Sign in to follow this  
rook

The personnel on these defenses are far greater

Defense is outlawed in the NFL. Kansas City committed 5 turnovers but still put up 51 points and 500 plus yards.

NFL is not suppose to be a Madden video football game. I wonder how the Bucs 2002 defense or the Bears 1985 or Ravens 2001 defense would have done in this era.

6 minutes ago, rook said:

Defense is outlawed in the NFL. Kansas City committed 5 turnovers but still put up 51 points and 500 plus yards.

NFL is not suppose to be a Madden video football game. I wonder how the Bucs 2002 defense or the Bears 1985 or Ravens 2001 defense would have done in this era.

They wouldn't have any defensive players left to play.

What's most amazing to me is that the the ultra-conservative Andy Reid has totally embraced the new age offense. You don't hear too much about him either. Most of the love goes to Mahomes, Hill and Hunt. But it looks to me like Reid's changed his philosophy and play schemes. Would kill for this guy in Tampa. Instead we get Koetter. 

There was a NBA Coach Paul Westhead of the Denver  Nuggets(nicknamed Enver as there was no D anymore) that played a run and gun style that he developed in college. No defense was really played since you were pressing all the time and allowing lay up after lay up. His team averaged 119 points per game but gave up 130 points per game. Scott Skiles who was average NBA point guard for the Magic put up 30 assists on them.

This is what the NFL appears to have adopted.

I was watching that ridiculous display of no defense last night and comparing it to the Sunday night Bears Vikings game. I much more enjoyed watching the chess match between Chicago's offense and Zimmer's defense. I don't care what anyone says, even though the NFL is set up for offenses to thrive, defense still wins championships.  Look at the rankings of offense and defense of the last 10 Super Bowl champions. Four of the last 10 Super Bowl winners had a top-ranked defense, number one overall. Not one of them has been the top-ranked offense. 

I think the Rams and the Chiefs have tremendous defenses in terms of skilled personnel but that the rules neuter their ability to play well against the best QBs.

Who knew that the Bucs giving up 40 points against the Saints would be the Saints only loss this year?.

Which begs the question, why spend top picks or big contracts on defense?

Aaron Donald might be the best overall player in football, and the rest of the Rams defensive line is made up of first round picks. They also have first rounders at every level with Baron and Fowler at LBer and Peters, Joyner and Talib (although he’s hurt) in the secondary.

You need a play maker at QB first and foremost. Then secondly you need a offense coach who is creative and understands today’s game. Then you need a bunch of skill players and an oline decent enough to protect and open holes. 

37 minutes ago, fanofdabucs said:

Which begs the question, why spend top picks or big contracts on defense?

Aaron Donald might be the best overall player in football, and the rest of the Rams defensive line is made up of first round picks. They also have first rounders at every level with Baron and Fowler at LBer and Peters, Joyner and Talib (although he’s hurt) in the secondary.

You need a play maker at QB first and foremost. Then secondly you need a offense coach who is creative and understands today’s game. Then you need a bunch of skill players and an oline decent enough to protect and open holes. 

Donald was the difference in Monday Night's game.