Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bucaroo Bonzai

Winston vs Fitz as our starter|?

Recommended Posts

The new head coach (and hopefully) new GM should decide who is going to be quarterback of the future for the Bucs. With Winston under contract for next year, the new GM/head coach will have one year evaluate Winston for themselves . . . if they want it.  Under no circumstances should the Glazers hire a new GM/head coach with the dictate that Winston be the starter either next year, or beyond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winston won't have the option picked up.

If the new head coach and GM like Winston enough to want to give him a shot, he'll get a Blake Bottles deal. Protects the Bucs in case Winston has a huge season in 2019 - still have him for 2020 and 2021 at a reasonable price. But, if he sucks, you cut him loose with little cap consequence.

I know this will hurt many Bucs fans, especially some of the resident experts, but more than likely, Winston is starting for this team next year. Underwhelming rookie class and limited options in free agency.

Get a GM that can build an offensive line and running game and find a coaching staff that has a clue. That will go a long way towards turning this nonsense around, whether it's Jameis under center or someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone seriously think Winston is the longterm answer? I don’t.

Does anyone seriously think he’s worth a bigtime $100 million plus longterm deal? I don’t.

If the answer to those questions is no, then playing him and risking him getting hurt is completely asinine.

The fucktard Glazers reportedly haven’t given up on Winston. So they’ll likely fire Koetter and look for a new QB whisperer to come in and turn Jameis the rapey turnover prone loser into a franchise QB. Because the Glazers can always be counted on to do the dumbest fucking thing imaginable.

If I was running the team, we would be looking for a new QB. Fitz is old and inconsistent and Jameis is a dumb, rapey, turnover prone douchebag whose teammates don’t respect him and who can’t be counted on. Good luck to the next head coach with that reclamation project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that 2019 isn’t projected to have a great qb class. So, it’s either Winston for one year at $19 to $20 million (I think) or Fitz for one year maybe for half that (if he will sign a one year deal).  With Winston it’s a last ditch hope that he will turn the corner under a new regime (like Goff with the Rams)  With Fitz, it will likely save the team money. On the field, their production has mostly been the same this year - up and down and a ton of turnovers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Winston won't have the option picked up.

If the new head coach and GM like Winston enough to want to give him a shot, he'll get a Blake Bottles deal. Protects the Bucs in case Winston has a huge season in 2019 - still have him for 2020 and 2021 at a reasonable price. But, if he sucks, you cut him loose with little cap consequence.

I know this will hurt many Bucs fans, especially some of the resident experts, but more than likely, Winston is starting for this team next year. Underwhelming rookie class and limited options in free agency.

 

Not sure about the option being picked up or not. The Bortles deal does put Jacksonville on the hook for at least two years. If they were to cut him after this season, for instance, they get a $16.5mil dead money hit. Even after '19 it is still $6.5 mil. He had $26.5 guaranteed.

I can see the Bucs offering that type of deal if the new staff wants to work with him. it's also possible the Bucs pay the option which allows them to walk away after next season if they wish and then they can franchise him for at least a season if necessary.

Jackson, McCoy, Grimes, probably Brate (that's $35mil right there) and maybe JPP won't be back next season in all likelihood. Not sure how much of a factor the option really will be in terms of cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SundayTicket said:

Agree that 2019 isn’t projected to have a great qb class. So, it’s either Winston for one year at $19 to $20 million (I think) or Fitz for one year maybe for half that (if he will sign a one year deal).  With Winston it’s a last ditch hope that he will turn the corner under a new regime (like Goff with the Rams)  With Fitz, it will likely save the team money. On the field, their production has mostly been the same this year - up and down and a ton of turnovers. 

If it's not Winston, I wouldn't want Fitzpatrick. He is who he is which isn't all that great and probably going to be worse. At least with Winston you have a puncher's chance of him getting even just a bit better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pass the Fentanyl said:

If it's not Winston, I wouldn't want Fitzpatrick. He is who he is which isn't all that great and probably going to be worse. At least with Winston you have a puncher's chance of him getting even just a bit better.

 

Fitz might be a decent stopgap for a year, while he mentors the new young quarterback. My standards for Bucs QBs are pretty low at present. It’s sort of a win at this point if they make it through a season without sexually assaulting anyone or stealing from the local supermarket. If they can actually play a little football too, it’s almost like we won the lottery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

 

Fitz might be a decent stopgap for a year, while he mentors the new young quarterback. My standards for Bucs QBs are pretty low at present. It’s sort of a win at this point if they make it through a season without sexually assaulting anyone or stealing from the local supermarket. If they can actually play a little football too, it’s almost like we won the lottery.

After the last first round QB we should just be happy he likes pussy, knows how to handle a gun without injuring his hand, and doesn't need to lie about taking the wrong medications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pass the Fentanyl said:

Not sure about the option being picked up or not. The Bortles deal does put Jacksonville on the hook for at least two years. If they were to cut him after this season, for instance, they get a $16.5mil dead money hit. Even after '19 it is still $6.5 mil. He had $26.5 guaranteed.

I can see the Bucs offering that type of deal if the new staff wants to work with him. it's also possible the Bucs pay the option which allows them to walk away after next season if they wish and then they can franchise him for at least a season if necessary.

Jackson, McCoy, Grimes, probably Brate (that's $35mil right there) and maybe JPP won't be back next season in all likelihood. Not sure how much of a factor the option really will be in terms of cap.

Interesting. Didn't realize Bortles deal was so unfriendly. Option makes more sense than especially if other deals are coming off the cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DD, if they don't pick up the option on Winston, I really doubt he'd re-sign with the Bucs.  I'd say take the 20 million, spit it up between 2-3 'talented' QBs who failed elsewhere, and see if either steps up.  Hell, I like the Kaepernick idea as well (as #3).  I'm tired as hell of the Bucs drafting the QB of the future and pissing away 4-5 years in hopes that they save the franchise.  If Winston was the man, we wouldn't be in this situation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×