Sign in to follow this  
kicker

What I see as a simple solution to the kicking problem

The NFL goal post: goal posts must be 18 feet 6 inches apart and extend vertically at least 30 feet above the cross bar. The top face of the cross bar must be exactly 10 feet above ground. So the kicker has an 18 1/2 foot diameter to get the ball thru the goal post. What I see as the problem is that kickers that fail try to adjust the trajectory of their kick to compensate for outside influences on the path of the ball. But look at the misses, just slightly wide right or left unless there's a complete breakdown of the play. Solution: kick to the center of the goal post regardless of wind (unless its a frickin' gale wind) and quit making mental adjustments which most of the time lead to missed points.  

For Bucs kickers, I'd like to see the goal posts actually be the out of bounds markers on the left and the right hand side of the field at the end zone (160 ft).  There should be no height requirement either so that if a ball simply rolls through the endzone, we still score.

1 hour ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

For Bucs kickers, I'd like to see the goal posts actually be the out of bounds markers on the left and the right hand side of the field at the end zone (160 ft).  There should be no height requirement either so that if a ball simply rolls through the endzone, we still score.

Maybe that's what Quizzie was trying yesterday. He's a man before his times.

4 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

The Bucs would still find a way to fuck it up and NOT score.

And, not to be technical (okay, I'll be technical) the angle you have diminishes the farther away from the uprights, especially when kicking from the hashmarks.  While this link illustrates the various angles on a college field, the same applies to NFL kicks, regardless if you are kicking from the hashmarks or the center of the field.  The further away, the smaller the angle you have.  

I'm done.

http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/EMAT6680Su09/Park/As6dspark/As6dspark.html

3 hours ago, Craig B. said:

And, not to be technical (okay, I'll be technical) the angle you have diminishes the farther away from the uprights, especially when kicking from the hashmarks.  While this link illustrates the various angles on a college field, the same applies to NFL kicks, regardless if you are kicking from the hashmarks or the center of the field.  The further away, the smaller the angle you have.  

I'm done.

http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/EMAT6680Su09/Park/As6dspark/As6dspark.html

That’s pretty good but only one genius per thread allowed.