Minny, but oddly enough, Bucs QBs have been sacked more than all 3 of those teams......by a lot (with the exception of Minnesota - who has 2 less sacks given up than Tampa). I guess all of those rest on Benenoch's shoulders, huh?

4. I have never seen Smith "dominate" anyone. He plays well in stretches. That is closest to the truth about Smith. I personally think he would be a better Guard than a Tackle, but that is my opinion.

5. You claim he played at a "Pro Bowl level in September". Fabulous. I guess he's been playing out of this world October - December, since he had such a great start. Truth is he isn't playing at a Pro Bowl level and hasn't been. I guess playing well in the first couple of games in a season are going to win you a Super Bowl nowadays.

Some website, which I will not endorse here, call him the #53 Offensive Tackle in the NFL. So let's see......there are 32 NFL teams and each start 2 players at tackle. So the magic number for starting OTs in the NFL is 64 and Smith is ranked 53. Solid? Not hardly. Average at best. And there are plenty more analytical sites to support more of what I (and others) see than there are that support what you see.

So I will say it again. We will just have to agree to disagree about Mr. Donovan Smith and move on.

10 hours ago, SamuraiBuc said:

4. I have never seen Smith "dominate" anyone. 

This is all I need to read from you to realize you either don’t really watch many of the games or don’t know what you’re watching. I assume you watch the most of the games.

We will never agree on Smith, I get it that you think he’s no good, or “average at best”. I just hope the people who understand football disagree with you and lock him up to a long term deal. I think they will. 

29 minutes ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Never ceases to amaze me how the most informed can prop up a mediocre player for years. Or in the case of someone like Hargreaves, a complete liability on the field. 

You mean like Josh Freeman?

As for Hargreaves, I was one of the few who thought he shouldn’t have been drafted and ripped “the experts” who talked about his “ball skills”. I watched him play his entire career at UF and he was good near the LOS but struggled when tested down field. I wanted the Bucs to draft Floyd from UGA. 

You keep showing your ignorance DD. 

Please keep ripping Smith, that makes me feel even better about him. 

I have been disappointed in him compared to his previous years. It did expose me to how stupid PFF is. They gave him low grades in the seasons I liked but this year they have been giving good grades for what I would consider a sub par year. LT is a tough position as you are facing the defense's best players. RG is the worst position on this team. Benenoch has blackmail pictures on the coaches or the other guys just stink so much that he gets playing time. The TE position has hurt the OL position since we do not have OJ Howard to help out. Ryan Jensen started out fast but has been regressing. RT with Dotson and Wester is okay but it could be that the RG play is so bad that you give them a break. 

2 hours ago, Tundra said:

Take an old pumpkin off the porch. Put it in a warming oven until the internal temperature reaches 100 degrees F. 

Cut a hole in it. The hole should be sized for you. 

Enjoy!

The kids used to wonder why I'd carve pumpkins with a round mouth every Halloween. I said it made them look surprised instead of scary. And I think they were.

:o

Kinda feel like DMs problems deal more with lack of motivation than lack of talent.
He needs to be resigned - if he doesnt shape up we could still use him on the right side (theoretically) paired with Wester

I would go all out to get rid of Warhop and bring in some OL coach with some fire to light a fire under this group.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:57 AM, rook said:

I have been disappointed in him compared to his previous years. It did expose me to how stupid PFF is. They gave him low grades in the seasons I liked but this year they have been giving good grades for what I would consider a sub par year. LT is a tough position as you are facing the defense's best players. RG is the worst position on this team. Benenoch has blackmail pictures on the coaches or the other guys just stink so much that he gets playing time. The TE position has hurt the OL position since we do not have OJ Howard to help out. Ryan Jensen started out fast but has been regressing. RT with Dotson and Wester is okay but it could be that the RG play is so bad that you give them a break. 

What some of the most informed don’t understand is that every LT in the gets beat at times. And some have a DE or 2 that just give them fits. 

Smith is still in his rookie deal and only 25. He’s damn solid and has never missed a single snap. 

This line had one huge weakness and that’s at RG. It’s always hard to judge a center’s play who is next to a shitshow at guard. Dotson has really good in pass pro and pretty awful in run blocking. 

But sure let’s replace a talented, always available, 25 LT..or in true Buc fuctard fashion, move him to guard. :boobs:

Donovan Smith is inconsistent. That's the issue.  Anyone -- EVERYONE -- knows that or they are fucking blind and stupid. 

A decent Offensive Line Coach could beat that out of him. Warhoppingfuck ain't the guy. 

Keep Donovan Smith. Bring in a real offensive line coach. 

Joe Thomas, one of the best LTs to play the game for team that sucked his entire career, said it best last night.

He said, and I’m paraphrasing here:

LTs have the toughest job in the NFL. We play 66 snaps a game and if we give up a sack or two, we have a “bad game” and we aren’t “consistent”. A DE has one sack against during the entire game, and he’s a HOFer”. 

I play every snap against a rotation of great pass rushers and I give up a sack every couple games, and the idiot fans think I stink. 

We have a game, or even stretch of games where we don’t give up a sack and no one notices. 

EXACTLY!

There is no prefect LT in the NFL folks. They all get beat, they all give up some sacks. 

Smith isn’t perfect, but he’s solid and still getting better. 

Smith has been the starting LT for every offensive snap for a team that throws the ball a ton, and is often playing from behind so the DE isn’t worried about the run.